• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Matthew Mercer, Orion Acaba, Cristina Vee Star in Final Fantasy Type-0 HD/Agito Dub

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GVman

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:01 am Reply with quote
...so are we gonna get the Japanese dub, too?
LinkTSwordmaster

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:11 am Reply with quote
I actually kinda like the Xilla English dub (a couple of the VAs mentioned for Type-0 so far have Xillia credits), so I guess I shall reserve judgment until I can actually hear everyone talking in-game.

I reeeeally hope JP voices are an option though, as it makes no sense whatsoever to leave them out when BluRay exists now. I can understand if the Bump of Chicken song at the opening might have its vocals removed, but even FFX/X-2 HD had JP vocals in a particular FFX scene - I hope SE at least makes the effort to try & include the entire original game untouched + whatever HD and English extras they add in.

Crossing my fingers for Demon Souls-style always-on internet co-op mode.
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:17 am Reply with quote
GVman wrote:
...so are we gonna get the Japanese dub, too?

If you don't want an English dub, get the PSP version and download the English translation patch. The only FF game that had terrible voice acting was X. Vanille in XIII was bad too, but everyone else was decent.
Escaflowne2001

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:46 am Reply with quote
Matthew Mercer is Leon S. Kennedy. He's alright. I've never really had problems with an English dub tbh.

Though dual audio is best to keep everyone happy as long as it's not to expensive after all this time.
Sarukah

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:59 am Reply with quote
Animeking1108 wrote:
Vanille in XIII was bad too, but everyone else was decent.

Vanille's VA was in no way bad at her job; she did well. Maybe you didn't like the sound of her voice, but the job itself was in no way bad enough to call bad.

LinkTSwordmaster wrote:
I reeeeally hope JP voices are an option though, as it makes no sense whatsoever to leave them out when BluRay exists now.

It does make sense when there can be a lot of money involved, as well as licensing matters that make it either almost impossible or totally impossible. Plus tons of other possible industry/business matters. Dual audio isnt as simple as just "Do we have enough space on the disk?" which is why its still not a completely regular occurrence yet.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:51 pm Reply with quote
Sarukah wrote:
Animeking1108 wrote:
Vanille in XIII was bad too, but everyone else was decent.

Vanille's VA was in no way bad at her job; she did well. Maybe you didn't like the sound of her voice, but the job itself was in no way bad enough to call bad.

LinkTSwordmaster wrote:
I reeeeally hope JP voices are an option though, as it makes no sense whatsoever to leave them out when BluRay exists now.

It does make sense when there can be a lot of money involved, as well as licensing matters that make it either almost impossible or totally impossible. Plus tons of other possible industry/business matters. Dual audio isnt as simple as just "Do we have enough space on the disk?" which is why its still not a completely regular occurrence yet.

And yet 90% of the time, that's the excuse the developers give. Square Enix generally uses their own seiyuu anyway that hardly ever do anywork outside of SE so tehy should able to get them in no problem, especially on PS4. But they could go with the lame crap they did with FFX remake "We want both versions to say, PS3 and Vita versions so we cant put JP audio because it wont fit on Vita.". Was super freakin lame obviously, especially since X has such terrible acting.

And as much as I hate dubs, I'd still rather listen to a crappy dub than spend 500 dollars on a console just to play this game. No reason they couldnt have made it on last-gen consoles.

So after two-strikes against this remake, They better at least leave BUMP OF CHICKEN's amazing song alone on the English release. Fujiwara wrote that song to fit Type-Zero and it fit perfectly. IMO, the only perfect vocal FF song.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 2:13 pm Reply with quote
FFX's dub was fine. FFXII's dub is on the best dubs ever done. FFXIII's dub was at some points better then the Japanese and so on. Square's track record with FF dubs is pretty fine to me I don't really care about a sub option. Maybe it will be DLC like LR.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Kurohei

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 2:17 pm Reply with quote
Crisitna Vee... Already loving this. But if Papenbrook is Ace...
GVman

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 2:39 pm Reply with quote
I don't get the hate for FFX's dub. The director for the original Japanese clearly had no idea how actual old men sound when he made it.
merr

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 3:35 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
Square Enix generally uses their own seiyuu anyway that hardly ever do anywork outside of SE so tehy should able to get them in no problem, especially on PS4.

This really isn't true anymore. Type-0's cast in particular is full of high profile seiyuu, e.g., Ami Koshimizu, Megumi Hayashibara, Tomokazu Sugita, etc. The only Square-Enix exclusive is Mayuko Aoki as Seven.

Quote:
And as much as I hate dubs, I'd still rather listen to a crappy dub than spend 500 dollars on a console just to play this game. No reason they couldnt have made it on last-gen consoles.

The screenshot from E3 trailer makes it look like they're doing more than a simple upscale, which would explain the lack of a Vita/PS3 port.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 3:49 pm Reply with quote
Well it's quite simple why there's no Vita version. The Vita is a sales disaster. It's a dead system and Square would probably like to sell more then 100,000 copies in the US of a big FF game.

Also at best the title is a 2015 title since 15 is not coming out till 2016 probably. Does it make sense to release a big PS3 title late 2015? kind of, but it equally makes sense to release it on PS4/Xbone which are sure to have gained an even bigger audience.

For all we know this project basically just started and was given to the developer of FFXHD after that warped up.

Also SCEA blocks straight PSP to PS3 ports. See MH3 and PW. They would have had to bundle it with something.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 4:56 pm Reply with quote
My PS4 is ready.
electricpatriot

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 6:41 pm Reply with quote
Cristina Vee as Cinque. I like the english cast already.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 4:24 am Reply with quote
Has anyone played Agito. I only heard bad things. Pay to win, it´s a low budget/reused content cashgrab and so on. Is that true ? The Type 0 Fan-translation was released last week so if anyone isn´t willing to wait you can get a taste now. The silver lining is that we finaly get a proper FF next year(?) to forget the HD trio somewhat. Yapan liked Type 0 we will too. And FF XV has a capable team behing it so i am optimistic. I didn´ hate XIII 1-3 by Lighning need do never return.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1