• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Super Smash Gameshow Bros.

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rootsofjustice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 5:04 pm Reply with quote
For the record, there are multiple screens you can choose from on the Gamepad in Mario Kart 8, including a map and the primary screen.

That being said, I wish you could add the map onto the main screen. Splitting your view between the TV and the Gamepad to check your map is worse than real driving.
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 5:32 pm Reply with quote
If you are in first place.....you don't need a map. Toad and yoshi are always on your ass, drafting.
Wayne.No

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 5:59 pm Reply with quote
Gundam Extreme Vs (and full boost) are super fun games.

I am actually excited about Uncharted 4...but the reason for that is that the dudes that made 2 and the Last of Us are making this one. they did not really have a hand in 3 I guess? so that gives me some hope because I really liked 2.

Also Super excited for BloodBorne, I just got into playing Dark Souls 1 not too long ago so I am hoping to just kinda go from that to BloodBorne.

I don't reallllly care about Smash Bro's at all, but like Zac I will probably get it to play with people. Though I'm into a lot of that other Nintendo stuff Also kinda intrigued in a Zelda game for the first time in a decade? Whenever Wind Waker came out. I kinda dig the art style of this one.
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 6:32 pm Reply with quote
Zac you gotta hit the mini screen in the top right hand corner of the tablet, to get the game screen on the tablet in Mariokart 8.

I cut like a sushi chef with the Wii U tablet.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 6:53 pm Reply with quote
-Didn't know that Swery did the story for The Last Blade. I know that Daisuke Ishiwatari made his first mark in the industry with LB1, though I think it was only as part of the background designers or something like that. While I have never really gotten a firm grasp on either entry, I will agree that The Last Blade is an extremely well done fighting game series that still holds up great to this day. If you have a Wii or Wii U it's well worth buying at least one of them on the Virtual Console.

-I will also attest that Zac is wrong about being unable to play Mario Kart 8 solely on the Gamepad. If you look at the Gamepad while racing, there's a small window in the top-right that's copying what's on the TV. Tap that window and the Gamepad screen shows what's on the TV fully. I'm kind of surprised that Zac never noticed that ability, but he also admitted that he doesn't really find it appealing to play on the Gamepad so whatever.

-Honestly, I found little to get really excited about from the Monday reveals. I also really liked the Tomb Raider remake, but not enough to make me get a Xbone for the sequel. The same could also be said of the Phantom Dust remake, which I think is really awesome, since I still own the original Xbox game, which is playable on the 360, & I have the DLC content, so why should I spend hundreds to play it with nicer graphics & some new psychic powers? I will say that I believe there are fan-run servers that allow original Xbox games to be played online via LAN, kind of like how Phantasy Star Online still works now.

Sony, likewise, didn't do much for me, either. The only thing that really caught my interest was that we'll be getting the Playstation (Vita) TV. There are some Vita games that I've wanted to play but I didn't want to buy a Vita to do so, so the PS TV makes it possible for me to play (most of) them. In fact, I already bought Ys: Memories of Celceta & Persona 4 Golden just so I have them on hand once I buy the PS Vita. Also, I can move most of my PSOne Classics & download-only PSP games onto the PS TV, opening up space on my PS3. Unfortunately, I won't be able to play games like Gravity Rush or Shinobido II on the PS TV, due to their multi-touch mechanics, but I guess you can't have everything at times. The Grim Fandango remake sounds neat, too.

Since Dave was wondering, here's a list of all the Vita games, and which ones work on the PS TV. And, yes, Persona 4 Golden works, Dave; I think the only "blacklisted" games are the ones that utilize multi-touch, since the PS TV can only simulate one touch screen at a time with a Dual Shock controller.

Nintendo, though, got me interested in almost everything they announced. Pac-Man in Smash Bros. was something I never vocally hoped for but kind of wished for in the back of my mind, Bayonetta 2 including a Wii U port of the original is exactly what that release needed, the new Zelda looks really cool, Mario Maker is looking really awesome, the Kirby Canvas Curse claymation sequel is an instant buy for me, and even Splatoon looks really fun. The new Star Fox is something people were hoping for, Xenoblade Chronicles X looks great, and as a fan of the Warriors Series I am really anticipating Hyrule Warriors.

-I must admit, though, that this podcast did come off as far more cynical than I usually expect from you guys. I mean, even when you guys are admitting how much you're looking forward to some stuff you still seemingly had to add in some sort of negative thing, or at least sarcastic cynicism, afterwards. I'm fine with cynicism & all, because it obviously can't be all rainbows & gold, but it sometimes can go a little too far & sound like you guys are hard to please. Now, to be fair, it's not like you guys were negative throughout the entire podcast, but I did feel like you guys weren't as interested in the topic of the episode as usual; can't say I can blame you for being like that, though. This is just a personal feeling on the episode, though, and once it got to the Twitter questions the negativity stopped feeling so overpowering to me.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:24 pm Reply with quote
I feel pretty dumb for not noticing you can play the game on the gamepad, but I'm really happy I know that now so thanks for the headsup!

Sorry you felt the podcast was too negative, Lord Geo, but tone is one of those things that's really subjective. I didn't think we were too negative at all. E3 two years ago? Sure. This time? Nah. But that's all personal taste; sorry you didn't enjoy it this time around. Maybe we'll buck up enough for ya next time.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:41 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Sorry you felt the podcast was too negative, Lord Geo, but tone is one of those things that's really subjective. I didn't think we were too negative at all. E3 two years ago? Sure. This time? Nah. But that's all personal taste; sorry you didn't enjoy it this time around. Maybe we'll buck up enough for ya next time.

Oh, I was able to listen to the entire thing, so it's not like I couldn't handle the tone of the podcast. I will agree that Nintendo was the only one to really deliver anything worth calling exciting & praiseworthy this year, but I will say that I'm not fully expecting Nintendo to go to the dark side in regards to Amiibo like you're worrying about. Could it go that way? Sure, but maybe for a game here & there or even a specific series, ala what's being done by Activision & Disney. There's no way Nintendo could go the Skylanders route for their entire console & make it work.
CG-LOVER

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 11:12 pm Reply with quote
Gotta agree with Lord Geo that the podcast had a cynical attitude to it overall. I know that Zac said he doesn't think that's the case, but Lord Geo is right in that there was no purely positive reaction to anything at E3 this year. I mean Zac's most positive moment was in talking about the Nintendo showing at E3, but that was all capped off with him saying that he must have regressed into a nerd arrested development in order to like these things. I just never heard one discussion about a game that didn't include a cynical attitude like that attached at the end. If the game show from a couple of years ago was more cynical than this, it must have really really been a bad E3 for you guys that year.

But of course, as you said Zac this is a subjective matter and it's just my own personal take on the show.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
varmintx

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 11:36 pm Reply with quote
I can't play using the gamepad anyway because the damn button for gas is too hard on my thumb.
Wolfe

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 2:11 am Reply with quote
I will third the above statements about the cynicism of this installment. I've listened to E3 shows all week while at work, and found most of them good-natured, if tended to by exhausted journalists. But there was a very dismissive nature to your attitude in this E3 showing, Zach. Listening to your guests try and suggest their excitement for anything, immediately followed by your waving it away, punctuated with forced laughs, was painful enough that I considered turning the show off several times.

And while I'm at it, I'd like to go on record as saying that this is not the only show you've demonstrated this poor attitude. In nearly every installment that doesn't deal with film and the movie industry, your tone and general attitude towards guests is not only cynical, it's rude. You are -clearly- burnt out on this entire scene, and further agitated by moderating these forums (both of which I can understand), and I can only imagine what's keeping you involved is it being a decent job. But for those of us listening (or at least myself), the jaded approach is not charming, or entertaining nor is it engaging. It's almost a slog.

You have good guests. You ask good questions. Your co-hosts are usually enjoyable to listen to, even the non-regulars. But the constant sighing, groaning, and dismissing of anything and everything? It's as tiring to your listeners as forum trolls are to you.
I did not write this as a personal attack, nor an assassination on your character. I have in fact put this off several times, thinking it just poor manners of me to write a forum post solely to gripe about someone. But after this show, I felt it was time.

I've stopped listening regularly, and after this may consider not listening at all. I understand that you do not profit from this show and do it more as a service, and are under no obligation to entertain any criticisms leveled at you. But a speaker needs an audience. And I can't imagine that I'm the only one finding this cynical approach to hosting frustrating.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 2:35 am Reply with quote
I agree about Child of Light. It looks very neat at first glance but you play a bit and it actually looks all fairly typical children's book stuff. Different by game standards but not actually that great long term.

No Man's Sky looks cool although yeah, I'm waiting to see a bit more in terms of what you actually do in it.

Destiny? Will probably be decently competent in terms of gameplay. Unremarkable otherwise. More or less my opinion of Halo. Might play it. Not really gonna get excited for it.

I've never played any of the Witcher games. But yeah, that looks cool. Plus I'm super hyped for Dragon Age III. Loved both previous games (even II) despite both being rushed, uneven, incomplete productions that were deeply flawed for various reasons. The prospect of a Dragon Age game that they actually finally take their time with (and boy have they ever) totally blows me away.

Uncharted...yeah. Uncharted 3 just left me so cold. Although...Uncharted 2 was actually one of the best games of the generation I think. So I don't know. Maybe they'll get the magic back. Although personally, I'd definitely rather they just launch a new IP.

Frankly I think Nintendo is probably at their best when they're desperate. Successful Wii Nintendo was pretty complacent. But desperate Wii U Nintendo is just throwing everything at the wall to see what sticks.

Far Cry 4...yeah. Okay. I'm not super excited for it but I liked the previous one. That play with your friends thing is kinda brilliant though. If one person buys the game, are his four friends gonna always wait to play it when he/she wants to? Hell no. They're gonna play it a bit and decide they like it and then super quickly get sick of having to coordinate with their one partner who owns the game and buy their own copy.

That was always Sega's whole schtick though right? Being the hip, cool alternative to Nintendo. It just kinda fell flat after Sony came along and outdid them at it.

I found out recently that you can play old PS1 games on Vita at which point I immediately wanted one. But then I found out that Spyro and Crash still aren't available for some reason and now I don't anymore.
Juno016

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 2:43 am Reply with quote
Haha. Poor Zac. I've listened to the ANNCast a few times and it definitely seems like Zac just has a negative attitude in general. Like, he's probably just having fun and being honest in his own way (I've got several friends who are cynical and can't help but be brutal when they express their views, despite having no negative intentions), but it does sound quite demeaning. I've personally shrugged it off as Zac being Zac, but there have been several times where I sat back and thought, "Is this really necessary to say?" For the most part, it's not so much his opinions that I disagree with (I love hearing his critical views). It's his attitude and how he expresses those opinions. The professionalism I see from nearly everyone else on the site sits in great contrast to him sometimes.

I don't think any of us want to make you feel bad, Zac. It just might be a good time to reflect on your words a bit, assuming it's important to you. I mean, you are who you are and you speak how you speak, but I wonder if there aren't any better ways to be critical and speak your mind without the attitude many of us hear/see. =3
Wayne.No

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 4:49 am Reply with quote
Man, guys. Not being excited about some video games and being a totally negative person are two very different things. Also did you listen to the same podcast I did? because I heard Zac be pretty positive about quite a few things.

Also I think asking people to tone their opinions down when talking about video games is just silly. Guys come on, its video games. Sure they are pretty fun sometimes but being like 'Waoh! Mister Negative!' when some one is like "Eh, none of these video toys applied to me too much this year". I dunno man, just seems silly to me.

No one is telling anyone not to be excited about stuff they are excited about. If you go to the movies and you see trailers before that movie and you are like "eh, seems kinda lame" most people probably are not gonna be like "Woah, tone done the opinion, dude!" Be excited about the stuff you like but don't be saying other people need to change their way of thinking just cause you think it is a little negative.

I'm pretty excited for Uncharted 4 and when Zac was kinda like 'who cares' My first thought wasn't "WOAH, MAN! I do!" it was "Yup those games sure do have a lot of problems and I could super see why some one would not care about them at all".

Maybe this seems a little unfocused. I don't know. I'm just sayin' "Really? guys?"
Juno016

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 8:27 am Reply with quote
Wayne.No wrote:
"Woah, tone done the opinion, dude!"

Like I said, it wasn't his opinion so much as his attitude and how he expressed his opinion. And it's not just here. It's on the forums and such, too, where he's not giving his opinion, but doing his job. It's just that sometimes, he tends to insult the person he's warning or make a rude comment when he closes a topic. In the casts, it's his tone of voice. Definitely not every time, of course. It's just an observation I've made that has painted my view of him as a person. One doesn't need to compromise honesty to sound more professional and give one's own opinion. =P
In the end, it's up to him. If he's not compromising himself by doing what he's doing, then so be it. As long as he's aware of how others think of him, he can choose if he cares or not about how he comes off to us sometimes. He still does his job and gives his opinion, no matter what and there's nothing wrong with that. We're just pointing it out because it can be pretty offensive sometimes, and not just because he disagrees.
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 10:46 am Reply with quote
After having now listened to dozens and dozens of podcasts in the past year or so, I don't at all see Zac as being excessively harsh, demeaning or cynical like I did at the beginning. Zac is just very honest, in a way that other people often cover up with a polite face, and I think that's what I've come to appreciate the most about his commentary. If you're not used to listening to unfiltered opinions, the negative parts will seem to stand out because it's not common to hear that sort of honesty. And I can really see how it must be difficult to deal with the people on the ANN forums, considering it seems to attract all of the obsessive, reactionary, argumentative dregs of the fandom (myself included Laughing ).

As for E3, it did kind of feel like Sony and Microsoft were bringing more of the same old same old, while Nintendo felt refreshing and even a bit exciting. The Wii U doesn't seem as dead in the water as it did a few months ago, so hopefully it will keep up the momentum (I don't own any of the next-gen consoles yet, I'm kind of waiting/hoping for a Smash Bros. bundle though Razz). I also loved the commentary on SSFIV and The Last Blade, since those are both games I enjoy.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2