• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Exclusive Premiere: Dragonball Z Battle of the Gods Trailer

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zeo1fan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 7:53 am Reply with quote
Wow. Some of those backgrounds looked awful.
ShatteredWorld

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 7:54 am Reply with quote
so glad I waited out for this Very Happy
iamthevastuniverse

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:01 am Reply with quote
Jason Douglas sounds excellent.
BringBackUzume

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:21 am Reply with quote
I think the narration in the beginning is a little cheesy, but this is just a trailer so it's nothing to get worked up over. The dub sounds really good from what I'm hearing. Great work, Funimation. I am surprised they're going with "Beerus" though. I thought "Bills" was the official name.
Gyt Kaliba

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:28 am Reply with quote
zeo1fan wrote:
Wow. Some of those backgrounds looked awful.

Well...it IS Toei. Some parts of the movie do look really, really good though.

I AM THE VAST UNIVERSE wrote:
Jason Douglas sounds excellent.

Definitely pleased with what I'm hearing of him here. I was a bit worried based on how he sounded in Battle of Z, but it sounds like he's doing a great job actually in the movie. Not too surprised though, as he's a great actor, I've liked him in everything I've heard him in.

BringBackUzume wrote:
I think the narration in the beginning is a little cheesy, but this is just a trailer so it's nothing to get worked up over. The dub sounds really good from what I'm hearing. Great work, Funimation. I am surprised they're going with "Beerus" though. I thought "Bills" was the official name.

It might be tweaked a bit actually in film, since that's already a little off (sounds a little different than Sabat's usual Shenron voice anyway), and a lot of those Goku lines almost sound like they were pulled from other sources, at least to me...but it'll still be somewhat similar, since that's pretty much what to expect from Super Saiyan God.

As far as the Bills thing goes though, that was just a fan-name that caught on pretty early in the film's Japanese release, and it just hasn't quite shaken it off yet. The name pun for the character is somewhat convoluted. The scriptwriter apparently meant for it to be a pun on 'virus', but Toriyama misinterpreted it as a pun on 'beer'. So in an attempt to keep both puns relevant (although the virus one really doesn't need it at this point), Kanzenshuu coined 'Beerus' and it seems FUNimation picked up on that as well. That's the order of events I recall, at any rate.

I prefer just simply 'Beers' myself, but I'm slowly getting more used to 'Beerus', and it was probably a lot easier to copyright and stand out as a character name.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Azure-Wind91

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:11 am Reply with quote
All of Goku's lines were stock from Dragon Ball Kai
Gyt Kaliba

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:15 am Reply with quote
Just got done sourcing a few of them too. Goku's 'I'm a Saiyan that was raised on Planet Earth' and 'I will...DEFEAT YOU' were both rather prominent in the Kai, part 4 trailer, at about 0:31 and 0:44 respectively.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCmd_uUT4g8&hd=1
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:52 am Reply with quote
Like how the trailer makes the movie seem a thousand percent less goofy and meandering than it was. Half of the time they were just screwing around doing completely asinine things that had nothing to do with fighting the purple dude.
Nonaka Machine Gun B

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:11 am Reply with quote
http://dragonballz.com/battleofgods/#castlist

Cast list. Minus the return of original actors for Android 18 and Oolong, no surprises.
BringBackUzume

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:34 am Reply with quote
Nonaka Machine Gun B wrote:
http://dragonballz.com/battleofgods/#castlist

Cast list. Minus the return of original actors for Android 18 and Oolong, no surprises.

ERMAHGERD Meredith McCoy is back! I'm dead. Wake me when the movie is in theaters. I can't even...
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:51 am Reply with quote
I'm so glad to see Meredith McCoy back. Android 18 was always one of my favorite DBZ characters, and it's her recast in Kai that disappointed me the most. She did such a brilliant job as the character, Colleen, as amazing as she is, just couldn't re-capture that fire. I always suspected that there was an issue of availability since Sabat DID mention he wanted to get Meredith back. Guess it finally worked out this time.
ZeArNkN

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:27 am Reply with quote
Glad to see Laura Bailey back too. Has she been in any Funi dubs since Shin Chan season 3?
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:38 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I noticed the sound drops from parts of DB(Z) Kai for Goku's dialogue, myself. Weird. Is Mr. Schemmel's recording not finished yet? Is it still being edited?

Glad they went with "Beerus" and not "Bills". I personally like "Birus", though.

Not sure why they bother casting Meredith McCoy as 18 again. I don't recall her even having any lines. What, they're just going to have her grunt when she attacks Beerus for that one second she does something? I bet McCoy just sent in some grunts and they overlaid it.

Kyle Hebert as the narrator is... troubling. I was glad when they did away with his style of narrating. He sounds like he's doing an announcement for a monster truck rally. SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAY!

Josh Martin returns as Fat Buu, huh? I never cared for him in the role.

But, at least Monica Rial is still Bulma and Kara Edwards returned to be Goten and Videl.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 1:30 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Not sure why they bother casting Meredith McCoy as 18 again. I don't recall her even having any lines. What, they're just going to have her grunt when she attacks Beerus for that one second she does something? I bet McCoy just sent in some grunts and they overlaid it.

Maybe she has some extra lines in the extended version? I BELIEVE she's living in Dallas again (don't quote me on that), so it probably wasn't too difficult to get her in again. I think both her and Brad Jackson would've come back to voice their respective characters in Kai had they not moved away, and now they're (by coincidence) both back in Dallas?
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 1:32 pm Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
penguintruth wrote:

Maybe she has some extra lines in the extended version? I BELIEVE she's living in Dallas again (don't quote me on that), so it probably wasn't too difficult to get her in again. I think both her and Brad Jackson would've come back to voice their respective characters in Kai had they not moved away, and now they're (by coincidence) both back in Dallas?

I've seen the extended edition. I don't recall her having any further lines. I recall Oolong having some, though (rock paper scissors battle).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3