• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Aldnoah.Zero (TV) (both seasons).

Goto page   Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:03 pm Reply with quote

Aldnoah.Zero (TV)
Aldnoah Zero 2 (TV) (discussion starts here)

Genres: action, science fiction
Themes: mecha, war

Plot Summary: In 1972, the Apollo 17 mission discovered a hypergate to Mars on the surface of the moon. Soon a war breaks out between Earth and Mars, and Martian soldiers begin to descend from the sky, riding steel giants, intent on exterminating humanity.
----------------------------------

Preview:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXTol2NCEFY

I think this was an original anime announced sometimes in February. Regardless, I think it has potential. The premise sounds intriguing and the staff looks nice especially the director, who worked on Fate/Zero.

We also get soundtrack. composer Yuki Kajiura and Kalafia involved with the music as well.

Last edited by Stark700 on Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 12:15 am Reply with quote
i never care about the director because many directors make bad shows when the source materials are bad. Fate Zero LN was a good source, that guy also directed Girls Bravo, bad manga source.

It's all about the original writer or the original source.
meiam

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 11:20 pm Reply with quote
Ahhh another mech anime featuring high school student, because why would the army locked in an all out war use trained pilot rather than inexperience/whiny/naive teenager?

I'm still gonna watch it cause I'm a sucker for mech (that one on the poster looks real good), but can I just have one mech anime without a teenager cast every decade?
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:36 pm Reply with quote
Episode 1:

Decent start. The soundtrack was very noticeable along with the OP song played at the end. Nonetheless, it was somewhat cliche with the stuff going on and the characters. They explained the premise somewhat already but I hope there will be more based on the mechanics soon.

I'm okay with the mecha designs right now although I don't think they are too special or anything. Seems like the MC is going play a big role in this later though.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 3:20 pm Reply with quote

This one looks interesting.
Story sounds intriguing.
The wholespoiler[ Earth-Mars-Vers] thing has a lot of possibilities.
Hope they will make the story deeper & wider.
It could go in any direction.
The foundations have been laid.
The real start of the story was awesome!
The action has arrived.
I might give this one a few more episodes.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 5:36 pm Reply with quote
Knowing that Urobuchi is the one behind it makes things pretty predictable. Expect max amounts of despair at every turn.

The princess was a decent person spoiler[so you knew she wasn't going to have a happy ending. But then again, they made a point of not actually showing her during the attack, so that was probably a decoy and the real princess is fine.]

I do think it was a pretty good first episode and I'll look forward to more. Though the main dude seemed at bit too calm. I bet him and Tatsuya would get along famously Laughing
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 5:51 pm Reply with quote
It seems like the hype train will be real for this show. Also happy 4th of July, New Orleans Twisted Evil
One-Eye

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 11:02 pm Reply with quote
Ehh, I hope there's some kind of twist coming otherwise that was some blatant death flag waving there. I mean I hope there is a twist cause the obvious I'm evil and have bad intentions guy was you know...obvious. Well, at least they didn't have characters walking around in a circle for half an hour info dumping, that's a plus. Anyways I'm willing to give the show a shot maybe it will surprise.
Alberto7

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 12:43 am Reply with quote
I think they made up to the episode's predictability with storytelling, dialogue, and pacing, all of which I found great. Besides, this is Gen Urobuchi we're talking about here. There's got to be some kind of twist and/or new mystery coming up (if spoiler[supposedly killing the princess] wasn't enough), otherwise I'd be disappointed. I think this episode set itself out to establish characters and setting (especially setting), and that it did. Not to mention the amazing soundtrack. It was awesome. It gets a 4.5/5 from me.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 12:48 am Reply with quote
I'll freely admit that Urobuchi is a good author, it's just that the dude needs to cheer the f up.

Speaking of soundtrack, when that song that played while the city was burning started, I couldn't help but go "Oh hey, Attack on Titan music."
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 12:55 am Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:

Speaking of soundtrack, when that song that played while the city was burning started, I couldn't help but go "Oh hey, Attack on Titan music."

Yeah Kill la Kill and AoT came to mind during that scene. Well I guess if it ain't broke, don't fix it applies here.
Jacquipuff

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 1:16 am Reply with quote
I often find mecha series to be boring, but I decided to try this one out after seeing some of the people behind it, and so far it actually looks pretty good. I like the character designs and the rest of the visuals, the music (especially the piece that played while the city burned at the end, and the theme song, since I love everything by Kalafina), and the characters seem pretty good from what's been shown so far, although I've never been too fond of the "I show no emotion and remain completely calm, no matter what's happening" type of character that Inaho seems to be.

And, like most people, I strongly believe that there was some kind of spoiler[body-double] situation going on with the princess, so she's most likely spoiler[not dead.]
Lord of the Fleas

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 2:49 am Reply with quote
Spoilers for Aldnoah.Zero and Kamen Rider Gaim:

Considering the first episode of Aldnoah.Zero and episode spoiler[35] of Kamen Rider Gaim, it seems that Urobuchi has acquired a taste for spoiler[detonating nuclear warheads over North America]...
Galap

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 2:58 am Reply with quote
HOLY SHITOLI!

That's one of the best first episodes I've ever seen in anything! It's one of those times where the level of complexity is just a couple of orders of magnitude higher than anything else around.

So far, it's excelling at operating on many different levels of scale: talk about political tensions of the entire world overlaps with the characters talking about the way they like their eggs. Everyone seems like a real individual with levels of nuance to them, for example, the teaching instructor isn't just an idiotic drunk, but also has a unique worldview that doesn't jibe with his society. The older sister character is cute-acting, but serious about her work. She chastises the lieutenant for drinking on the job, but also apparently sees some good in him too.

I liked how the guy just was like, "Hey guys, there's a missile over there. We should probably get out of here." People might say that that's unrealistic or is an indication that that guy is weird in some way, but I think it was actually pretty realistic. In moments where something weird happens, things you say can come out pretty strangely.

I have a suspicion that spoiler[The people behind the missile attack work for (or are direct members of) one of the martian knight factions, and the attack on the princess was just to provide an excuse for them to attack Earth. It may not even be terribly secret to anyone, just there for the sake of plausible deniability.]

There was a lot of direct exposition, which a lot of people tend not to like. I mind it a lot less than most people do, so I was totally ok with it here, especially since what was being explained was pretty dense and complex (and interesting as a general statement). I would be a pretty sad if this were just a primer to explain the 'premise' and there's little to no idea-level stuff from here on, and that may happen since there are a good number of things like that. However I'd put my money on it not being that way in this case.

I love how you can tell that they're on a spaceship/station in orbit around a planet before it's even explicitly shown in the first scene because of the diffuse light from below.

One little thing I like is how the character designs have the characters sporting a bunch of little stray hairs. When I draw, especially drawing portraits, I tend to lose myself in those little skew hairs on people, and it's really cool that that's focused on here, too. It humanizes the characters a little, because it brings them closer to the realm of realism; their hair here is of biological origin, not artistically stylized.

I also really liked that music that played when the explosion shockwave hit at the end. Really good aesthetic choice. Emotionally impactful.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:31 am Reply with quote
Middling first episode, okay but in no way great. Setup was a bit plain and the main character needs to find a personality fast. I can't help but think of similar-in-tone Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion, whose stunning first episode blew me away. Aldnoah.Zero has a big fight on its hands to keep my attention, because right now it is kinda unimpressive.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 90