• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Whispered Words GN 1

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Second Fire Shadow

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 11:41 am Reply with quote
It's a shame we never got a second season of Whispered Winds, it was one of the better Yuri animes I've seen in many years.

The only complaint I really have for the manga is that the plot is stretched out a little. Other than that, it's a really good manga, even for people who aren't interested in Yuri. It's up there with Girl Friends, which is in my opinion, the best developed Yuri story ever written. Seriously, how did that not get an anime adaptation?

Last edited by Second Fire Shadow on Sun Jun 22, 2014 12:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 12:12 pm Reply with quote
Second Fire Shadow wrote:
It's up there with Girl Friends, which is in my opinion, the best developed Yuri story ever written. Seriously, how did that not get an anime adaptation?

When we have solved that mystery, we will we one step closer to having solved the Great Mysteries of the Anime World. Wink

I actually have to go watch the Whispered Words anime; it came out before I realized how much I like yuri. At this point I'm enjoying this series more than Girl Friends, but I can also see how that could change - Morinaga's series is clearly much tighter, and WW could definitely meander more than it needs to.
Utsuro no Hako

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 12:31 pm Reply with quote
I believe the anime aired the same season as Aoi Hana, which ended up getting all the attention from Yuri fans.

I've also gotta say Ikeda's newest series, 34-sai Mushoku-san (Ms. Unemployed 34 Year Old) is really great, especially if you've ever spent any time out of work and understand how hard it is to wake up before noon when you don't have anything to do, or have ever tried to fix a vacuum cleaner with duct tape so you don't have to buy a new one. Too bad it's exactly the sort of series that will never get an official English release.
Dfens

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 12:49 pm Reply with quote
Wow how did a unknown publisher get this title? I thought someone like Seven Seas or somebody more well known would get this title.

I might start picking this series up, took them a hell of a long time though.

One of the best Yuri series out their. Still Waiting for Aoi Hana I'd buy the whole thing right now if it was available.

Actually Sasameki Koto aired 1 month after Aoi Hana ended but the general consensus from the people I've talked to who like Yuri titles that it's hard to top Aoi Hana.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 1:03 pm Reply with quote
I didn't know Sasameki Koto got an omnibus release. I'll have to pick this up soon.
normajean19

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 1:11 pm Reply with quote
I do find it annoying that only some of the sound effects are translated, they should have either translated all of them or none of them.

Regardless of the translation issues, I'm still happy to be able to own this series. I can't wait to get the rest of it!
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 1:37 pm Reply with quote
Huh. So that's what the title means in English.
Pokenatic

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 2:51 pm Reply with quote
Huh, I didn't even know the manga got picked up over here until I saw this review. I'll probably get it at AX assuming I can find it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 3:02 pm Reply with quote
I'll definitely put this one on my to-read list. It's always nice to see more quality yuri get picked up.
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 3:06 pm Reply with quote
Dfens wrote:
Still Waiting for Aoi Hana I'd buy the whole thing right now if it was available.

Not the same thing as a book, but you can purchase volume 1 digitally on Amazon. http://smile.amazon.com/Sweet-Blue-Flowers-Vol-Manga-ebook/dp/B00JAU8WC4/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1403467170&sr=1-1&keywords=sweet+blue+flowers
Polycell

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 3:11 pm Reply with quote
I'm not too surprised not many people have heard it was released - I don't even remember how I found out. I do remember ordering from Amazon before RightStuf even listed it, though.

Amazon and B&N also have the next volume up for November(though Amazon hides it under "formats and editions").
RestLessone

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 3:39 pm Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
I'm not too surprised not many people have heard it was released - I don't even remember how I found out. I do remember ordering from Amazon before RightStuf even listed it, though.

One Peace Books doesn't seem to advertise them much, as least on the places I frequent. ANN announced Whispered Words after it went up on Amazon. The articles for their other works (Black Bard, Smuggler, Raqiya, etc.) seem to go the same way; Amazon page comes up and ANN confirms.

Sad to read that they have taken translation short cuts, even if they are relatively new and probably rather small. I was thinking of getting Black Bard, but I feel a bit more hesitant.
Polycell

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 3:55 pm Reply with quote
That'd be it. I'm with Blood- in that thread, though I'd prefer a NISA release for the anime.
configspace

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 5:37 pm Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:
Second Fire Shadow wrote:
It's up there with Girl Friends, which is in my opinion, the best developed Yuri story ever written. Seriously, how did that not get an anime adaptation?

When we have solved that mystery, we will we one step closer to having solved the Great Mysteries of the Anime World. Wink

I actually have to go watch the Whispered Words anime; it came out before I realized how much I like yuri. At this point I'm enjoying this series more than Girl Friends, but I can also see how that could change - Morinaga's series is clearly much tighter, and WW could definitely meander more than it needs to.

It used to be on Crunchyroll, back in 2009, listed as Sasameki Koto:
http://www.crunchyroll.com/sasameki-koto/videos
The entry is still there but its streaming license must have expired.
meiam

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:39 pm Reply with quote
As much as I liked the anime, I really think it would have been a millions time more interesting if Ushio had been straight. As it were for the most part it just felt like a straight love anime with the main character having trouble getting there feeling across to there childhood friend. You could just gender flip Sumika and probably 90%-95% of the story would be exactly the same. That's not a negative per se, but it does kinda make it seems like just another romance story, with the yuri just being the small difference, like some love story have one character being from a rich family or being foreign or something.

I guess writer/publisher probably consider that Yuri/Yaoi fans would skip it for not being true homosexual, while straight fan would avoid it for not being straight. It's really a shame as I think you could explore some really untouched subject that you couldn't do under any other situation.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3