• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: My Love Story!! GN 1

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ryu Shoji

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 11:46 am Reply with quote
I really enjoyed the preview of this series in Weekly Shonen Jump, so I'll most likely be picking up the first volume when I can.
lebrel

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 1:24 pm Reply with quote
"Takeo is not what we tend to view as “attractive” within the genre, but he is by no means ugly"

Really? I think he's intended to be actively unattractive, physically. That's kind of the setup: will the girl end up with the fugly guy with a heart of gold or the hot guy with issues?

I spotted this when it came out in French (as "Mon Histoire") and it's cute fluffy fun but I don't think it ever gets over the love triangle angle. (The French manga market is so awesome; they get Chihayafuru and Usotsuki Lily and Saint Young Men... my wallet will never recover, sniff.)
Hawkmoth

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 1:26 pm Reply with quote
Takeo is moe.
Fronzel

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 1:58 pm Reply with quote
I think it leans a bit too hard on Takeo's naivete as a means of driving (pretty shallow) conflict in the plot. One of those deals where if people would talk to each other more, the story would collapse.
Desertking22

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 3:18 pm Reply with quote
I loved the preview I'll be buying the manga like I do with Nisekoi speaking of which I loved the crossover.
The Mad Manga Massacre

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 5:22 pm Reply with quote
I'm super excited for this series! I have the first volume pre-ordered. Thanks for the awesome review again Rebecca!
zeo1fan

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 5:47 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
He's quick to help anyone in distress and has a strong sense of social justice.

So what you're saying is, he's literally a person who cares about social justice. Laughing
Fronzel

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 7:02 pm Reply with quote
zeo1fan wrote:
Quote:
He's quick to help anyone in distress and has a strong sense of social justice.

So what you're saying is, he's literally a person who cares about social justice. Laughing

But this story is about someone who's pleasant and helpful.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 11:58 am Reply with quote
Sounds like it's perfect for me! I loved the heck out of Otomen, and since I usually dislike typical shoujos, I'll probably pick this up too. Thanks for the review! Very Happy
phia_one

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:42 pm Reply with quote
Fronzel wrote:
I think it leans a bit too hard on Takeo's naivete as a means of driving (pretty shallow) conflict in the plot. One of those deals where if people would talk to each other more, the story would collapse.

That's unfortunate. I'm really picky when it comes to shojo and what you said is one of my main pet peeves.
melmouth

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 3:14 pm Reply with quote
Yes "Whispered Words" may be a case of, "If people talked to each other, the story would collapse."

However from reading lots of manga and descriptions of life in Japan, I am of the opinion that it is a country where people don't speak up about their feelings, wants, or desires much. Perhaps doing that is considered rude or likely to disturb social harmony. If that's the case, this is a story that simply reflects the mores of the society that produced it. As such, it's a touching, sweet, and suspenseful love story.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1