• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
BoA 2013 (Philippine Anime Convention)

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Liddo-kun

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:08 am Reply with quote
Greetings. New to ANN, and sorry I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this.

I've been going to anime conventions for years, and I always share pics and tell a bit on what happened at the convention. Have always been sharing at Animesuki's cosplay thread. Just thought that maybe it's ok to also share on this forum. Smile

This will be my first post, and first share at ANN.
For the first convention that I would share, here's BoA 2013. All pics taken by me.

Best of Anime 2013

Held at SMX Convention Center (Function rooms 3 and 4). This is a large anime convention. And has many special guests. We attended the last day which is September 15. Went with the usual preparation of having my bag almost completely empty except for a small notebook used for taking cosplayer's names (and of course money to buy ticket and souvenirs Smile)

Without any futher delays here are the pics:

Kinomoto Sakura cosplay by Renka-chan. We met her at the hallway of the second floor.

Time to buy some tickets.

Entrance to the function room.

Went inside the function room.

And we see someone familiar inside.. the Mogu Mogu mascot! There were two of them last time at Oh No Manga convention. Maybe the other one got eaten? Just kidding. Mogu Mogu tastes good. ",)

Rikka Takanashi cosplay by Rebecca. We found her at the far end of the function room, along with some other cosplayers.

. .

Kyoko (from Madoka Magica)

. .

Aeris (from FF7)

Exploring the area, and looking at the shops. Panda eyemasks, pokemon earrings, and many more.

. . .

Calypso Posh booth, they sell some cute stuff here. Name of the booth girl is Nissi, and she's cosplaying as Sonia nevermind from Dangan Ronpa 2. Smile

We found a booth that sells pink hoods similar to what Sonata (fom AKB0048) wears. Karen tried one out. ^^

In every con, there's always a Gundam area.

Saw two Inu x Boku cosplayers while continuing to explore the shops. Yanna cosplaying as Ririchiyo Shirakiin and Alyss as Karuto Roromiya.

After taking a few steps from the Inu x Boku cosplayers, we saw a booth selling japanese rice. The boothgirls are Nikki and Arianne. They are super nice to talk to, and they also gave us free onigiri.

Sashanishiki japanese rice

. . .

Fujifilm mascot, can't resist not to take a pic with the square yellow cam. Smile

Pic with one more mascot.

Starmarie (スターマリー・すたーまりー)

Didn't realize exactly how it happened, but maybe due to some sounds coming from the stage. I realized that the jpop idol group Starmarie is starting their performance. Ran off to the stage.. but even though I ran, there are others there before me, and I could only stand at the back. No seat left.

Sharing the videos that I took. I apologize for the shakiness. Could not focus well, because I was mostly on tiptoe while taking the vids.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=WRVEIbUICvM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apyeu7CyeKw&feature=player_embedded

Anyway, they're amazing. It's my first time to be able to watch live, a real jpop idol group. Smile :bow:

Checked my cellphone for text messages after watching the performance. Two of my friends are outside in the hallway. In front of Function Room 4.

Back to hallway of 2nd floor.

There are as many cosplayers outside as there are inside.

Shirou-chan cosplaying as Alice, dollhearts version. Probably one of the best Alice cosplays I've seen.

Reached the front of function room 4.

Both of my friends are crossplaying as male characters. Tiana as Kuroko from Kuroko no Basuke. And Aimee as Sasuke. I didn't know why they decided to crossplay, but it turned out nice.

. . .

The silent man. He's a "recurring" characater, in the sense that I often see someone like him at cons. Not sure if same one because he's always masked and never talks. This time he gave his cam, and asked me by hand signals to take a pic of him. Very Happy

Marie cosplaying as Karin from Kamichama Karin

Went back inside the function room.

Want some souvenirs?

Sarah crossplaying as Death the Kid from Soul Eater. And her friend Jewel is doing a costrip.

Drawing area

Ann as Chihiro Fujisaki from Dangan Ronpa. She's another one of the booth girls at Calypso Posh.

Mogu Mogu area. We tasted some samples, and they're good.

. .

People assembling model kits at the gundam area.

Walked a bit more mong the booths, and saw another person that I know.

My friend Anjeline cosplaying as Irene from Dragon Nest. Actually, she's cosplaying for the Dragon Nest booth. She got the job just recently.

. . .

And as an added bonus. Here's a pic of Anjeline taken a week before the con, with her stuff toy Bear-kun.
spoiler[

Watched The Conjuring with Bear-kun! Smile]

Yomi as Hungary from Hetalia. Smile The pics may look similar, but on one she's holding a ladle, and on the other she's holding frying pan.

Cute tissue holders from Curls and Twirls. :3

Met one more friend. Eilene working as one of the booth girls at Vogue Royal Cosplay. This cosplay shop has plenty of costumes and accessories for your cosplay needs.

Mary Anne cosplaying as Saber, she also works at Vogue Royal Cosplay.

Aj cosplaying a verion of Miku

Reimu Hakurei doll on display at the figurines area.

It's now late afternoon. And I'm beginning to feel a little tired - and thirsty. I asked my companions if they would like to rest for snack. Karen (AKB cosplayer) and Michelle (maid cosplayer) said they're still ok. Ok then, let's keep going. Smile

Received a text message. Yuki is outside.

Went out to the hallway of second floor.

Yuki, she works at Otakuzine Anime Magazine. She's not cosplaying any particular character today. Just doing a costrip. ",)

Rose cosplaying as Sorceress from League of Legends

Camille and her "husband" Ghost Rider.

Karen likes to take a pic with this robot guy. Like the silent man cosplayer we met earlier, this robot doesn't talk a single word. o-o

Thirsty, so we went back inside the function room to get some snacks and refreshments

Inside the function room.

Surprised to see that Fuji camera has turned blue! :p

Passed by the game area.

Jenna Marie. She's a sister of Sakura-chan, a cosplayer that I know. Sakura-chan isn't around though. Took pic of the little sis, with permission from the mom of course. Smile

Ah, reached the refreshments area at last. Lined up for some cold drinks and burger steak. It's a small world, I met another friend while lining up for the food. Anime dazed

My friend Sabrina cosplaying as Machi from Hunter x Hunter.

Recharged after taking a cool drink! Smile
It's almost evening at this point. Well, time to explore a little more while we still have time.

Ian cosplaying as Sakiko Awaji from Ib. She told me that Ib is a game.

K-On cosplayers (Kimono version).

I wonder how many people drank these to get pics of Alodia and Ashley? :confused:

Milhi from Dog Days. Cosplay by Rayven

Orochimaru cosplay by Ayah. That smile. o-o

Met another one of my friends. Miku cosplay by Nikki Sabado.

spoiler[
She cosplayed as Rikka last Feb 23, at AME 1UP

http://forums.animesuki.com/showpost.php?p=4571654&postcount=1857

Nikki on deviantart:

http://nikkisabado100.deviantart.com/
]

Saint Benilde Booth. They give pamphlets for promoting their school, and they also invite people to test the games that their students created.

. .

A band playing on stage. The action never stops on BoA 2013. Wink

It's already evening, I guess it's time we got some Otakuzine comics as souvenirs. Smile

Pockey area. So many varieties of pockey can be bought here. There are some kinds that I haven't seen before.

Anime themed clocks. I plan to buy one if I see this store again on another con.

And some more cosplayers.

. . .

Cosplay Competition

Sorry, due to tiredness. I was unable to take good pics of the competition. There's a good Daimos cosplayer, and a short funny moment when they put the wrong background music on the person cosplaying as Light Yagami - the background music when he entered the stage is Hello Kitty. *-*

Myrtel Sarossa - she's one of the judges on the cosplay competition. Smile

Oh no, it's past 7 pm already. Don't want to go home yet. -______-
Unfortunately, we can't even finish watching the cosplay competition because we have to go home..

Taking some last pics before going home.

Taiga cosplay by Yari. Convention isn't complete without seeing someone cosplaying as the palmtop tiger.

One last visit to the dolls and figurines area. Reimu is now wearing pajama, because it's already nighttime. Wink

Karen and Michelle taking one last pic with Doraemon. Smile

Long snake

Some more last pics. The hallways are brightly lighted in the evening.

. .

Sam Fujin cosplaying as Inori from Guilty Crown

Her teddy looks sad. Anime cry

First floor of SMX Convention Center

Last souvenir pics.

Well, it was fun. Goodbye BoA 2013, and hoping to attend BoA 2014. ",)

Thank you for reading.
Liddo-kun

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 6:21 pm Reply with quote
Hi, it's been awhile... me and my friends attended another convention. Would like to share it on this thread. Smile

Ozine Fest 2014 (day 3)

First of all, sorry for this writeup being so late. Ozine Fest 2014 was held last April 25-27, at SMX Convention Center. This writeup is a little bit different from the others that I've written..

On the night of April 26, I was talking with Rhoan (a cosplayer friend who attended the second day). I asked her if Ozine day 2 was ok. She answered me this: "Cosplayers enjoy each other's company, but the convention was EPIC FAIL". I didn't take seriously what she said, but I was wrong in not taking it seriously. Surprised

Without any further delay. Here are the pics. Smile

Time: approximatly 11 am.

And at the entrance there is a nasty surprise already. Food and drinks are being confiscated. This is the first time I've seen something like this in a convention. Well, I guess they can sell their overpriced food and drinks better when people have no food and drink. :rolleyes:

Tickets

First cosplayer that we saw at the second floor is Nana Aoi, cosplaying as Rikka.

At this time, my companions had to put on wigs. So I waited at a corner on the 2nd floor. Took pics of people who passed by while waiting. Smile

Rowena as Kurumi, and Charise doing a costrip.

Kuro cosplaying as Shinka. I guess Shinka likes the Mabinogion now. Anime hyper

Vanille as Eris from "She Died". I think this a popular story being written by someone from wattpad.

Moved a little away from the corner. and saw them near the escalator.

Jeanie as steampunk version of Red Riding Hood, and Faye as Raven. A wolf would have a hard time trying to eat this Red Riding Hood, her axe is huge. O_O

Well, can't walk very far. Went back to the corner.

Eve as Neko-chan. She came with her parents, they told me that she's a beginner in cosplaying. Well, this is pretty good start for a beginner. Smile

Friends finished putting on wigs.

Alyssa as Taiga, Mich as Asuna, and Sarah as Fear. Alyssa told me that this might be her last cosplay event (had to quit for awhile because of school), which is a bit sad.

spoiler[ http://worldcosplay.net/member/134652 ]

Went inside the function room.

First cosplayer that we met inside is Airi, cosplaying as Marie Rose from DOA 5.

Taking a short look at the shops inside. Smile

Walking a bit more, we saw Christine. She'a cosplaying as Sifu from Last Airbender. It's a bit scary when I looked at her contact lens. Really looked like a blind person. O_O But she could still see through it. Wink

Mirai Kuriyama cosplay by Rizu

Christine Mckeehan as Miku

Taking a look at the video games area. Smile

Got out of the function room.

Time: approximately 1:30 in the afternoon.

And just at the exit we saw Stefani as Touko, and Angela as Enma Ai. Stefani is doing a nice acting on the Touko character, it looks like she's shy character who can cry at any moment. Anime cry

Haru cosplaying as a character from League of Legends. Sorry, the writings on my notebook are a bit blurred, so can't write what character she's cosplaying as. Anime hyper

Yumiko as Shinobu Oshino from Bakemonogatari

Well, time to get some food. At this part of the day - the convention is still ok. Let's walk to the other building. Don't want to buy Ozine's overpriced food food sold at their cafe. :p

Natsumi as Megurine Luka and Chiaki as Kagamine Rin

After crossing the street, unexpectedly met a friend that I haven't seen for a long time. Gelli cosplaying as Sailor Jupiter. I think the character fits her because she's a tall girl. It's really nice to meet people that haven't seen for awhile. .. well, for some reason she accidentally left with us her spear props, and we had to run after her to return it. Anime hyper

I think this character is from Dangan Ronpa? We are sort of in a rush, so I was not able to ask the name of the character anymore. Anyway, the nickname of the cosplayer is Kurumu.

Female Mcdonalds cosplay by Nira

Jovi cosplaying as Naka-chan from "Kantai Collection". Hmm, is Kantai collection an anime? No time to ask her, because we are in a hurry.

At the other building, we passed an area that looks like a playground. Smile

Can play a game while waiting for the pizza.

Got our stregnth restored. We are now heading back to SMX building. Apparently, some cosplayers are also resting in this area. Well, it's a relaxing place where you can get away from the crowded SMX building. Smile

Miho as Fionna from Adventure Time, and Sae-san as Maka from Soul Eater.

We suddenly have to go back to the pizza store. Forgot something there. Anime hyper

Ok, now that the small problem with the pizza store is ok. We now headed back again to SMX. Sensei is texting me that she's already there.

SMX Convention Center first floor.

Florilyn sensei cosplaying as Haruka Nanami from Uta Prince. I call her sensei because she's a teacher in real life. She's a good friend and a nice person to talk to. Smile

. .
spoiler[http://worldcosplay.net/member/florilyn]

Misaki Fujioka as LUX from League of Legends

Zatsune Miku cosplay by Johanna

Ayreesh as Prince Hentai of Sloty Cat, and Rin Kagamine Sandplay by Kahreen.

The day has been going pretty well.. now something happened.

The Wall.

Ok, I've been going to SMX for than 3 years already. And resting near the walls, sitting there to place your props and bags is ok - it's something that we normally do in Cosmania and BOA events. This time, a man wearing gray clothes told us to leave the walls - ok, that's fine. We left right away. Later we transferred to wait on another area. Then I noticed that there's a new group of bystanders on the place that we left, and the man cannot remove them. Then when he can't remove them. The man went to us (I was standing with many other photographers and cosplayers who look tired). The man is once again asking us to "move on with our business". Well, if we followed what he said - it would be the hot summer sun outside the building. One of the persons that we are standing with said.. "wag nyo siya pansinin" (english translation: ignore him). People just stood there looking at him, smiling at him, or ignoring him - and he left. Wow, did that guy seriously know what he's doing? He's just doing a power trip on tired people. This is Animesuki where cursing is not allowed, so I shall say no more. I later learned a few days later after the con, that there are other conventions going on that day, which is maybe the reason why the man wasn't able to remove us - is because we are already on the area of another convention.

Nachii as random school girl and Hana as Heroine from Amnesia. We had some talk with them about the things that happened during the day, and the happy mood is back again. Smile

Mina as Irine and Cy as Rena

Time: approximately 5 in the afternoon.

Back inside the function room.

Kira as Utau Hoshina

One last look at the shops. There is a shopkeeper friend (her name is Olive, she's not the one in the pic) that I also wanted to meet today. But unfortunately, was not able to meet her anymore because this convention is very tiring.

Sit down and rest at another function room. Sarah changed to a maid outfit.

spoiler[http://worldcosplay.net/member/YuukiLaviSai27]

Taking some last shots before going home.

Sakura Kinomoto cosplay by Shing.

Xanthe as Heartseeker Ashe.

. .

Mitsuki Nase cosplay by Rhie

Last pic inside the function room is a Chii cosplay by Recia.

And finally, one last pic before going back to the car. This pic was taken with Sarah's cellphone. Smile

In the end.. it happened as my friend Rhoan said.. it's fun to see cosplayers, but the convention itself is FAIL (too many things if I would mention them all here).

Ozine Day 2.

Showed to me by friends who went to day 2. Foreigners who wish to visit cosplay events in the Philippines. I would advise to go to the BOA (Best of Anime) and Toycon events instead. Avoid Ozine Fest if you don't want hardship like we experienced today.
spoiler[ Apparently, some premium ticket holders during day 2 didn't feel like they had premium at all. And had complaints or wanted a refund.

]

Well, that's all. Thank you for reading. Next report is Toycon 2014, coming this June. Smile

Liddo-kun

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 7:22 am Reply with quote
Found a little news about Ozine..

Ozine vs Wargods (allegations against Ozine)

http://deremoe.com/2015/01/deconstructing-allegations-ozine/
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Events All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1