• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Lupin the 3rd: The Hemingway Papers Sub.DVD

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fronzel

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 12:02 pm Reply with quote
This one has a number of small distinctions from other Lupin stuff that I like. For once, Jigen and Goemon are acting on their own and refuse to be swayed by any amount of wheedling that Lupin plies and moreover, they both stumble in over their heads and need to be rescued by Lupin when it's usually the other way around.

I also noted the relatively complex relationship Lupin has with the "Lupin girl" of this picture. I like it when a Lupin work keeps in mind that he's actually something of a villain. She doesn't even help him when he rushes into the last, dangerous, dash for the treasure.

It's true that Zenigata and Fujiko have no real role, but I think many Lupin one-shots struggle to come up with truly meaningful places for all five main characters when they also need to do something new, and in the absence of anything substantial for Zenigata, I appreciated that they did something weird like making him a 100% joke who won't shut up about food.

Despite all this, I actually find this to be a little dull. Oh, well, maybe I wasn't in the right mood.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 12:21 pm Reply with quote
It's no Cagliostro, but damn is it sure a fun movie.

I think it's a particularly strong performance by Yasuo Yamada. There's this one scene where he jumps out of a plane to get to the island and a newlywed couple speculates he was lonely so he committed suicide. Lupin shoots back that in a little while, the new husband will want to do what he's doing. Then he presses a few buttons on the suitcase he dove with and out come the wings.

To punctuate the point, The husband kind of undoes his hand from his wife's.

Yamada delivered that line so perfectly. I mean, it's ridiculous that the couple would be able to hear him back on the plane as he plummeted from such a height, but it's nevertheless a hilarious moment and sort of encapsulates the attitude the movie has.

Love that Jigen vs Goemon fight.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 2:26 pm Reply with quote
It's an enjoyable special, but it's unusually 'arthouse' by Lupin standards. Don't expect it to be action-packed.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 6:00 pm Reply with quote
No dub is a shame. I want to hear more of Lupin in English.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 6:09 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:

Given the usual quality of English dubs for the franchise, it's probably best not to.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
E-Master

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 2:07 am Reply with quote
Hemingway Papers was one of the fewest 90's Lupin anime to not get an English dub. Which is no big deal cause its a blessing it actually got a domestic release for the first time in the US.
jr240483

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 5:38 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
belvadeer wrote:

Given the usual quality of English dubs for the franchise, it's probably best not to.

Not quite. the dubs that funi did for the movies was definitely liked. sure its no FMA , but it was well suited enough. kinda sucked that it didn't get licensed by funi or if possible they could have commissioned that cast. hopefully if it sells well enough, they might warrant a dub in the future.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 3:01 pm Reply with quote
jr: FUNi was horrible at selling Lupin here. I'd rather settle for it lacking a dub and fans knowing it's available on DVD than just waiting for an official indeterminate date for it to be on the shelf at Best Buy.
E-Master

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:34 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
jr: FUNi was horrible at selling Lupin here. I'd rather settle for it lacking a dub and fans knowing it's available on DVD than just waiting for an official indeterminate date for it to be on the shelf at Best Buy.
Blame it on people who had no interest in an anime about a third generation thief commiting crimes with other criminals while being pursued by a determine interpol cop. Plus my local Best Buy started to suck when their Blu-ray/DVD section shrunk.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:29 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

It's probably best you're wrong about that.
E-Master

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:19 pm Reply with quote
I enjoyed the English dub for A Woman Called Fujiko cause it was the first Lupin anime to receive an English dub in over 6 years. Plus what were the odds that we'd ever see another Lupin title released by Funimation after the Lupin movies ceased from their categories. While the DVDs for the Funimation Lupin movies are still in stock on some online shops used and new condition.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:38 pm Reply with quote
Please. The voice acting in Funimation's Lupin dubs are shaky at best and the scripting of the Pioneer/Geneon dub was peppered with forced localization jokes. And those two companies had the better Lupin dubs of the lot.

Even Funimation's Fujiko TV series effort is middling at best. Sonny Strait has never been right for Lupin, he makes him sound like a complete goober, Sabat always phones in Jigen, same with Mike McFarland as Goemon (and as every other role he's ever played), and why bring Epcar onto this to have him play Zenigata? The saving graces were that the script was decent, Michelle Ruff was playing Fujiko, and Strait didn't embarrass himself too badly.

Don't have the king of the middle-tier voice actors continue to play my favorite anime character of all time, please, Funimation.

How I miss Tony Oliver and Lex Lang. But it could have been worse. They could have brought back Meredith McCoy to play Fujiko, and her Fujiko sounds like a man most of the time.
Just-another-face

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:15 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:

I agree. I wish more folks here would have taken an interest in Lupin.
E-Master

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:46 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Please. The voice acting in Funimation's Lupin dubs are shaky at best and the scripting of the Pioneer/Geneon dub was peppered with forced localization jokes. And those two companies had the better Lupin dubs of the lot.

Even Funimation's Fujiko TV series effort is middling at best. Sonny Strait has never been right for Lupin, he makes him sound like a complete goober, Sabat always phones in Jigen, same with Mike McFarland as Goemon (and as every other role he's ever played), and why bring Epcar onto this to have him play Zenigata? The saving graces were that the script was decent, Michelle Ruff was playing Fujiko, and Strait didn't embarrass himself too badly.

Don't have the king of the middle-tier voice actors continue to play my favorite anime character of all time, please, Funimation.

How I miss Tony Oliver and Lex Lang. But it could have been worse. They could have brought back Meredith McCoy to play Fujiko, and her Fujiko sounds like a man most of the time.
I completely disagree with everything you just said. I wish there was an ignore user feature on this message board cause it be useful right about now.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1