• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Never Forget

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:03 pm Reply with quote
I didn't think Attack on Titan was a masterpiece but the show was definitely memorable from last year.

As far as the dubs go, I might give it a try in the future with some of my favorite episodes in the past. The pictures are kinda hard to see for the collection image. I did notice Black Lagoon in there though. I've been wanting to watch the dubs someday.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:07 pm Reply with quote
Just thought I'd point out the Amnesia picture is of the E7 film. I was thinking of picking up Amnesia but I think that might have to move further down the buying list Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 5:03 pm Reply with quote
TsunaReborn! wrote:
Just thought I'd point out the Amnesia picture is of the E7 film. I was thinking of picking up Amnesia but I think that might have to move further down the buying list Laughing

Oops, sorry about that. Subconsciously, I was trying to protect everyone.
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 5:20 pm Reply with quote
Amnesia might be the hybrid of literally EVERYTHING wrong with the reverse harem genre in general.

Abusive men, stupid MC that lacks any sort of common sense or determination and unnecessary plot that takes away from the time they could be using to better develop the relationships. Still it is not quite as bad as Diabolic Lovers "if you ever have to review that show Bamboo I pity you" but it's pretty dang close.......
unitmikey

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 5:33 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for reviewing Amnesia and taking that bullet for us!

But is it sad that I would totally wear the outfit with the "tattered rag tied around the waist"? I would go to school in that, I have no shame (headband and all). The rest of those outfits suck though.

And I do need to watch Attack on Titan again. That show is still fun. It somehow hasn't gotten old yet despite the immense exposure (when shows are talked about this much, I usually get worn out fast).
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 6:51 pm Reply with quote
I genuinely feel sorry for anyone who was introduced to DeSu2 through the anime, with it's shallow characters, spoiler[hollow deaths played for nothing more than cheap shock value], awful pacing, and cop-out ending. It also feels like it completely abandoned the often optimistic and upbeat nature of the game (that cheerfulness by no means downplayed the utter hell the world had suddenly found itself in, by the way), just to turn it into a GREEMDERKNEDGEE EVA clone, which is plain unfair and insulting to both the original game, the developers of the game, and even the fans of the game. A completely frustrating disappointment.

At least the production values were decent.

I like Titan quite a bit. I feel it can be a bit too melodramatic for it's own good, and the animation, or in some cases "animation", is the most inconsistent thing ever (seriously, I can't see how anyone can think this show looks good) but the characters and the world they are a part of are all really compelling to me.

I have no opinion on Amnesia, and if what I've heard of it is true, I'm gonna stay that way.
BooktapC

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:19 pm Reply with quote
Bamboo. I have to say with reviews it is difficult to remain objective but with your Amnesia anime series review. It is hard not to cringe. The series is actually a great series in the reverse harem genre.

The review seemed so biased that have to wonder if we both saw the same thing. Either that or you were having high expectations for it. High expectations are a big no-no in remaining at least somewhat objective when reviewing some anime.

Your review for Attack on Titan though was quite the beautiful piece. Agree with many points there.
Devil Survivor 2 review covered things mostly well.

The Amnesia though feel is very highly mis-represented.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:39 pm Reply with quote
BooktapC wrote:
The series is actually a great series in the reverse harem genre.

how?
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:55 pm Reply with quote
BooktapC wrote:
Bamboo. I have to say with reviews it is difficult to remain objective but with your Amnesia anime series review. It is hard not to cringe. The series is actually a great series in the reverse harem genre.

The review seemed so biased that have to wonder if we both saw the same thing. Either that or you were having high expectations for it. High expectations are a big no-no in remaining at least somewhat objective when reviewing some anime.

Your review for Attack on Titan though was quite the beautiful piece. Agree with many points there.
Devil Survivor 2 review covered things mostly well.

The Amnesia though feel is very highly mis-represented.

It's kind of not. If I can say with certainty that it's genuine trash, without even *seeing* it, might I add, then I'm pretty sure it's true.
Fronzel

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:02 pm Reply with quote
BooktapC wrote:
High expectations are a big no-no in remaining at least somewhat objective when reviewing some anime.

How is having rock-bottom expectations being objective? Isn't it rather giving the show a handicap and excusing shoddiness?
jymmy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:05 pm Reply with quote
The article wrote:
coats that have at least two dozen belts on them

You say that as though it were a bad thing. Personally, I enjoyed the age of belts that Belt-kun ushered in. If anything, his outfit needed more belts. He'll forever be a pioneer, but with that low number of belts he'll be easily outstripped by later outfits with even more belts. I suppose history will always march on.

The article wrote:
While it's tempting to slide Amnesia into a "so bad it's good" category, it takes itself a little too seriously to allow that to happen.

I thought the same thing about the show, except for the cage episode.
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:46 pm Reply with quote
Not going to lie, but I liked all the men in Amnesia. Would I want to be with anyone like that in RL? Nope. But neither would I want to be with any of the Uta no Prince-sama men either. Fantasy-wise, the guys were great, even the nice yellow dude who, in an attempt to spoiler[save her life, drugged and locked the nameless heroine in a dog cage. Because, you know, it had "potential"..]

I'm still not sure why this series was licensed in the US. I recall there was some talk about trying to license the games in the US, but I don't know if that ever went anywhere.
Felicity dash

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:08 pm Reply with quote
leatherhead333 wrote:
Still it is not quite as bad as Diabolik Lovers "if you ever have to review that show Bamboo I pity you" but it's pretty dang close.......

I`m getting really tired of people thinking its the most evilest show they`ve ever seen.
1. I fixed the typo for you.
2. I think someone did review it already.
3. I actually like Diabolik Lovers.
4. That`s quite offensive, because at least the vampire brothers had a reason to act sadistic. I mean spoiler[ Cordelia taught Ayato to always become no. 1, Kanato got barely any attention from her only when he sang, Laito was taught sex=love by her. Beatrix ignored Reiji & had always scolded Shu for being improper.] Which Shu hated. spoiler[ And Kanato was forced to kill his mother by his mother. Since they were all freaking kids.]
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:43 pm Reply with quote
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings wrote:
I like Titan quite a bit. I feel it can be a bit too melodramatic for it's own good, and the animation, or in some cases "animation", is the most inconsistent thing ever (seriously, I can't see how anyone can think this show looks good) but the characters and the world they are a part of are all really compelling to me.

Really? REALLY? Are you sure? Because I can. It's art is detailed and also more creative than much of your typical run of the mill anime designs. And I don't believe the animation was any less consistent than any other anime out there. And when it was good, it was REALLY GOOD. I think it's pretty easy to see why people think the show looks good.[/b]
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:59 pm Reply with quote
I once heard that the reason otome love interests are so..."varied" is because otome games come out less frequently and with less of a budget, so they try to cater to as many female fantasies as possible (subs, doms, and all the in-betweens). Think killing 5,000 birds with 5 stones (one for each bishie?).

Personally, the only reverse harem I've ever liked was Ouran. :/
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3