• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Seven Seas Puts Nymphet on Hiatus

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cyrax777

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 12:12 am Reply with quote
adam_omega wrote:
So that there is no confusion...

Nymphet Vol. 1 has not been published at all. No copies of an English-language edition have been printed or shipped to any stores. The title is on hold.

- Adam Arnold
Seven Seas Entertainment
http://www.gomanga.com/

I guess my drive all over town today was in vein then.

all this talk about it made me want to go buy the damn thing to see for my self what the big deal is.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
fighterholic

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 12:17 am Reply with quote
CCSYueh wrote:
Kids can't mature fast enough? We want them to? I thought parents in America are trying to keep their little ones little for perhaps an unreasonable length of time (12 yr olds treated like 8 yr olds)

Back then people also had the life expectancy of pretty pathetic--40 or so? They had high child mortality rates also so they had to start as early as possible to get as many going in case they lost 3 or 4. You surely aren't saying our population is such we need to have 12 yr olds churning out babies, are you?

And if you honestly think sex is sex, you need a shrink. And hopefully you're young, but I thought you said you had a job & saw a shrink already. so maybe you do have issues.

Part of growing up is being responsible. Part of being responsible is knowing when to say no. A child lacks the capacity to understand what they're accepting. I remember an Oprah ages ago('1990? bacj when I actually watched) where a dad said he let his 5 yr old smoke pot because he asked her & she said yeah. But the thing is, a child can't weigh the pro's & cons--that's why their parent & other responsible adults around them are supposed to. A 5 yr old can't say "I don't care if I get cancer in 39 yrs." An 8 yr old can't say "I don't care if I get a sexually transmitted disease so you can enjoy yourself."

Hopefully someone looked out for you when you were a child--made those decisions. If not, I'm truly sorry for you, but why would you want to spread your pain to another child?

What's behind the problems of society in America today is that we are such a sexualized society. We are also a gun happy violent society. I don't know how you got the idea I was insinuating that we should have our preteens having all the babies here, but I think that we need our kids to be responsible for their actions. But there are people who need to teach them that before they set out into the world to find what they're looking for. Kids who don't get taught by their parents properly about the consequences of said action are going to end up in big s***. Yes, I saw a shrink, I have a job, and I think that sex, no matter how you classify it, is still sex. And there's one last thing, I just hate where this country is going. It is going downhill, and one day, it's going to get nuked. And hopefully I'm not going to be in the country when it happens.
chicogrande

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 1:27 am Reply with quote
Lain <3

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 1:28 am Reply with quote
Once again,

I hope you guys are happy.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 1:39 am Reply with quote
Lain <3 wrote:
Once again,

You hope we're happy about what?

You have a problem with Seven Seas canceling Nymphet, you ask them about it, not me, and not anyone who argued their viewpoint here. We are not to "blame" for this.
ZaWarudo

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 2:00 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Lain <3 wrote:
Once again,

You have a problem with Seven Seas canceling Nymphet, you ask them about it, not me, and not anyone who argued their viewpoint here. We are not to "blame" for this.

Why are you being defensive? Shouldn't you be celebrating right now? Hurray, no one will clutch their children closer and label you a pedophile for calling yourself an anime fan. Yaaaaaaaay.
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 2:03 am Reply with quote
I was told to post this:

Wolverine Princess wrote:
Zac wrote:
We are not to "blame" for this.

That's a load of bull shit, and you know it. None of this would have happened if you hadn't singled out this series for whatever reason.

I can't believe a bunch of squabbling idiots that would have otherwise probably forgotten the book even existed after a month could stop the publication of a harmless ecchi manga they haven't even read.

To all the Seven Seas reps lurking on this board, I'm disgusted with you for listening to these retarded internet tough guys. You guys were previously my favorite manga publisher for having the balls to license this thing in the first place, and in going back on your promise to stick with it and leave it 100% uncensored after the initial outcry you've lost me as a customer all together.

There's no real way for me to show I'm being sincere since this is the internet and people can post whatever kind of crap they want on forums (COUGHCOUGH), but in the chance that you do eventually decided to release it after the storm dies, I promise I'll be waiting with a hundred bucks to buy ten copies of the first volume.

That is all.
Mistystuffer

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 2:39 am Reply with quote
I'm disgusted by their decision, and they have definately lost me as a customer.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Iwatch2muchanime

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 3:22 am Reply with quote
Well crap, I haven't even started as a customer and they lost me.

Not really....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 4:23 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Lain <3 wrote:
Once again,

Heh, to be honest Zac I think you kinda are at least partially responsible. It was kinda you who got this whole debate going. There may have also been debates elsewhere but this was certainly one of the bigger and more public ones. I think you underestimate how influential you are.

You really shouldnt feel bad about that though. If uppon reconsidering the release, Seven Seas decided that it should not have been released, then it mostlikely did sexualize children. If so this is for the best.

Sorry pedo's you'll have to get your 8 year old's panties fix elsewhere. /=
konton

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 4:43 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Fiery stuff

Wow, I just had to comment on this. I guess all good, civilize debates go out the window as soon as one side doesn't get its wish. Too bad, that's life.
Calling people who disagree with you "squabbling idiots" is tasteless and silly. And I'm sure Mr. DeAngelis will cry himself to sleep for losing you as a customer, but he will get over it eventually.

I don't know you very well, but I hope that when you grow up and have children of your own you will see things in a different light. I highly suggest you pay attention to Blupetia and CCSYueh's posts. You might learn something.

Anyway, the good news for all fans is that Seven Seas were truly listening to the fans and made their decisions accordingly. Althought you dislike their decision, it doesn't take away the fact that they cared enough to listen and they deserve kudos for that. Not many companies are doing this today, so we fans should be proud that we can make a difference.

And by the way, as far as I recall, the pro-Nymphet guys said it was a harmless comedy. Calling it ecchi suggetst something slightly different. and certainly not harmless or innocent...
ZaWarudo

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 5:47 am Reply with quote
konton wrote:
Quote:
Fiery stuff

Wow, I just had to comment on this. I guess all good, civilize debates go out the window as soon as one side doesn't get its wish. Too bad, that's life.
Calling people who disagree with you "squabbling idiots" is tasteless and silly. And I'm sure Mr. DeAngelis will cry himself to sleep for losing you as a customer, but he will get over it eventually.

I don't know you very well, but I hope that when you grow up and have children of your own you will see things in a different light. I highly suggest you pay attention to Blupetia and CCSYueh's posts. You might learn something.

Anyway, the good news for all fans is that Seven Seas were truly listening to the fans and made their decisions accordingly. Althought you dislike their decision, it doesn't take away the fact that they cared enough to listen and they deserve kudos for that. Not many companies are doing this today, so we fans should be proud that we can make a difference.

And by the way, as far as I recall, the pro-Nymphet guys said it was a harmless comedy. Calling it ecchi suggetst something slightly different. and certainly not harmless or innocent...

Wow, I'm surprised you can reach your keyboard from way up there. Maybe your pedestal has remote-controlled arms.

Only on ANN would you find people talking about how great anime fans are for preventing something from getting published. Rolling Eyes
konton

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 5:54 am Reply with quote
Actually, I have a short chair, but I appreciate your concern. I forgot one shouldn't have an opposite opinion to someone else. My mistake. Next time I see a poster calling other posters idiots I will send him/her flowers.

And I wasn't addressing the cancelling issue only the fact that the fans (not only on ANN forums) got the company so listen to them. And yes, it is a big deal.
I know you are dissapointed because of the outcome, but what if the situation was reverse and the fans could influence the company to go ahead with a title? would you be sulking then as well?
Iwatch2muchanime

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 6:05 am Reply with quote
Yes, the simple fact that they decided not to do it because of such a bad reason is enough to make us lose faith in them, of course the sulking would be a LOT less since we know we could push them on to do it, but still, they shouldn't do that.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime
ZaWarudo

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 6:11 am Reply with quote
"Fans" didn't do jack. The fans of this manga weren't listened to. The only people who won today were Chicken Little alarmists who never read more than 2 pages of the manga in question. Anime "fans" have shown that if a manga falls outside their America-approved, sanitized, sensibilities they have the power to make it disappear. That's just great. Let's start writing up lists of other mangas and animes we've never read or watched, which look potentially damaging to our sterling otaku reputations, so we can prevent them from ever reaching our sacred shores. Pride before entertainment, after all.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6