• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 Series Set in France

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
drifty1

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 11:31 am Reply with quote
I'm somewhat surprised that "Fushigi no Umi no Nadia" ("Nadia - The Secret of Blue Water") wasn't included.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:03 pm Reply with quote
That series is only briefly in France.
Ankisian Sarita

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:05 pm Reply with quote
Nodame Cantabile and Rose of Versailles are some of my favorite series. Great choices for the list!
albanian

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:15 pm Reply with quote
drifty1 wrote:
I'm somewhat surprised that "Fushigi no Umi no Nadia" ("Nadia - The Secret of Blue Water") wasn't included.

walw6pK4Alo wrote:
That series is only briefly in France.

Absolutely. After the first couple of episodes, France is but a memory. It might even be possible to argue similarly for Noir in that, while Kirika and Mireille do spend much time in Paris, most of the significant action takes place elsewhere.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:46 pm Reply with quote
The best thing about Ikoku Meiro no Croisée - apart from Yune herself - is that the show magnificently and faithfully captures the look and feel of 19th century Paris. It's a feast for the eyes.
st_owly

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:24 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
The best thing about Ikoku Meiro no Croisée - apart from Yune herself - is that the show magnificently and faithfully captures the look and feel of 19th century Paris. It's a feast for the eyes.

I would quite happily hang pretty much any frame from that show on my wall.
yuna49

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:49 pm Reply with quote
You have Thomas Romain and his fellow French artists who now work for Satelight to thank for the illustrations in Ikoku Meiro no Croisee. Romain posted a number of pre-production drawings and other goodies on a forum at Catsuka.

What I found especially striking was the strong use of perspective in many of the backgrounds which contrasts sharply with the "superflat" design of most anime. The use of perspective incorporates the "East-vs-West" themes of the story into the design of the show itself.

I've been impressed with some of the other shows by this crew of talented artists, particularly the design of the Akibastar planet in AKB0048. Romain was interviewed by ANN this past year when Space Dandy premiered.
TG72

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 4:31 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

Another nice touch was having spoken French (by a native speaker) in the opening.
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 4:37 pm Reply with quote
Uh what about Gakatsuou? Sure its an alternative future version, but its still Paris.
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 4:51 pm Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:
Uh what about Gakatsuou? Sure its an alternative future version, but its still Paris.

Yes, this anime one the best ever, it should be in the list as it is France.

Also, if there will be the list on Italy, the crown should be this: anime#2019 -- Romeo's Blue Skies is a truly epic, outstanding masterpiece. I am usually bashing things left and right, but I had hard time doing so for this project. The reason is that this work is based on high class literature: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Die_schwarzen_Brüder
Kutsu

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 6:39 pm Reply with quote
There's also an anime even older than 'Rose of Versailles' which is also directed by Osamu Dezaki (which means the art and animation cannot be anything but great) called 'Ie naki ko' or 'Nobody's Boy: Remi'.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nobody%27s_Boy:_Remi

If ever you decide to watch it, I suggest a box of tissues for your ride as it's an absolutely heart-wrenching series.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 7:14 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

How would you know it faithfully captures the feel? ;D

A good part of Blood+ was in France, and even when they were elsewhere, they had the whole Chevalier and Cinq Flèches thing going on. Smile

Despite having seen 5 of the 7 listed, I could only think of 2 before reading the article. Good job!
Chrno2

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 7:41 pm Reply with quote
Well of course Rose of Versailles would be at #1. And of course 'Le Chevalier D'Eon another show set during the French Revolution, but with quite a bit of fiction and an interesting take on the gender bending formula. Hell, those 2 could fall into another top list. I actually enjoyed that series. I even looked up the actual person Charles-Geneviève-Louis-Auguste-André-Timothée d'Éon de Beaumont. Try saying that 5 times fast. Or Chevalier d'Éon for shot. I really enjoyed the series. It was one of ADV titles. With top notch animation from the same studio that gave you 'Kurau Phantom Memory'. Studio Bones baby.
Thallium

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 8:13 pm Reply with quote
Nitpicking, one of the leads from Noir is called Mireille. Other than that, i like that list; it definitely mentions most shows i think of when i match France and anime in my mind. Smile
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 8:22 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
How would you know it faithfully captures the feel? ;D

Okay, you got me there. With all the loving detail in everything from clothes to signs to buildings, it certainly gives the distinct impression of being faithful.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2