• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Seven Seas Puts Nymphet on Hiatus

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
testorschoice

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 6:14 am Reply with quote
ZaWarudo wrote:
Only on ANN would you find people talking about how great anime fans are for preventing something from getting published. Rolling Eyes

For better or worse, similar sentiments crop up in other forums as well, only from the opposite end. There are people who write angry posts on 4chan if a publisher dares to do what they think is reprehensible: license a popular fansubbed anime.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 11:23 am Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:
And just to re-affirm what I said in the other thread, I think there has been a bit of an over-reaction here.

I think one way to solve all of this, is to somehow make it so you have to be 18 to buy this stuff. Like buying cigarettes at Wal-Mart.

I was thinking over that as well. And while I still don't entirely understand the lure Seven Seas saw for this title, I can't completely discount it either.

But I digress; what you said about finding a way to solve this I agree with wholeheartedly. I believe most of the offense and objections voiced towards this title is stemmed from the possibility of an under-aged child picking it up and subsequently causing a very bad misconception of the kinds of materials that are typically in manga. My suggestion to Seven Seas would be this: to make Nymphet available exclusively for online purchases, that way if someone truly wants to buy it they will have to be old enough to buy it themselves (or at least to get permission from a parental figure).

I know this sounds like a drastic step, but I think it would allow for the series' fans to buy the book and also to prevent minors or on-the-fence parents from accidentally mistaking it for an all-ages-appropriate manga (purely from the artwork). I don't honestly think that a number of those who objected to Nymphet's acquisition were absolutely opposed to the idea of its release, but rather they were concerned for the overall 'image' it would provoke onto manga in the US as a whole if this kind of older reader demographic title were to fall into younger readers' hands.

Last edited by Ashen Phoenix on Thu May 31, 2007 9:34 am; edited 1 time in total
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 1:38 pm Reply with quote
Ashen Phoenix:
Quote:
I still don't entirely understand the lure ADV saw for this title
Replace everthing that said ADV, with Seven Seas.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 9:35 am Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:
Replace everthing that said ADV, with Seven Seas.

Agk! I'm sorry, and thanks for pointing out my mistake! Ugh... can't believe I've been such a scatter-brained nitwit. Embarassed
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6