• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime Spotlight - Space Dandy (Season 2)

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 4:24 pm Reply with quote
This show has great setting, design, visuals, but it has no real story through whole project, it is episodic. Yes, the quality of episodes oftentimes much better than average filler, but still if I had a choice to watch anime with a decently written story that moves forward and this one, I would definitely choose the former.

However, there can be viewers that like episodic anime like this one, or Kino Journey, or Mushi-shi, or others where episodes are of high quality.
meronichan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 11:16 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I hear you. I myself don't even know why I'm still watching this show, but I am. There's just something about it that keeps you coming back for more, despite that the core story is all but nonexistent and the episodic stories are all pretty weak (granted there are numerous allusions to sci-fi series and anime that I don't pick up on until I look them up afterwards, because it isn't exactly my favorite genre, but still). I keep hoping that we find out more about Dandy in season 2, as he isn't exactly a reliable narrator of his own life.

On a side note, I just really hate Meow. I wish they never created him.
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:24 am Reply with quote
You can't really call it filler when that's all the show is comprised of. That's like calling every episode of Spongebob Squarepants filler. It doesn't make any sense. There are episodic shows and there are ones with an advancing storyline. I have no problem watching more episodic cartoons like Adventure Time (although even that seems to have more continuity than this) so this does not bother me. It's like modern day fans think that all anime has to follow an actual story arc to be good. I don't necessarily agree with that, but people will of course have their own preferences. You take what you can get, it is what it is. I would like it if in the second season Space Dandy actually did progress it's so-called "plot" forward, and the preview seemed to indicate that something of that nature was going to happen by it's tone and interesting new characters, but I'd be fine if it just stayed the way it's always been too. I really loved the season premiere last night though! Probably my favorite episode by far now! Alternate universe Dandy with blue hair kicked ass for some reason. And I loved it when the actual Dandy flubbed up spelling his name. Anime hyper

"The name's... D N A... it's Dandy."
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 1:15 pm Reply with quote
I feel like I laughed so much harder at the season premier (I just like to call it episode 14) than was actually necessary. Laughing
Marzan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:44 pm Reply with quote
I thought it was absolutely hilarious. I loved all the references to other anime too.
Ryusui

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:11 am Reply with quote
Full-tilt half-assedness.
Precise malarkey.
Frantic relaxation.

...and serious cacodemons.
ninjaclown

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:31 am Reply with quote
MaxSouth wrote:
This show has great setting, design, visuals, but it has no real story through whole project, it is episodic. Yes, the quality of episodes oftentimes much better than average filler, but still if I had a choice to watch anime with a decently written story that moves forward and this one, I would definitely choose the former.

However, there can be viewers that like episodic anime like this one, or Kino Journey, or Mushi-shi, or others where episodes are of high quality.

What's wrong with episodic? That sounds like a real small nitpick, especially for a comedy oriented series that doesn't require, and often doesn't include, a long over arching story. Also, that second paragraph is gibberish.
k_dawg_3484

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:12 pm Reply with quote
I think this article needs to be amended to include both the English and Japanese VAs for the characters. In fact, the English VAs should be on top. Everyone is aware that this show is premiering in the U.S. BEFORE Japan: that's the big deal about it. The English VAs are literally a part of the original production of this show; I'd even go so far as to say that Ian Sinclair, Alison Viktorin, Joel McDonald, and the rest of the Funi crew ARE the original voices of the characters. To not include them in this article is a disservice to them, considering they do an excellent job, and I know it was no small feat for Funi to dub this show while it was being still being produced in Japan.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:20 pm Reply with quote
k_dawg_3484 wrote:
The English VAs are literally a part of the original production of this show; I'd even go so far as to say that Ian Sinclair, Alison Viktorin, Joel McDonald, and the rest of the Funi crew ARE the original voices of the characters.

Nah, the script's still conceived in Japanese which means the Japanese will always be the closest to the creator's intent, but nice try. However, this is not to say that the English may be better, but it'll only ever be a translation of the Japanese, where things are lost or changed.
GreyFoxes

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:13 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
the Japanese will always be the closest to the creators intent

walw6pK4Alo wrote:
it'll only ever be a translation of the Japanese

Is that just the old "subs are always inherently better because they are more pure and correct" argument?

Space Dandy is about enjoying an experience, not whether or not it is 100% exactly what sprung from the minds of the writers back in Japan

Just relax and enjoy the ride, baby...
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:12 am Reply with quote
No, I'm not even talking about subs, since those are still a translation. I'm talking pure Japanese as understood by someone fluent in it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1