• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast Live at Anime Expo 2014

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Durga

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 3:54 pm Reply with quote
Regarding the Ping Pong discussion, I never had an issue with the pacing or character writing of Ping Pong the Animation. I was almost always drawn in visually and as I always am with Yuasa works, but I also really resonated with the characters and their struggles. I'm not an athlete, but I understood where the characters were coming from, where they were going and their different reasons for playing ping pong, and I think the last two episodes were basically perfect thematically. I think that show understands what it's like to question the thing you thought you love, abandon it, then rediscover the reason you loved that thing in the first place, and episode 10 in particular articulates that so well visually. I was moved.

I should mention that I also really liked Yuasa's other TV series, The Tatami Galaxy and Kaiba. Kaiba is a lot harder to understand, so I get the complaints about that show, but it's so sincere and interesting that I was still compelled to watch it and trey to dissect it. I feel that way about Yuasa's work in general, both his shorts and TV shows.
Player No. 3

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:20 pm Reply with quote
I think it's a completely valid criticism of Ping Pong that it's pacing goes awry. For me, I love shoegazey stuff, so it enamored me pretty quick.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:37 pm Reply with quote
Got through most of this on my afternoon ride (totally channeling Yowamushi Pedal, don't judge me). A couple random reactions:

• On Zac's comment about his being more aware of streaming than home video releases… were I at this panel, I think that would have been my question: is streaming news and reviews becoming more important than home video news and reviews? It seems like it would be for fans keeping up with the latest stuff on CrunchyFuniHuluFlix, but maybe the page views tell a different story?

• Speaking of which, I know it'll never happen, but I'd love for you guys to come out to Anime Central in Chicago some year. Somehow, they manage 30,000 people with a lot less complaints than I hear about AX and Otakon. There are only a few spots that get badly crowded, the time and room management seems really good, and the most I waited in any line this year was 25 minutes (and that was for the guest-of-honor Wake Up Girls! concert). Plus, they mail out badges in advance, which is the best $2 fee you will ever spend.

• On podcasts: totally agree that investing in decent recording equipment is crucial, and your laptop's built-in condenser mic is completely unacceptable. (EDIT: also, you don't need a physical mixer to capture Skype, you can use system-level capture tools like Audio Hijack Pro for Mac) Hard part for newbies is figuring out the server side (building the RSS feed and hosting the episodes), the answer to which is usually a Wordpress site (if the attachment file sizes don't kill you) or Libsyn. As to podcasting being over, it seems to have gotten a second wind the last few years with smartphones, now that you can subscribe and download through an app instead of having to do the old download to your computer and sync with iTunes dance.
unitmikey

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 6:42 pm Reply with quote
Ah Dear Brother... I loved that show but in honesty I don't think I would have the time in the future to watch it again. At the same time... I want to show it to some people and I understand streaming will most likely not be forever.

Dilemma. And a decision it looks like I'll have to make fast.
grooven

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 6:51 pm Reply with quote
That was a good listen. Sounds like it was pretty awesome! I totally missed it the time I went since it was so early in the morning.

Anime hyper Princess Knight guy lol. I'd love to hear that sound clip :p
redcar

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:53 pm Reply with quote
I was there! Thanks so much to Zac, Justin, and Hope for helping make this a memorable Anime Expo experience for my wife and me. It was at this panel that I received the Greatest Gift of All™:

Laughing
Galap

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 3:40 am Reply with quote
Wow, Silent Mobius. I'm a fan of both the movies and TV. Great stuff; the kind of thing I wish were more of the baseline these days.
Graceful Nanami

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:24 am Reply with quote
I'll marathon Marmalade Boy again with you, Justin! Hahaha. So good. I just wish the Tokyopop DVDs weren't such awful quality. I'll probably never get rid of mine, though, just because it's MB.

I have the remastered sets for Utena as well. I tried watching through it and was in awe (again) until I heard the ringing bells sound. They changed it. It really made me mad for some reason...
noblesse oblige

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:53 am Reply with quote
Don't get your hopes up about a lot of Dandy merch coming. I was talking with one of the designers on the show and he said that it's probably not going to see much merchandise because it doesn't have the requisite idols or bishonen. Great show though. The animation to me is the pinnacle of everything that's come out of Japan in the last 10 years.
MeggieMay

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 2:33 pm Reply with quote
Enjoyed the panel audio and am glad you managed to get this recorded Razz. I have to say I personally was upset with AX for letting the panels get that out of whack, time wise. I watched many of the Industry panels on Aquastar's Ustream set up and it drove me nuts to watch people blame the companies (particularly Funimation) for issues that AX pretty much brought upon themselves and the said companies. A convention is in charge of getting the schedule to work right and as you said, these companies spend time and money to attend events like this. The night it happened my feeling was this sort of issue is pretty much going to end any good reason for news to be issued at conventions/what relevance are cons now of days anyway. If you can't get the latest news via them their as useful Anime Clubs seem to be to many people these days (i.e. they're not useful).

It's now Tuesday and I'm thinking clearer and realize cons, at least the super big ones like AX have many more reasons to keep existing and I was just having a bad Saturday night (it wasn't just a AX issue - I've been having some other issues causing me to be blue of late) Laughing Still, when I can take off 30 minutes before the Funi panel was suppose to begin (after being delayed by the K movie) drive 26 miles, eat a steak (with the lovely 1970s style salad bar - I was trying to cheer myself up but it didn't work Sad ), and drive back home and the panel hadn't even started, there is a HUGE problem going on with the con Evil or Very Mad

Now, I do have a question that goes back to the Funimation panel streaming chat I was attending. A number of people were mad that Funi didn't cut out the trailers. I wondered out loud if Funi could have even done that for some of the properties they were showing, as well as mentioning not everyone probably knew what was going on on twitter (the news got out early due to the bleeping panel running over). The latter was met with "everyone checks their phones so they knew" (I don't buy it but it wasn't worth fighting over the issue) but no response to the first part - no surprise, I was being rhetorical and didn't expect a answer. Still, I thought it was a good question - could Funi, or even VIZ for that matter, cut the panel down on the spot or where there problems with that, other than it would throw off the presentation (which I'm sure is on the computer and practiced out before hand)? In the old days of the 80s and 90s I do remember panels a Media genre cons getting remade on the spot due to issues like AX was having but this isn't 20 years ago. The studios/Japanese production companies are much more savvy these days and I could see some companies potentially requiring certain shows they licence to have their trailers/promo matierals covered at certain larger conventions as part of the deal. AX is one of the super big cons these days, so it would be on any theoretic list if that sort of situation is being used in liecene deals these days (::knock on wood:: lets hope I just didn't give someone in Japan a bad idea here Confused )
Drac

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 6:38 pm Reply with quote
They're already remaking One Piece. There's been a few tv specials and movies that reanimate entire story arcs.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 6:51 pm Reply with quote
Drac wrote:
They're already remaking One Piece. There's been a few tv specials and movies that reanimate entire story arcs.

Well Zac clearly meant a full remake like Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood and not like the Kenshin Kyoto OVAs that butcher the Kyoto arc because they cut nearly the entire plot.
David.Seth

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:33 pm Reply with quote
Hey Zac, I'm wondering if you could clarify something. Early on in the podcast, you touched on the fan hatred for remakes, and said that people should calm down, since a remake (horrible or otherwise) doesn't ruin the original. And sometimes remakes can be good in their own way. But later on in the podcast you said that if you had 3 wishes, one wish would be that Evangelion would never ever be made into a live action. But wouldn't this apply to what you said about remakes? Like if they made a live action Eva, and it turned out worse than the Dragon Ball movie, would it really matter? We still have the original show and movies.

But besides that nit pick I really liked this episode. It was interesting and fun, and it seemed like all of you work well with a crowd.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:38 pm Reply with quote
David.Seth wrote:
Hey Zac, I'm wondering if you could clarify something. Early on in the podcast, you touched on the fan hatred for remakes, and said that people should calm down, since a remake (horrible or otherwise) doesn't ruin the original. And sometimes remakes can be good in their own way. But later on in the podcast you said that if you had 3 wishes, one wish would be that Evangelion would never ever be made into a live action. But wouldn't this apply to what you said about remakes? Like if they made a live action Eva, and it turned out worse than the Dragon Ball movie, would it really matter? We still have the original show and movies.

But besides that nit pick I really liked this episode. It was interesting and fun, and it seemed like all of you work well with a crowd.

Explanation: that was a joke. Thanks for listening.
David.Seth

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:02 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

Explanation: that was a joke. Thanks for listening.

Figured as much, but I still was hoping I might have caught you in a moment of the otaku rage you had been criticizing moments earlier. I should have known better. Also, it seemed like you were running out of cheap whimsical anime DVDs to give out, and had trouble finding them to begin with. If you plan on going again, you could always hit up the dollar blind box bargain at rightstuf.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3