• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Do you read fanfiction?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Polls
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you read fanfiction?
Never and have no interest whatsoever
21%
 21%  [ 23 ]
Never, but interested
7%
 7%  [ 8 ]
Checked some out once
22%
 22%  [ 24 ]
Rarely, only for a select series/scenario/couple
14%
 14%  [ 16 ]
Sometimes
14%
 14%  [ 15 ]
Often
15%
 15%  [ 17 ]
I live off fanfiction!
3%
 3%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 107

Da Games Elite

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 12:01 pm Reply with quote
EireformContinent wrote:
Sorry, but I couldn't resist: from ancient times many professional authors built their careers on taking more than inspiration from previous works- Odyssey, Bible, mythology etc. What makes them different from ff writers? Or maybe Milton wasn't professional? Once I've read some prose that if were written in modern English with changed names would be called yaoi fanfic. But it was written in Middle Ages, in Latin and re-telling the relationship of David and Jonathan, so it was called literature.

Dante's Inferno is a self-insert fanfiction where Dante rages at people he didn't like by doing bad things to them, where he chills with his favorite historical figures. Also, he makes a girl he liked in real life a character, and they fall in love and go to Heaven together.

Also, most adaptations of films are just visual fanfics. Anime hyper

As for me? Love good fanfiction. I used to even write some--and on occasion still do. I find myself enjoying fanfiction a little less as I read more quality stuff, and, usually, I can only read fanfics for a series immediately after watching it. For example, a couple days ago, I rewatched The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya, and had so many feels that I spent the rest of the night reading all the Yuki fics I could find.

As for fanfics I wrote, well, it's mostly Sailor Moon and Evangelion stuff. I regret nothing.
Tris8

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:03 pm Reply with quote
I know it's been quite a while since you gave your recommendations willag, but I finally got around to reading one. I read Tales from the House of the Moon (Inuyasha fanfic) and good lord was it amazing!!! It's not that I was expecting it to be bad or anything it's just.... well dang, even most bestsellers that I read aren't that good. And I read A LOT. I laughed, I cried, I was fascinated- I couldn't stop reading! And most of all, the author sold Sesshomaru and Kagome as a couple. Never thought I'd see the day. I would've bet the farm that such a far-fetched (and what I viewed as completely stupid and baseless) couple could ever be depicted as believable.

And the actual story itself! She didn't just focus on the romance, this is worth reading just for the adventure! Everything that I had a problem with in the series and the manga is remedied in this story. Kagome actually goes and gets training and does research so she can more fully utilize her power, instead of just being a shard detector. The romance (and I'm not even the kind of guy for romance) never stalls or is mired down. And one of the things I loved the most; she adds to the world. We learn more about half-demons and priestesses. And it's funny! I wouldn't call it a comedy because of the dark beginning, but there's quite a few laugh-out-loud moments, and the author's sense of humor is witty.

I'm so glad I read this. I like the Inuyasha franchise even though it is far from a favorite, and was delighted that this story stayed with the general spirit of the show but still grew into entirely its own thing. I don't know if I'll ever be a fan of fanfiction, but I have definitely become a fan of this author.
Crisha

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:48 am Reply with quote
^Oh yay! I'm glad you gave one of the recs a chance! And I'm even happier that you enjoyed it! Very Happy

Oftentimes, for me, fanfiction is about the journey and how the author can continue to build and develop the characters in an interesting way. Tales from the House of the Moon is one of those stories where it's about the journey, and the gradual development and interactions of the characters and their relationships. Like you, I was skeptical of Sesshoumaru and Kagome, but I was willing to give it a try because of how highly rated the story was. And I'm glad I did. It was an amazing read.

If you're someone who's into stories for the journey and how the writer slowly develops and writes the characters (and it goes without saying that I think these writers I rec are genuinely good writers), then here's a few more for a rainy day if you're ever curious.

I'd still recommend giving anything by SilverShine a try. Her Girl From Whirlpool and House of Crows are most highly regarded, and between the two I prefer the former because she takes the time and care to develop two characters who really only get some back story and little screentime in the manga - it's an open avenue for anyone will to give it a try, and hers is the most genuine I've read. I also love her Duty Before Honor and Seven Days. She's one of those authors that can handle humor very well in written form - I think that takes a lot of skill to be able to get the delivery across. Seven Days has the most humor of the bunch, followed probably by Whirlpool (Minato's snark and deadpan observations can be really hilarious at times). Both of those stories are mostly light-hearted with a dose of drama and action. Crows is mainly drama.

I have a few more I could recommend - I've been going down the list hemhawing over which ones would be best - but I don't feel like typing them up now.

Regardless, I'm still glad you enjoyed that story. It is really amazing.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tris8

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:47 pm Reply with quote
It was definitely about the journey for me. How she slowly but steadily built their relationship was incredibly believable.

I just finished another one of your recommendations, and it was also excellent. Seven Days. Boy was it funny! I decided on that one next because I was in the mood for a comedy, and although the ship made me roll my eyes again (Sakura X Kakashi) I decided to give it a chance because of my experience with House of the Moon. Not only was Seven Days hilarious, but again the couple was written and grew in such a way that it made complete sense. My world is blown O_o. And she captured the characters so perfectly! How Sakura is smart and tough, but a little selfish and naive. And the adventure was fun too. Who would've thought that being stuck in a jail cell for days would make for an entertaining story. Man, I might be converting in to a fan of fanfiction Anime hyper

Thank you so much willag for recommending these awesome reads!
Crisha

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 1:35 am Reply with quote
Well, I've been meaning to put a larger Rec list on here, but didn't have the energy to put one together. So, lemme see what I can put together.

Shattering Ice (Avatar the Last Airbender), by DamageCtrl

Summary: When she watches her grandchildren leave their tribe, GranGran remembers a time in her life where she left hers...and the events that lead to her departure from her home and the man who believed they were destined for each other.

Couples: Kana/Pakku (mainly one-sided)

Review: This story mainly takes place when Kana is younger, before the Northern Water Tribe closes its doors. Kana is the headstrong daughter of a humble fisherman who struggles with the traditions of her tribe, particularly with those concerning a woman's role; Pakku is the spoiled, haughty son of a master waterbender who feels the pressure and obligation to uphold his family's reputation and traditions of the water tribe. Kana and Pakku start off absolutely hating the other's guts, slowly growing to respect one another and become friends. Eventually, Pakku falls head-over-heels in love and arranges a marriage according to the tribes customs, and Kana begins to feels trapped. So while the fic is partially a love story that's mostly one-sided, it's also a story of a young lady who struggles to balance what she wants versus what is expected of her (and ultimately deciding she more values her freedom and dreams to see the world). It's one interpretation of Kana and Pakku's past that stays true to the series. It's a very good origin story that fleshes out the characters and Northern Water Tribe more than what the series does.

Quote:
"But why? Why did you let them go?"

For a moment, the oldest woman in the tribe went silent. Her old, crinkled eyes slowly went across the tiny village; a far cry from when she had first arrived to the shores of a glorious frozen civilization. She closed her eyes for a moment and took a deep breath. The cold, salt-laden air filled her lungs; the same air she had first inhaled when the last Water Tribe trade ship from the Earth Kingdom docked just an arm's length away where she now stood.

Blue eyes opened and for just a second, she could see the houses built of ice, the towering walls, the curved bridges and sprawling market place. She could see the man she married laughing with the same smile Hakoda and Sokka both inherited. And almost as soon as she saw it, it faded away.

"Grandmother Kana?" a voice asked, bringing her attention back to the present.

The old woman looked at the circle of women around her and the children that had gathered around their legs. "To let them go and live their lives to their fullest, without any regret, is the best I could ever give them. I will not hold them back from the world…I believe there is something more for them beyond our village."

Before anyone else could say anything more, the old woman turned around and slipped silently into her tent. Without Katara by the old clay stove, blowing into the glowing embers to encourage the fire, and Sokka in his corner, filling the tent with the sounds of sharpening stone against metal, the small tent seemed large and empty.

Carefully, she walled around the floor lined with animal pelts. She made her way to her sleeping area and slowly sat down. A small fire in the center of the tent warmed the tent as the old woman shuffled through her belongings and finally pulled out an old leather bag.

Knotted and wrinkled brown hands began to untie the latch with the utmost care. How long had it been since she last opened the bag? The draw string was pulled open and revealed a thin, worn, blue cloth. Old eyes crinkled more at the sight. Shaking hands slowly pulled out the cloth.

The old overcoat fell on her lap. Its former deep blue had been faded with time, just like her eyes. Her hand slowly caressed the nearly bare threads as it ran over the material. The once deep blue color was unique to the Northern Water Tribe. Thin lips pursed. Perhaps her grandchildren would see her home tribe…and everything she left behind. Her eyes closed.

Then Katara could learn waterbending and become the master Kana always knew she would be. After all, it had been years. Perhaps, things had changed.

Kana opened her eyes and looked back down at the worn article of clothing. She could still remember the first time she saw that coat…and the man who had bought it for her one cold winter night.

-------

Wild Flower (Cardcaptor Sakura), by Peacewish

Summary: On the run and desperate to get offplanet, Li hitched a ride on a scrappy old cargo ship. But this ship has its secrets too. Will he ever solve the puzzle that is Sakura?

Couples: Sakura/Syaoran, Touya/Yuki, Meilin/OC

Notes: An AU (alternate universe) fic that is inspired by Firefly and the author's own passion for politics.

Review: So, as mentioned above, this is an AU fic. For those unfamiliar with AUs, the setting is completely different from the original series. This doesn't necessarily mean that all canon is thrown out the window (Touya and Sakura are still siblings and Meilin and Syaoran are still cousins) but several things are different. The setting for the series is a point in the future where space travel is normal, the author admitting that her inspiration was based off a mixture of Cowboy Bebop and Firefly ("In both of them, I loved that vision of the future that mixed sci-fi with ordinary and familiar. It’s very much an unsterilized universe, with dust and grime and clunking engine parts and damn it, people still wearing decent clothing.")

The story starts off with Syaoran running into Touya, Yuki, and Tomoyo in the middle of a smuggling operation. As we find out, they are fugitives on the run who are strapped for cash. Syaoran, a thief with a bounty on his head, is offered a lift and room for payment. On board their spaceship, Wildflower, is Sakura a young woman who seems mentally unhinged, yet whose jumbled words and childish manner of speaking holds deeper meaning. Syaoran slowly grows to care for her and eventually gets embroiled in the secrets surrounding her, which has something to do with a secret project called Clow, Sakura being kidnapped at a young age and being tested on, and a bill that's trying to pass government that will limit the rights of sorcerers (of which, Syaoran is one).

It is a really amazing story that spends its time fleshing out both the world created by the author and the characters whose personalities and interactions stay mostly true to their canon originals. If people are worried about any of the characters acting "out of character", that really isn't the case with this story. They're all shaped a bit differently being older in this story and the story doesn't have the idealistic, cutesy innocence of the original manga/anime, but the dynamics and important characteristics are left in place. I would most definitely recommend it to anyone willing to give an AU story a try.

Quote:
The headache shouldn't have just disappeared like that. Not so quickly, not without him even trying very hard to heal it. It was as if... someone else had stepped in and done it for him. Touch was normally required for any healer to do that, and no one had been near.

Unsettling. Hopefully a few sword drills would help him to feel better, and then he could get some more sleep. His internal clock had been scrambled a long time ago, but he reckoned it must be somewhere in the early morning. He squeezed his fist and focused his thoughts, and the familiar rush of power shot down his arm and into the pendant. An elegant sword materialized in his hand, and he gave an experimental twirl before beginning his patterns.

Drilling with his family's heirloom sword, his most prized possession, always soothed Li. Here in the quiet of this strange ship, floating through space, he spun and slashed and stabbed the air. Forward Slice, Reverse Slice, High Block. Crescent Parry, spin, Reverse Thrust. Downward Strike.

"Downward Strike."

Li jumped a foot in the air and actually yelped in surprise. She was sitting on the bottom step, hugging her arms to her chest and watching him. How could he have not sensed her? Or even seen her!

Too late he hid the sword behind his back.

"I thought you'd gone back to sleep, you shouldn't be wandering around the ship at night." She fixed him with that unblinking gaze and did not reply. She didn't seem any more inclined to sleep than he was, and did not move from her position on the steps. He blushed a little when he realized his gaze was lingering on her mostly bare legs, and forced himself to keep his eyes on her face. "Anyway, I bet your brother wouldn't like you hanging out down here when you should be in bed. So go on, go back to -"

His mind finally caught up with him and he cut himself short.

"What did you say?"

She clasped her hands together and grinned. Hesitantly, Li held his sword out again and slashed it downward, stopping just short of a metallic clang against the floor.

"Downward strike," she chanted happily.

"That's right. How did you – how did you know that?"

She said nothing, waiting. Li thought a moment, then gripped the handle with both hands and stabbed forward.

"Straight thrust!" Again he changed his grip and sliced the air twice before assuming a new stance. "Slice, Reverse Slice, Middle Block." All fairly basic moves, and he decided to try something more complicated.

"Hooking Block, Inward Reverse Slice, spin, Slice, jump, High Vertical Block in x stance, elbow thrust, side kick, Low Thrust, back thrust with hilt, Straight Slice," she recited perfectly with every corresponding action. She beamed proudly at Li's awed expression.

"You're right; all of it, it was right. You didn't miss one. How could you know all that, no one studies the sword anymore."

She shrugged complacently. Mystified, Li drifted closer until he could kneel on the steps beside her and look directly into her eyes. There was no trace of the bloodcurdling terror that had been prevalent earlier, only a delighted twinkle.

"Sakura..." She dimpled at his first use of her name. "Don't, ah, don't mention this to anyone. Okay? Your brother can't know about this." In his hand the magical sword returned to pendant form. She giggled and placed a finger over her lips.

"Secret."

"That's right, secret. Touya no know, right?" She nodded quickly, and he exhaled with relief. "Are you ready to go back to bed now?"

She looked a trifle disappointed, but nodded again.

"Yes." For a moment he tensed up, afraid she might try to touch him, but she only stood and skipped up the stairs. Li was left alone in the dark, his sacred pendant dangling from one finger.

"Something," he murmured aloud to the ship, "is going on here."

-------

now we'll parade around without game plans (Girl Who Leapt Through Time), by Agent of the Apothecary

Summary: They make a life of intersecting roads, verving towards and away in the coming days. // Makoto, Chiaki, the Future.

Couples: Makoto/Chiaki

Review: This is a short (~3,700 words) but sweet story told in snippets of Makoto's life. Chiaki continually comes back to visit her, but at different points in their lives (Makoto continues to get older, but Chiaki's age varies with each meeting). I love it when an author can effectively tie together segments that seem disjointed but all weave around each other by the end. We see things linearly like what Makoto does, but for Chiaki it's not, and so each scene requires us to look at it from two points of view. There is some humor in the story, but it's mainly dramatic, gradually leading up to the desolate future that Chiaki comes from.

The author has also written some other good Girl Who Leapt Through Time stories (and stories from other fandoms). I definitely recommend checking them out as well.

Quote:
Kousuke doesn't smile, but there's a curl to his lip, and he tries to mask it by taking another sip from the brown bottle. On a later day, Makoto will wonder a bit philosophically when Kousuke stopped smiling, but she'll give up the question in favor of other important topics (like, doing work so as not to be fired and how to pay 62,900 yen rent with 40,000 yen salary and do I buy groceries or get electricity for the month) before coming to a conclusion.

The only available option is when Makoto said no, which is most definitely not something that bears thinking about.

"Drinks!" cries Makoto, and goes to coerce her already tipsy guests into a further state of disarray. She kind of enjoys the chaos, which is why she doesn't see the letter slipped under her door until the next morning.

Stopped by for a second, saw you were busy and caught a movie. See you on the flip side, Chiaki

For the next seven months, there is a note pinned to the door of Makoto's apartment with the header of To Whom It May Concern (and I Mean You, Chiaki!) You are such an annoying bitch.

-------

Cauterize (Harry Potter), by Lady Altair

Summary: "Of course it's missing something vital. That's the point." Dennis Creevey takes up his brother's camera after the war.

Review: A short collection of vignettes focusing on the scars left after the final battle.

Quote:
George Weasley goes next. When Dennis displays the photograph, some ignorant critic finds fault with the framing. "Too heavy on one side…empty space on the left. Terrible photograph…missing something vital," he concludes.

Dennis doesn't quite know how to explain, that's the point. These are scars of the war; the blank white emptiness of the backdrop on the right hand side of the photograph is the scar, more than the missing ear that's barely noticeable.

Of course it's missing something vital. That's the point.

-------

Ripple Effect (Naruto), by rayemars

Summary: Sasuke's return to Konoha, and everything that comes after it. Some people have changed more than they wanted or deserved to.

Couples: Sakura/Lee, implied Hinata/Sasuke & Hinata/Naruto (all romance in the story is mostly tertiary, more subtext than anything else)

Notes: Tragedy, alternate timeline

Review: This is one of my absolute favorite Naruto fanfics. It is a Team 7 story that mostly focuses on mending their partnership with one another after Sasuke's return all while trying to deal with major changes happening to Naruto due to the Kyuubi. Naruto, being a shounen series, has very idealistic tones or themes - the hero being able to achieve his most important goals and being able to inspire others, protagonists dying without regrets, the characters growing stronger from their pains and struggles, etc. Some of these would seem to run counter intuitive to what one might expect shinobi life would be like. This story approaches Naruto from a more realistic standpoint. It is a tragedy in that dreams are lost and the characters are forced to make unfair decisions with rough consequences.

The story starts with Sasuke's forced return to Konoha, and things have greatly changed since he left, most having to do with Naruto. The Kyuubi's powers are growing and are physically starting to change him, something he isn't able to control. The village's fear of him continues to grow, and he's been put on ANBU watch. Sakura is medic who's trying to research into anything that can reverse the change. Over the course of the story, it only continues to get worse to the point where Tsunade has to painfully contemplate execution due to the fear it's causing and potential risk he brings to the village. I won't give away the ending, but I will mention that there are no main character deaths. But neither is it happy. It is rough, emotional, and a bit bleak, but the characters keep on fighting.

The main selling point of the series are the bonds formed between the characters, especially the bond between Team 7. The situation is tragic, but once forged their bond remains strong to the point where they put its priority over everything else. There are also important side relationships with Lee and Hinata, but they take a backseat to Team 7.

Overall, it is a really amazing, heart-wrenching story. I can't recommend it enough.

Quote:
Naruto was slouched against the wall beside the door. Hinata was sitting on the ground beside him, resting her temple against the metal leg of a gurney. Sasuke started to sit down across from them, but he had barely bent his knees when Naruto grabbed his collar and slammed him against the wall.

"Why didn't you tell me?" he yelled. "You said it was safe!"

"We said it was dangerous," Sasuke replied, glaring at him. "That's why we made her stay here in the first place."

"You were watching!" Naruto slammed him against the wall again. "Why didn't you make her quit in the middle, dammit? She could have DIED!"

The gurney rattled as Hinata pulled herself onto her feet. "Naruto-kun, please . . . please, stop. There was no way to quit. She told us. . . ."

Naruto turned his head enough to see her. "The hell there wasn't! She should have stopped and rested for a day!"

Sasuke knocked Naruto's hand away with his good forearm. "And then the massively enraged fox demon would have taken over the second you stopped concentrating on holding it back and killed everyone. Do you have any idea how much she was counting on you to keep it in control, idiot?"

"Bullshit," Naruto replied, glaring at him. "If that were true, it could have killed you guys in there if I'd slipped."

Sasuke didn't reply. He stared over the blond's shoulder at the door.

After several long moments, punctuated by the unnatural silence in the hallway, Naruto took a step back. He looked at Hinata again.

She was leaning heavily against the gurney and the wall, but she managed to give him a small smile. "She warned us beforehand, what could happen if . . . that's why we had so much trouble convincing her to do the surgery here, close to the hospital."

"You guys. . . ." Naruto turned back to Sasuke. "You. . . . Why? She and Lee . . . and you, you had Itachi to--"

Sasuke punched him in the jaw.

That was a bad idea, he reflected a moment later, as he cradled his bandaged hand to his chest.

"Stop asking stupid questions," he muttered, still refusing to look at the expression in Naruto's eyes.

When Lee arrived, the three of them were sitting silently in the hallway. Naruto had dragged two benches over from another hall, and he and Sasuke were sitting on one while Hinata lay on the other.

Tsunade had left the room long enough to tell them that Sakura was unconscious, that whether she had suffered any permanent damage from chakra exhaustion and not breathing would be revealed once she woke up, and that they were to refrain from speaking about anything from that morning in loud voices in public. Then she called for an IV and closed the door again. She wouldn't let them see Sakura.

Several people had been given orders to find Lee once his part was learned, but one of the snakes reached him first.

The security on the floor let Lee through once he handed the still-unconscious Oukei over to a medicnin. He strode awkwardly up to the three of them, favoring his left leg.

"She's okay," Naruto told him before Lee could even ask. "I mean, Tsunade's acting like she's gonna be okay. She said there could be problems, though, but we won't know 'til she wakes up. . . ."

Lee nodded and touched the door. "Can I see her?"

Naruto shook his head. "She hasn't let any of us in."

Lee let his hand fall. Then he sat down on the floor next to Hinata's bench, beside the door.

"Come here," Sasuke said harshly. Lee gave him a confused look, but then his leg jerked.

"Oh!" Lee said, before pushing down his leg warmer enough for a blacksnake to slide out. He started to hand it to Sasuke, but it moved away from his touch and slithered up to the hand Sasuke set near the floor. It tried to curl around his arm, but Sasuke braced his other hand against his elbow, blocking it.

"I didn't tell you to slow him down," he said flatly, lifting his arm.

The blacksnake draped itself heavily over his wrist and bit at the skin above his elbow. "It's cold," it replied. "And you made us go through this damn village first before even getting to the forest--people kept trying to step on me!"

"Things are different here," Sasuke said.

"But I still brought him back," it finished, in a tone that indicated it had done him a huge favor. The snake pushed its head through the space between his bandaged thumb and index finger and slid partly through, before resting its head on his upper arm. Sasuke grit his teeth to keep from wincing. Naruto made a faint growling sound. "And I want hares," the blacksnake informed him. "Five of them. Hispid hares."

"There aren't any of those in this country," Sasuke told it.

The blacksnake casually wound its tail around his wrist. "Then think of something, genius."

Asshole, Sasuke thought at it. "Where are the others?"

"They went back when I found him."

"Fine." Sasuke attempted to extract his bandaged hand from the snake's grip. "That's all. Thank you, Martel-san."

The snake disappeared. Sasuke wiped away the blood from its bite with his wrist.

"Thank you for that, Sasuke-kun," Lee said after a brief silence.

The other teenager shrugged and didn't look up. "I was already bleeding."

——
——
——

When the door was closed behind them, Hinata gave Sasuke a worried look. "I'm sorry . . . Sakura-chan mentioned it to me, so I thought . . . I didn't mean to say anything that would cause you trouble."

Sasuke shrugged a shoulder faintly. "You didn't know."

Naruto walked past him, turning to the left and heading for the back stairs instead of the waiting room. Shizune had cordoned off the entire hallway, not even posting anbu members at the ends. They had to jump over a few tripwires that were only visible to those leaving rather than entering.

As Naruto pushed a gurney that was blocking the way against the wall, he glanced back at Sakura's door.

"I'm not gonna let her down," he said quietly.

"What?" Sasuke asked, taking the opportunity to change the subject.

Naruto didn't reply immediately. Once they got to the stairs, though, he said, "I don't want to be Hokage anymore just to make people acknowledge my existence." He pushed open the door. "Hell, they're already doing that."

Sasuke glanced over. Naruto was almost smiling.

"And I don't really want to be Hokage to protect the village," he added, as the door closed behind them. He started down the stairs. "I don't really like half the people here anymore. They break my stuff, they harass Sakura-chan and Lee . . . Iruka-sensei gets all the troublemakers in his classes. Some people are even not-so-nice-people to Kakashi-sensei, just because you were his favorite." He looked at Sasuke. "Did you know that first week you came back, someone tore up the garden at your foster parents' house?"

Sasuke had been carefully keeping step with Naruto, while Hinata trailed behind them, but he faltered at that. "What?"

"They got caught, and Tsunade kept them in jail for two days before even letting them talk to anyone . . . but. I don't really care about protecting them or whether they give a damn about me being alive or not."

Sasuke was beginning to curse the fact that Naruto was walking on his right side, so the only way he could draw a weapon would be with his bad hand.

Hinata was biting her lip. She started to reach out, but then drew her hand back. But when they reached a landing, she reached out and touched Naruto's wrist.

He didn't acknowledge the action for a moment; but when he took the next step off the landing, he reached back and took her hand in his own.

"I still will," Naruto said. "Even if I don't care, if anyone died, it might work back so that one of my precious people gets hurt by it. So I will. But, I told Sakura-chan, I'm gonna be Hokage so I can change things."

He squeezed Hinata's hand. "There's too much . . . it's fucked up. The Hyuuga branch house, the way we treat people who flunk out of the Academy or who don't want to join, all this clan-ranking bloodline crap, the way. . . . It's not right." He shoved open the door to the first floor. "I don't want to live anywhere but here, but there's stuff that needs to be fixed."

Sasuke chose his answer with more care than his slighting tone implied. "You can't build a utopia out of a ninja village."

"I'm gonna try," Naruto snapped. "I made promises, dammit."

It's definitely him, Sasuke decided.

He slid his good hand in his pocket. ". . . If it happens, it'll have to be you that does it. No one else would be stupid enough to dare."

Naruto didn't reply to that, but he did almost smile.

I have other stories I'd like to recommend, but I think this will be all for now.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Akane the Catgirl

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:35 pm Reply with quote
I am happy to say that I write plenty of fanfiction! Posting it, however, is an entirely different thing. I have a love/hate relationship with fanfiction.net, and I tend to keep a lot of things to myself. Most of the time, I never show off my writing to anyone.

Favorite fanfiction?

When Pandora's Box is Opened: For anyone who's desperate for Detective Conan to end, please read this. It acts as the perfect finale to both the Detective Conan manga AND it's predecessor, Magic Kaito. A bit of warning; this was written years ago, back when several characters were not yet introduced.

[/b]Lelouch of Britannia: So what would happen if Lelouch remained a prince of Britannia? Only good things. Seriously, this may be one of the best fanfictions I have EVER read. It's very clear from the first chapter that the author put more love and thought into this story than the original creators of Code Geass did to theirs. I highly recommend it to every Code Geass fan.

What about fanfiction projects?

I've been working on a Disney/Anime crossover for about two years, now. Actually, it started out as a Disney-only fanfic (which, by the way, was completely cliche). After two years, the only thing my current idea has in common with the first draft was the protagonist's first name. What's about? Sorry, that may change at a later date. Wink

And that's about it, I guess.[/code]
nightjuan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:31 pm Reply with quote
Many years ago, I used to read a fair amount of fan fiction and even tried out a couple aborted attempts to write a little of it myself.

I was too young and none of them amounted to much of anything in the long run, but right now I'm not particularly interested in writing or reading more, though I still admire the work of those fans who can pull it off very well.

Akane the Catgirl wrote:

[/b]Lelouch of Britannia[b]: So what would happen if Lelouch remained a prince of Britannia? Only good things. Seriously, this may be one of the best fanfictions I have EVER read. It's very clear from the first chapter that the author put more love and thought into this story than the original creators of Code Geass did to theirs. I highly recommend it to every Code Geass fan.

Notwithstanding the above, I always have an issue with this sort of comparison. Why? Because fan fiction authors have the benefit of hindsight by working off an established source material, as well as not having to meet a regular schedule, among other differences between formats. It's a bit of an unbalanced situation.

And, of course, there's also the matter of fanfic authors having different objectives in mind than the creators, whether or not their work turns out to be superior or lacking in a particular area. If anything, the best fanfics I recall reading were usually very different from the original works.
Minimimiau

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:07 pm Reply with quote
Its extremely rare that I read fanfics. My experience when I read something is that the author don't complete it (something like 6 episodes of 10)
Chagen46

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:14 am Reply with quote
I almost never read fanfic.

I am, however, WRITING a Hyperdimension Neptunia fanfic, though school has basically destroyed my ability to work on it.
ashleyco

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:29 pm Reply with quote
There are several series where I become deeply entrenched in the fandom.
meepsheeps

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:38 pm Reply with quote
Used to be obsessed with OTP/Ship fanfics to get a romance dose per night, but now I lay off the fanfics and watch more anime LOL
Daiki Tetsuya

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:21 pm Reply with quote
Sometimes yes
mdo7

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 7:58 pm Reply with quote
I used to read a lot of fanfic, but not a lot anymore.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 6:26 am Reply with quote
Yes on occasion but rarely Anime ones. Most of the ones I read seem to be for Classic TV.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:36 pm Reply with quote
Did occasionally during college and while unemployed, either involving couples for some anime and manga titles or for what if scenarios involving characters from my favorite American animated title, Daria.

Embarrassing as it sounds, I attempted to put together a fanfic that was a FLCL/ Love Hina crossover while in college. But I lost interest in writing it after a few chapters.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Polls All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4