• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Ronia the Robber's Daughter's 1st Video Previews CG Footage

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 6:02 am Reply with quote
*sigh* Why does he keep getting work when he's nowhere near as talented as his dad?
CeaseActivity

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 6:08 am Reply with quote
I'm really really unsure whether I like this or not.
Detrimont

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 6:20 am Reply with quote
At least it doesn't look 12FPS like every other CG anime
Momokochan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 6:31 am Reply with quote
woow that 3d looks cheeap, at least smooth the edges guys I can still quite a few polygons.
trilaan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 6:37 am Reply with quote
Good luck, Goro. Maybe you'll finally find your niche as the Miyazaki of Television.
Sloggett

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:31 am Reply with quote
This has been on my radar since first revealed last year. Not happy with this footage and it looks like I'm not alone.

I wanted to enjoy both "Kingdom"and "Shidonia no Kishi" but couldn't get past the terrible CG. Also had similar feelings with the new "MCOG". Such a shame Sad

Even though CG is looking better these days, it's still not at a level where I can accept it over traditional animation. With a movie budget it can look pretty good, Evangelion Rebuild films look decent. When it comes to TV the budget just isn't there, characters end up looking jarring and plain lifeless.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:39 am Reply with quote
Sloggett wrote:
Even though CG is looking better these days, it's still not at a level where I can accept it over traditional animation. With a movie budget it can look pretty good, Evangelion Rebuild films look decent. When it comes to TV the budget just isn't there, characters end up looking jarring and plain lifeless.

Yep. Despite the technological advances, for some reason CG still has trouble carrying the same character emotions as traditional animation. Just look at the recent french sequels of The Mysterious Cities of Gold...

If this trailer holds, there will be some really pissed of Swedish otaku...
jet_

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:30 am Reply with quote
F*ck everything about this.
koinosuke

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:35 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
*sigh* Why does he keep getting work when he's nowhere near as talented as his dad?

If being near as talented as Miyazaki Sr. was a prerequisite for getting work in anime, you'd be able to count the amount of directors in the industry on a single hand.

Goro redeemed himself with From Up on Poppy Hill, which is overall a very well regarded movie. I'm looking forward to this, though I have to admit the CG look leaves a lot to be desired.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:15 am Reply with quote
koinosuke wrote:
If being near as talented as Miyazaki Sr. was a prerequisite for getting work in anime, you'd be able to count the amount of directors in the industry on a single hand.

I think you could say the same thing about Ishinomori or Tezuka themselves.
LaFreccia

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:46 am Reply with quote
I think Knights of Sidonia was pretty decent. I wouldn't say I prefer the CG to a traditional art-style, but I think the animation studio deserves a chance to try something like this out. CG in space is a lot easier to pull off, so this will be a challenge.

Learn and Grow!
thekingsdinner

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:56 am Reply with quote
Goro, I love your stuff, but I'm skipping out on this one. At this point I'm just avoiding CG anime altogether, I tried to like it numerous times but it looks way too out-of-place for my taste.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:05 pm Reply with quote
You guys sound so spoiled. Not all CG is Hollywood status. There is more Arpeggio and Kishi on the way.
ninjapet

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:56 pm Reply with quote
I don't think it looks that bad, it sort of reminds me of that ps3 game Ghibi did.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 1:59 pm Reply with quote
The CG in Sidonia and Arpeggio at least helped with the rigid mechanical design the only drawbacks were the humans the the guana and on the humans I mostly noticed it in long non-black hair movement. I don't think it'll work in an environment that's just totally soft and organic like a forest. Luckily Arpeggio and Sidonia more than made up for any animation shortcomings by being fun and exciting, the total opposite of that Appleseed thing, they succeeded in spite of their handicap.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3