• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What Are You Considering Buying?

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ortensia1980

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 6:48 am Reply with quote
I'd just get the DVD boxset as well to be honest. You could always upgrade to BD later on when you buy a BD player. Those European complete sets were released a couple of weeks ago so there's no danger that they'll go out of print any time soon!
Amara Tenoh

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 4:35 am Reply with quote
I'm considering buying NIS America's release of Cardcaptor Sakura.

Two questions.

1. Is the Animax dub any good? I've only been able to find the first episode online and it's okay. I want to know if it gets better as the series goes on.

2. If I do buy this, should I first watch this is the Animax Dub or the Japanese Dub? I usually watch my anime dubbed, but I am not opposed to watching subbed.
Crisha

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 1:02 pm Reply with quote
I've never heard the Animax dub, but responses I've seen tend to lean on the "it's sufficient, but nothing great" side.

Personally, I would go for the original Japanese, because that was a really great dub. If an English dub of the series existed using the VAs from the second movie, I would probably watch it (I thought it was well done... also, I really like Mona Marshall). But I never expect a redub to happen for the CCS series. Therefore, Japanese all the way.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
zawa113

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 3:47 pm Reply with quote
With the Viz manga sale on Rightstuf, I'm considering starting the behemoth that is One Piece. I was considering getting omnibuses for the first arc, East Blue. Since I'm a got anime member, it makes more sense than getting them at B&N. I remember back when it was coming out ages ago, like back when 4Kids was mangling it on TV, I got maybe the first 5 volumes or so. I enjoyed it, but don't remember a whole lot honestly. But I also know some things are popular for a reason. Will East Blue get me into the series as a whole? Is it as daunting a task as it looks or not really once you get into it?
ajr

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:00 am Reply with quote
How daunting of a task is it? Although the first few mini-arcs admittedly aren't that great, (Usopp and Sanji's segments are the slowest bits), I was definitely on board by the end of East Blue, and it's smooth sailing from that point on. Just know that sometimes, One Piece is kinda stupid. But that's okay; it's some of the smartest dumb fun out there.
potatochobit

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:30 am Reply with quote
I need to get one of these
maybe I need two, idk yet

phia_one

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:45 pm Reply with quote
What are peoples thoughts on the Cat's Eye anime? It seems like something I might enjoy, but I'd like more input.
zawa113

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:51 pm Reply with quote
^Did you try out the two eps Nozomi posted on youtube for free? That's what I did (with that and a bunch of shows during the last Nozomi sale). It led me to buy Dirty Pair, but I think I'd need to see more Cat's Eye first personally. They'll eventually post more when they rotate around shows. But at least try out those two episodes if you haven't already.
potatochobit

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:25 pm Reply with quote
A neat little toy coming out this month is called hako vision
if you like hatsune miku you probably want one soon

it turns your iphone into a little dancing stage
the green box will come with tell your world
and the red box the world is mine
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:22 am Reply with quote
If I'm in need of older anime titles in case my stockpile's getting low, I'm considering...

Space Adventure Cobra TV
Fist of the North Star (both seasons)
Little Busters
Black Cat

Yu-gi-oh: Duel Monsters (complete series set)
Captain Harlock TV
All Purpose Cat Girl Nuku Nuku
Hack/ Roots
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
zawa113

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:33 pm Reply with quote
Definitely get Cobra, I enjoyed the hell outta that one! Even if it did get a bit predictable towards the end. If you don't already have Dirty Pair, get that and Cobra during the next Nozomi sale.

Captain Harlock I'm kind of iffy on. Not just because it spoils minor deaths in its damn next ep previews, but because it's definitely not as good as the Galaxy Express 999 movie.

I'm also iffy on recommending Fist of the North Star. The first two arcs of the series are great fun, then the third arc kind of drags, I'm not quite to the fourth arc yet (though I plan to skip the seven recap eps at the end of arc 3, because seven recap eps? Really?). From a historical point, every comedy anime even today still has to reference it, and those jokes only become funnier with more info on the series. Although by today's standards, it's actually refreshing to see a shonen hero straight up kill a bad guy, they seemed to stop doing that at some point in the 90s or something. I mean, Kenshin Himura has a reverse blade sword specifically not to kill anyone, but Kenshiro will walk through a mob going "A-TA-TA-TA-TA!" and a bunch of people explode blood behind him. And he does it all without doing this "oh my god, what I have become?!" thing either, so I actually like Kenshiro a lot, it's almost funny how different he is from today's shonen heroes, it really is. And I never did get sick of the line "You're already dead", oddly enough. You will also have to put your thinking brain at the door before you try and figure out how to a post apocalyptic earth has so many shoulder pads, outrageously colored hair dyes, and working motorcycles, or where Kenshiro keeps getting his shirts because he destroys one at least every other episode. Not to mention how the nooks seem to outnumber normal people sometimes.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:06 pm Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:
Definitely get Cobra, I enjoyed the hell outta that one! Even if it did get a bit predictable towards the end. If you don't already have Dirty Pair, get that and Cobra during the next Nozomi sale.

I binged on the Dirty Pair franchise last year since I seen bits of the franchise on the Showtime Beyond channel a decade ago. The TV series and OVAs had their points where I laughed, but it was hit or miss for me. The movies were mostly forgettable and I don't even want to get started on talking about the Flash OVAs.
zawa113

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:37 pm Reply with quote
I didn't buy the Flash OVA series when I binge bought Dirty Pair blindly. I've seen the features, they're decent, but I am quite enjoying the series because it's so very very 80s in my favorite way. I definitely love the TV series' ED song and visuals, they're pretty cool.
zawa113

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:56 pm Reply with quote
I'm considering buying Digimon: Data Squad. Frontier was the last Digimon series I saw as it aired on TV (jeez, must've been ten years ago I did that, damn do I feel old now), thus it's the last one I really have nostalgia for, faults and all (and there are a lot of faults with Frontier). But Data Squad, from what I've looked up online, seems to have the most polarizing views of it, it seems to be either love it or hate it with no in between. I'm not sure if nostalgia (or lack of it) will help or hurt here really.
DKL

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 5:48 am Reply with quote
Amara Tenoh wrote:
I'm considering buying NIS America's release of Cardcaptor Sakura.

Two questions.

1. Is the Animax dub any good? I've only been able to find the first episode online and it's okay. I want to know if it gets better as the series goes on.

2. If I do buy this, should I first watch this is the Animax Dub or the Japanese Dub? I usually watch my anime dubbed, but I am not opposed to watching subbed.

The thing about Animax dubs is that they tend to be really inconsistent between episodes (it's like there's different directors, scriptwriters or whatever holding the thing at any given moment... then there's random cast switches and small cast sizes (Kero and Meilin are like the same voice, Syaoran and Yukito are the same voice)).

I remember thinking to myself that the best dubbed episode out of the first 35 episodes was that one episode where Kero runs away from home.

Haven't heard the last 35 episodes in English yet since I left the Philippines before they aired that.

It's... honestly not as good as what you'd get out of a US-based studio (the Toradora dub made me so happy and I sincerely hope that NIS goes back in and dubs things), but maybe it's something you can revisit during a rewatch.

Sub route might be the safe option.

That said, even though I've gone on an NIS binge recently (I was pretty much just picking stuff out at their website), I feel an unusual urge to get Fate/Zero (local version) even though I could never make it past the first episode.

WHATEVER, I'M GOING IN.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 113 of 132