• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Prosecution Asks for 4.5 Years for Kuroko's Basketball Threat Suspect

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:56 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
TarsTarkas wrote:
From what I understand, Japanese prisons are not nice places. Don't the families have to bring food to the prisoner or pay for their meals?

I never heard of this, where do you hear that from??

I was stationed in Japan for three years in the 90's. But I had a question mark in my statement, because I could be getting my nations mixed up.

Heard stories about American prisoners in Japan, and how they had to keep to a certain area of their cell, and could only sleep when allowed. Could be American prisoners are treated differently than Japanese nationals, don't really know.
mdo7

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:59 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:

Heard stories about American prisoners in Japan, and how they had to keep to a certain area of their cell, and could only sleep when allowed. Could be American prisoners are treated differently than Japanese nationals, don't really know.

It wouldn't surprise me, Japanese police tend to treat foreigners differently from Japanese nationals when it comes to crime.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
KENZICHI

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:45 pm Reply with quote
iloveturkey wrote:
simona.com wrote:
the Japanese judicial system *is* a joke.
they should give him forced labor FOREVER to repay all the damage he's done!

I am unsure what third world country you're thinking of where empty threats warrant a lifetime of cruel and unusual labor, but I think we should all be glad we don't live there.

This topic seems filled with fans way too biased to be rational and who know nothing about actual law. 4.5 years for empty threats seems entirely fair. Not even America would sentence this man for life, and we love to over crowd our prisons over the stupidest reasons.

Even someone who knows nothing about laws can tell that this sentence is not fair at all. He didn't just give out empty threats. This guy caused Kuroko's creator to lose money and even jeopardized his series. So 4.5 years is definitely not enough. Even if that's all the jail time he gets he needs to at least pay restitution for all he's done or even community service. SOMETHING.
Cam0

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 7:17 am Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
4 and a half years?? Given the nature of the crime, it should be maybe 15-20 years in Jail, if you don't want him commiting the same crime why not make the jail sentence longer then 4 1/2 years.

In where I live he'd have gotten half of that probably.
mdo7

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:45 am Reply with quote
Cam0 wrote:
mdo7 wrote:
4 and a half years?? Given the nature of the crime, it should be maybe 15-20 years in Jail, if you don't want him commiting the same crime why not make the jail sentence longer then 4 1/2 years.

In where I live he'd have gotten half of that probably.

Yeah this make me lose faith into the Japanese justice system.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
iloveturkey

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 12:42 pm Reply with quote
KENZICHI wrote:
Even someone who knows nothing about laws can tell that this sentence is not fair at all. He didn't just give out empty threats. This guy caused Kuroko's creator to lose money and even jeopardized his series. So 4.5 years is definitely not enough. Even if that's all the jail time he gets he needs to at least pay restitution for all he's done or even community service. SOMETHING.

You only consider it not fair because you're a fan of the series. This is why they look for impartial jurors. Any potential financial loss would be for the persecuters to prove. As far as am I aware the bulk of his crimes were getting some events cancelled. 99% of them fan events. That hardly puts the series in jeopordy. The series itself was put into so many headlines because of this one could make the argument the publicity boosted sales of the manga. The only people with a strong claim to financial damages are doujinshi circles who rely on those events to sell their works.

Regardless, financial loss is not a crime met with these kinds of punishments. The people calling for 20 years to life are saying this man deserves to be punished more than people who actually are terrorists. Murderers. Robbers. Arsonists. Rapists. Hijackers. Multitude of other violent and destructive crimes. 20 years is more than what the average serial rapist gets. Are people truly saying a man who disgruntled fans of a comic book is one of the greater evils out there?
LordByron227

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 1:29 pm Reply with quote
Considering the usual tariff for Murder in Japan is usually 10-15 years and rape is usually less than 6 years. I'm not surprised he got 4.5 years. Considering no physical harm was done, this seems like a reasonable sentence in context.
KENZICHI

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:44 pm Reply with quote
iloveturkey wrote:
KENZICHI wrote:

You only consider it not fair because you're a fan of the series. This is why they look for impartial jurors. Any potential financial loss would be for the persecuters to prove. As far as am I aware the bulk of his crimes were getting some events cancelled. 99% of them fan events. That hardly puts the series in jeopordy. The series itself was put into so many headlines because of this one could make the argument the publicity boosted sales of the manga. The only people with a strong claim to financial damages are doujinshi circles who rely on those events to sell their works.

Regardless, financial loss is not a crime met with these kinds of punishments. The people calling for 20 years to life are saying this man deserves to be punished more than people who actually are terrorists. Murderers. Robbers. Arsonists. Rapists. Hijackers. Multitude of other violent and destructive crimes. 20 years is more than what the average serial rapist gets. Are people truly saying a man who disgruntled fans of a comic book is one of the greater evils out there?

How do you know I'm a fan? I'm just thinking about what's fair. And, of course, he isn't the only one that I think gets too short a sentence. Many criminals who have done worse than him get off too easy I know that (and I hate it). I'm just talking about him right now. I know that Kuroko may have gotten even more publicity because of all this, but that doesn't mean it didn't cause the creator trouble. 4.5 years just isn't enough in my opinion and I'm sticking to it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2