• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Stand By Me Doraemon 3D CG Film's New Trailers Tease Drama, Romance

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EricJ2

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:27 am Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:
Japan doesn't really make those moral/life lesson of the day kids shows like America does. Doraemon is all about childhood adventures and having fun. The only real lesson of Doraemon is probably to enjoy your childhood while you can, because your worldview changes drastically as an adult. A bit of a depressing theme, all things considered.

And also that the best things are achieved with hard work, effort and honesty, because when you use a magic homework machine to get it done, things can tend to get out of hand very quickly.

Stuart Smith wrote:
Even though I didn't grow up with the 2005 version, watching the early opening for it still fills me with tons of nostalgia. I really enjoy the series, and the movies are fantastic. Even if you don't watch the series itself, I recommend the movies.

That's not the Doraemon theme!
Every great student of anime history knows, the culturally entrenched theme was from the 1979 series:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpmUDpWHXE4 Very Happy

(And the movies are good generic extended episodes, to get a flavor.
I've always liked the unabashed Harry Potter ripoff of Nobita & the Magic World, m'self, but it's hard to find much Doraemon on YouTube that isn't in Viet or Hindi.)
belvadeer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:49 am Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:
It's too bad that Disney X-D is practically ignoring the series as a throwaway summer replacement--Especially when it's the only good watchable non-Marvel show on X-D, but there's almost literally no mention of it on the Disney website, after they took down the trailer.

Dear god, are they seriously that stupid? I certainly hope Doraemon is doing good in the ratings currently so that they don't just cast it aside like they did Naruto. I can honestly say that Doraemon is leagues above Naruto anyway, but that's beside the point.
epicwizard

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:51 pm Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:
Yeah, I hadn't seen Doraemon in....a week, since I YouTubed the Disney X-D episodes. Wink
(Although the fan subbed episodes of the JP 2014 series are still about.)

michaeltanzer wrote:
Damn right!!! I think John Lasseter and Disney should buy the rights to the film, badly!

It's too bad that Disney X-D is practically ignoring the series as a throwaway summer replacement--Especially when it's the only good watchable non-Marvel show on X-D, but there's almost literally no mention of it on the Disney website, after they took down the trailer. Otherwise there's ten to fifteen years of ready-made "direct-videos" for the importing.
This one, though, feels like it fell into a different company, who had to make it IMPORTANT! enough to end the series...Which it isn't anyway, since another traditional anime movie has already been announced. Rolling Eyes

If Disney X-D wasn't going to fully respect Doraemon, then it should've aired on Cartoon Network instead. Cartoon Network would've given it the full treatment it needed and there probably would've not been as much censorship.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:59 pm Reply with quote
michaeltanzer wrote:

If Disney X-D wasn't going to fully respect the series, then it should've aired on Cartoon Network instead. Cartoon Network would've given it the full treatment it needed

(pllfftt!! Shocked <- drink-spray)
We're talking about the same Cartoon Network, right? The one in the US?
And using "kids/comedy anime" and "CN would have treated it right" in the same sentence??

Disney may be "ignoring" it, but at least that means it'll escape unscathed.)

Last edited by EricJ2 on Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kutsu

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:00 pm Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:
Stuart Smith wrote:
Japan doesn't really make those moral/life lesson of the day kids shows like America does. Doraemon is all about childhood adventures and having fun. The only real lesson of Doraemon is probably to enjoy your childhood while you can, because your worldview changes drastically as an adult. A bit of a depressing theme, all things considered.

And also that the best things are achieved with hard work, effort and honesty, because when you use a magic homework machine to get it done, things can tend to get out of hand very quickly.

Stuart Smith wrote:
Even though I didn't grow up with the 2005 version, watching the early opening for it still fills me with tons of nostalgia. I really enjoy the series, and the movies are fantastic. Even if you don't watch the series itself, I recommend the movies.

That's not the Doraemon theme!
Every great student of anime history knows, the culturally entrenched theme was from the 1979 series:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpmUDpWHXE4 Very Happy

(And the movies are good generic extended episodes, to get a flavor.
I've always liked the unabashed Harry Potter ripoff of Nobita & the Magic World, m'self, but it's hard to find much Doraemon on YouTube that isn't in Viet or Hindi.)

'Doraemon no Uta' is probably the most heart-warming song in anime history (especially that version). That 2005 opening is decent enough I suppose but it's just one in a million j-pop like songs serving as an anime opening these days where as the original really stands out. Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2