• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Kill la Kill [Limited Edition] BD+DVD 1

Goto page   Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:22 am Reply with quote
One of my favorite shows from last year and I really enjoyed watching the characters and their performance that imo was very entertaining. The comedy was great too and kept my smiling almost every time. The latter half of the series got even more intense than the beginning with parts that surprised me quite a bit.

I thought this was one of the groundbreaking series last year by Studio Trigger. I hope they can keep up with this caliber in the future. Can't wait for that OVA. I think this review summed it up well.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:34 am Reply with quote
Quote:
It's a high price point for four episodes, and only diehard fans are likely to see the show through this release thanks to the sticker shock.

I don't want to start a 100+ comment thread that complains about the price of the release. It's Aniplex's property and they can do whatever they want with it.

I'm curious though if it will have the North American fan base to support it. Other pricey Aniplex releases, like the Monogatari series don't have the cost of a dub. And Madoka, which did have a dub, only had 3 DVD/Blu-rays, so you could get the entire series for under $200 if you wanted the limited packaging and under $100 with no bonus material.

I wonder how many people will think Kill La Kill is worth $360. I notice that the Fate/Zero series, which pretty much costs the same as Kill La Kill came out with a much cheaper version of its dubbed, "limited release" set. I'm curious if they'll do the same for Kill La Kill.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:40 am Reply with quote
Oh man, now I'm REALLY curious about the English dub hear how it evolves in later episodes!
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:45 am Reply with quote
Aniplex made it nearly impossible to own this series with their obscene price gouging. Even the normal, non-limited edition releases are ridiculously expensive for just the first four episodes. Funimation would have released this show in two sets of 12 episodes for around fifty dollars each, and that would have been that.

I'm going to actually make a value judgement on the people who buy Aniplex releases: you're ruining it for everybody else. Stop rewarding Aniplex's greed.

You can trot out your weak "Well, it's their show!" or "The Japanese happily pay these prices!" arguments, but we know they don't hold any water. The Japanese shouldn't have to pay these prices, either, and usually we don't. It's the work of executives that are completely out of touch with reality. You're not supporting the art with your purchase, you're lining the greedy's pockets and making things difficult for your fellow anime fans.

It's too bad. Kill la Kill is one of my favorite shows from the past few years.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
SouthPacific

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:11 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Aniplex made it nearly impossible to own this series with their obscene price gouging. Even the normal, non-limited edition releases are ridiculously expensive for just the first four episodes. Funimation would have released this show in two sets of 12 episodes for around fifty dollars each, and that would have been that.

I'm going to actually make a value judgement on the people who buy Aniplex releases: you're ruining it for everybody else. Stop rewarding Aniplex's greed.

You can trot out your weak "Well, it's their show!" or "The Japanese happily pay these prices!" arguments, but we know they don't hold any water. The Japanese shouldn't have to pay these prices, either, and usually we don't. It's the work of executives that are completely out of touch with reality. You're not supporting the art with your purchase, you're lining the greedy's pockets and making things difficult for your fellow anime fans.

It's too bad. Kill la Kill is one of my favorite shows from the past few years.

And here we go again, the ignorance of some western fans (even if they've been around for a decade like in your case) never ceases to exist... It's not impossible to own, it's freaking $60. If you've got the time to make lengthy rants on the internet you should be able to scrape together that much. Funimation would've released this a year from now, and it would've been plastered with issues, as with most of their recent releases (missing subtitle lines, massive dips in bitrates, faulty audio etc...).

And value judgement? More like wordpoop. As is the rest of your post. No one should pay these prices? Heh... I guess you don't want anime to exist then, because the ones keeping the industry afloat are the ones who are willing to pay up for fancy releases.

spoiler[I'm not going to bother to reply to you any further, unless you manage to somehow keep my interest by not beating a horse that's already 12 ft below. G'day!]
fullmetalhollow

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:18 pm Reply with quote
one of the best most creative and funnest animes I've ever seen, period. Can't wait for the dub. Me and my girlfriend might save up and buy this.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:22 pm Reply with quote
Oh boy! Here comes another Aniplex USA shit storm. I wonder if ANN should avoid covering anything AoA related to avoid these pointless discussion that will not change anything.

penguintruth wrote:
You're not supporting the art with your purchase, you're lining the greedy's pockets and making things difficult for your fellow anime fans.

I know I should not pay attention to penguintruth's hyperbolic and angry statements, but I do not see how supporting AoA releases is hurting "your fellow anime fans"

I am perfectly fine paying for what I like; don't worry about my economy. If you want to help this "fellow anime fan", put a sock on it and stop regurgitating the same thing every time an AoA topic is brought up.

Last edited by Angel M Cazares on Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:00 pm; edited 2 times in total
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:25 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

I'm going to actually make a value judgement on the people who buy Aniplex releases: you're ruining it for everybody

Meeep.

But, but...I'm not buying it for anyone else but myself. So uh...I can't really help you there, because I don't think the price is terrible. And besides, I finally get the OST with the DVD, instead of buying it for $45 at Kinokuniya. It works out pretty well, imo.

Why I gotta be called an "elitist collector?"

:c

I just like what I like, I can't punish you with having personal tastes.

Anywaaayyyy

I'm glad the dub got a good review. I'm looking forward to getting this in my collection...when I'm not poor that is.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:32 pm Reply with quote
SouthPacific wrote:
It's not impossible to own, it's freaking $60. If you've got the time to make lengthy rants on the internet you should be able to scrape together that much. Funimation would've released this a year from now, and it would've been plastered with issues, as with most of their recent releases (missing subtitle lines, massive dips in bitrates, faulty audio etc...).

60 bucks for four episodes is dire, just dire. For what extras? Post cards? A poster? What kind of person is still so impressed with that they're able to overlook the huge price? This wouldn't even have gone over a decade ago!

Funimation's flubs are pretty rare and they would have had both the subtitled AND dubbed versions available for streaming, besides which. It would have been worth waiting an extra year for. And their releases would have gone down in price, whereas Aniplex releases only go up as they become scarce.

One company cares about the fans, the other doesn't.

SouthPacific wrote:
No one should pay these prices? Heh... I guess you don't want anime to exist then, because the ones keeping the industry afloat are the ones who are willing to pay up for fancy releases.

Ahahaha, sure thing. Yeah, Aniplex is really struggling if you don't pay those obscene prices.

I'm all for buying anime. I want to buy KLK. But I'm not crazy. I'm not bleeding myself dry for four episodes of a decent show when I can go to Funimation and buy 13 or 14 for just as good a show for half as much.

Last edited by penguintruth on Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:36 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:33 pm Reply with quote
A good dumb fun action show, maybe I'll watch it again in a decade – I just don't really understand the several vocal people out there who've claimed to have seen the show four times through already. Shit, I can't watch anything that much in such a short period without growing tired of it.
mdo7

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:37 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
Oh boy! Here comes another Aniplex USA shit storm. I wonder if ANN should avoid covering anything AoA related to avoid these pointless discussion that will not change anything.

Reading the petty fights between penny pinchers and elitist collectors is not that amusing anymore.

Yeah, I'll agreed that anything Aniplex related will cause flame war between the fans of Aniplex and their enemies on this forum.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Crisha

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:38 pm Reply with quote
I keep coming back to the question whether or not it's worth getting the limited edition releases, even though my conclusion most times is that it's not. I like soundtracks, but the soundtrack attached to this release is a rearranged and remixed version and not the original soundtrack. And I'm tired of collecting postcards and posters with creases in them that I'll probably never display. Say what you will about Funi's QC issues with packaging, but I've been more impressed and pleased with their LEs than Aniplex USA's.

On the other hand, I like the artwork for the LEs more than the regular editions. And if I'm gonna have 5 singles sitting on my shelves, LEs tend to look better than bluray case spines especially when they don't even have a slipcover. Neutral

So I'm just taking the sit and wait approach, waiting to see what the upcoming LEs have for extras. And if the first LE sells out during my wait? Whelp, at least that makes the decision for me.
Hellwarden

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:43 pm Reply with quote
I'll be honest, I didn't like Kill la Kill that much.

Granted, I didn't watch the whole thing, because Ryuko was just too boring to me. Some people tell me she gets development later on, but its hard to find a character's quest is just revenge interesting. And shocker, there's more to the main character than her simple dumb quest for revenge.

Also Mako wasn't ever funny to me. She's just goddamn annoying.

So the pricing debate is kinda moot to me, because even if it was cheaper, I wouldn't buy it. That said, if people wanna say, Screw Aniplex. Let em. Aniplex is a company, they're not gonna hurt its feelings. That said, don't be a dick who insults other people for buying it.

Last edited by Hellwarden on Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:12 pm; edited 2 times in total
Blatch
Thread Killer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:46 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:

Meanwhile, I will help the cause by... continuing to not buy any Aniplex products, I guess.
Gambeno

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:47 pm Reply with quote
I picked up the LE and its great. The dub is actually pretty good, and the OST comes with the slower version of, "Before my body is dry" which is excellent. Great set for people who love the show.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 11