• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Multiple Choice

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:31 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I agree about Karneval. Having read the manga a year ago, I was disappointed by the anime adaptation. It didn't really any memorable moments. I did think the first episode had a good setup though but the overall execution wasn't good.

On the other hand, Problem Children surprised me. I really like the whole concept after getting used to the characters early on. Might give the LN a try also.

Oh and cute cat <3
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ShatteredWorld

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:35 pm Reply with quote
Karneval gets too much hate tbh

I personally liked it. It wasn't amazing, but it was enjoyable
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:44 pm Reply with quote
You know, in Date A Live, that scene with the swimsuit and dog ears was SUPPOSED to be super awkward and creepy. Shido was trying to her Origami to hate him by acting like the biggest scumbag possible.
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:55 pm Reply with quote
Awwww... I love the picture of your doggy.

As always, thank you for the column!
everapril

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:24 pm Reply with quote
Got into a tiff with my fiancé over having at least two shelves of a bookcase for my manga in an inconspicuous corner of our new house.
Him: "You need to compromise!"
Me: "I am compromising!"
Him: "How much space do you really need for comics? What is your end game?"
Me: "To be featured in Shelf Life on ANN! So I'm compromising!" He of course had no idea what I was talking about, but I managed to nerd him into submission and got my two crappy shelves.
ChaseM

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:30 pm Reply with quote
I see one problem with the review on Date A Live. Kotori does not work for the AST, but rather a rival group that does not believe in just attempting to kill the spirits, but rather sealing their destructive abilities. Hence bringing in Shido with his ability to do so via kissing.
sunflower

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:34 pm Reply with quote
Karneval really was a disappointment. I watched the whole thing, hoping they'd get the story together but they just kept opening threads and jumping around and resolving very little. I assumed they were going to have a part 2 wherein everything would make sense, but they never did. As it's stands, I wouldn't recommend it either.
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:39 pm Reply with quote
Ah problem Children, it is a fun show but to this day I don't understand why it only has 11 episodes. The sad thing is is that it probably won't even get a season 2 so it's really like eating one M&M and not getting the rest.

I haven't seen date alive but after hearing about it over and over again I kinda want to see it because it keeps popping up somewhere.
meiam

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:45 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
thoroughly entertaining, if largely unmemorable series.

Pretty much nail the series, wonder if we'll get a second season. They do set it up for a multi season without really any resolution, but I doubt we'll get anymore.

Having not watch date a live, I fail to see why it would be in rental worthy, the description made it sounds really bad, even by crappy harem standard. The setting just seems like there desperately trying to set themselves apart from the usually harem series, kinda like some guys trying to make a video on youtube of himself playing a bunch of instrument at the same time, but then he play all of them really badly and the entire things just seems really desperate (oh and he has some weird S&M poster in the background).
Yttrbio
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:57 pm Reply with quote
That's an incredibly specific comparison.

There's nothing different about Date a Live, it's just a well-made version of this kind of show, especially when things heat up in the last third.
sakuragtin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:06 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, can't say I agree with Karneval being perishable. It certainly was messy and not very consistent with plot flow - it got side tracked a lot, but I still found it pretty entertaining and enjoyed watching it. I would recommend it to friends who want a show loaded with gorgeous guys with fantasy elements in it. It just managed to hit all the right buttons to make me fall in love.
Little_Hawk

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:16 pm Reply with quote
Well, Problem Children was interesting enough for me to start reading the fan-translated light novels, mainly because the main dude is surrounded by cute girls, but it's not a harem.
AnimeMaine

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:27 pm Reply with quote
I bought Date A Live when I had enough points on my Amazon card (so I paid no cash.) That was just right for this show. I had read reviews that intrigued me, but I thought it might just be fan service. When I finally saw it, I found that it had more of a story than I expected, and am hoping that more answers are revealed in Date A Live II.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:27 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
You know, in Date A Live, that scene with the swimsuit and dog ears was SUPPOSED to be super awkward and creepy. Shido was trying to her Origami to hate him by acting like the biggest scumbag possible.

Right, but the intent doesn't make it not awkward. My point in that paragraph was that if you don't like seeing that kind of thing, you won't like the show. And that was just one example; there is a lot of "if I do this [fanservicey] thing, will you like me, pretty please?" for many of the characters, both because of, or in spite of Shido's actions.

Shido and the girls are not real; the writers who write the show are real. Those scenes are fanservice, regardless of Shido's actions.
Cyclone1993

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:36 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
In one episode, Shidō tells one of the girls he'd prefer her in a school swimsuit wearing dog ears and a tail, and she surprises him by donning one immediately. In the next scene, she uses his belt as a collar, and starts crawling on all fours, in public.

The thing about this scene is that she isn't a Spirit, so she knew better. She's just perverted xD

Anyway, I marathoned all of Date a Live recently, and found it not terrible. Nothing particularly memorable, but it was fun while it lasted. I am looking forward to the movie though as long as it isn't a recap movie!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3