• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Aldnoah.Zero (TV) (both seasons).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:38 pm Reply with quote
Episode 2: Attack of the Cloned!

Olympus Knights and Asimov {just as an OS, not even a robotic AI version} makes me want to make a very dumb "Nightfall" pun ... oh, that reminds me; The falling moon rocks resulting in atomic bomb style blasts are from that Heinlein novel "The Moon is a Harsh Mistress" and...

Let Justice Be Done Though the Heavens Fall.
No, that was a revolution based on an oppressed society fighting for its rights; An outright assault neither merits justice on the behalf of the defenders {fighting for survival is different} or defines it for the attackers; Unless they have the same justice system and its retribution for past deeds ? Wait, that was Nadesico again.

"F-22" versus advanced aliens. This will ... not ... be our Independence Day!

The assault vehicle from Aliens. Wonderful, it'll work just as well here as it did there. {They forgot breaking the wall which would have actually worked in their favor... instead of "random tunnel". Pity, a theft I would have allowed}

And when the score gets pompous such as the "guy in parachute" scene, there it is again, giggling. If only they added the Wilhelm, that would have been great!

So, yeah, that's how the "assassination plot" gets revealed to the audience, thanks for having no shred of originality; "We can't have you blab what you know..." which as this is the early part of the series, won't escalate as it applies to him as well{ Is there a spy/Bond film where that hasn't been used? It's called, sigh , "you have outlived your usefulness"}. Also, Villain! so he has villain immunity for now. Also, I laughed because I really have to ... hand ... it to him.

... please, just f**** stop it already with that "score", you're killing me. Yes, there's such as thing as "one woman wail" and it has its uses but set things up first then Wail later.

Yes, the bot had a power shield that obliterated matter {...all over its body except? How's he moving? Hey, there it is} but only Inaho was smart enough to notice it and make use of it. Good thing he's so detached.

"Okisuke" That's not how you spell "oops". Also, idiot.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:47 pm Reply with quote
I was not super into this show with eps 1 and 2, but ep 3 really drew me into it. I'm on board for a while now. I like the MC with his cool personality, I tend to prefer that to the gungho genki types, and I don't think he's like full-on sociopath or anything, since he does seem to be effected by events and care about people, he just keeps is reigned in and keeps his shoulder to the wheel. Also loved the end-credit sequence. Great timing.

Quote:

So kids know how to do that but all of the worlds top minds in government/military don't? Yea, that's totally Scooby Doo stuff there.

The distinction was that the enemy took the military as a threat and alpha-struck them before the military could really do anything about it. Hard to put up a solid defense when you've already been headshot. The kids were underestimated, so they had time to think and plan a strategy, and only had one mech to deal with.

One thing I particularly liked with the field was that they answered all the right questions. spoiler[I was thinking as he was talking about it blocking all waves, "well then how does he see. . oh, they answered that. Well then how does the drone signal reach him through the field? Oh, they answered that too." A lot of the cheap mistakes that comic/scifi writers sometimes flub, they came up with good ideals for. Of course they would have been screwed if the wi-fi antenna was in the legs or something. It probably should have been infinitely black though.]

Quote:

If I had a criticisms, it would be more that the mech had to use floating camera when they could have easily used a geostationary satellite, even with our technology were at the point were we can make out individual people from the ground, so you'd figure he'd have something way better than that.

A satellite would need a powerful receiver, probably more than could be used through the field.

Quote:

I do not get why the cameras were only visual. Why not infra-red or heat signature readings? This would have got around the smoke screens and it is equipment you would expect the military to have (considering they have a ridiculously powered suit).

Perhaps the smoke screen included heat-occluding materials.

Quote:
But I actually don't really want that. One thing, spoiler[just like in Gargantia, seems that Urobuchi wants the Terrans to be always right.]

I kinda doubt that will stay. I mean maybe the core cast will stay noble, but I in this sort of show, imagine at some point there will be military jerkwads who will want to do something horrible. I'm actually hedging towards the spoiler[terrans turning the local castle over to their side, when it becomes apparent that the other martians are ####s.]

Quote:
okay, so you are part of a super-secret assassination team tasked with killing your own Princess to justify an interplanetary war and...

...you bring your daughter along? Okay, then.

It's a deep cover op. I imagine they'd been there for a while. You ever watch The Americans on FX? I don't, but as I understand it that's the premise. Wink
LordByron227

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:04 pm Reply with quote
On a side note, it seems as if the CR sub is using Naval Commisioned ranks, but Army enlisted. Kaizuka calls him Marito - 大尉 (which is the equivalent of an O-3, Captain in the Army/Marines, Naval Lieutenant for the Navy). Then you have Kaizuka being a Warrant Officer which is pretty much an army only rank.
meiam

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:52 pm Reply with quote
You know I just realize, this is kinda of a reverse setup from usual mech anime (at least for now, please stay that way). Instead of having the main character in a super mech fighting a bunch of regular one it's the opposite, the MC are in multiple regular mech fighting against one super mech.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:52 pm Reply with quote
LordByron227 wrote:
On a side note, it seems as if the CR sub is using Naval Commisioned ranks, but Army enlisted. Kaizuka calls him Marito - 大尉 (which is the equivalent of an O-3, Captain in the Army/Marines, Naval Lieutenant for the Navy). Then you have Kaizuka being a Warrant Officer which is pretty much an army only rank.

Are you talking US military or Japanese military (JSDF)? Because the US Navy certainly does have Warrant Officers.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:54 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
You know I just realize, this is kinda of a reverse setup from usual mech anime (at least for now, please stay that way). Instead of having the main character in a super mech fighting a bunch of regular one it's the opposite, the MC are in multiple regular mech fighting against one super mech.

yeah, but people still think this is a genetic mecha show.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:11 pm Reply with quote
People put too much weight behind 'originality.' Originality is dead. They should focus instead on how well the execution is, and, more importantly, how much they enjoy it. If some one is unable to enjoy something unless it's 100% original, well... I pity them.
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:27 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:

I think that's the entire point so that people will praise it based on that aspect even though as you saw all they did is just kind of flip the script a little bit.
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:55 pm Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
Might be a bit smart for its own good. When a person handwaves nonsense physics away, I can shrug and take it, but if they go into that much detail... spoiler[shouldn't the mech have been a blob of absolute darkness, with a wind constantly blowing towards it? Except for the weak spot, of course, which would be the only thing reflecting any light, obviating the need for the big huge water plan.]

Yeah, they specifically say that radar and laser light are absorbed by the barrier and not reflected, so the same should be true of visible light. All they should ever see is the "weak points." And even then, only from the right angles.

I'm finding the show interesting so far though, so I think I should be able to ignore these problems. Smile
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:23 am Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
People put too much weight behind 'originality.' Originality is dead. They should focus instead on how well the execution is, and, more importantly, how much they enjoy it. If some one is unable to enjoy something unless it's 100% original, well... I pity them.

Bullshit. Originality is not dead otherwise we wouldn't have had Knights of Sidonia or Samurai Flamenco or Attack on Titans. About 3 different animes as you could possibly expect and certainly not rehash of something already seen. And there are certainly more. Now it's true certain series have comfort zones, for instance any Macross is always the same basic variation of idols, music, and flying planes. Originality in Macross died after the tv series in 1983. Does that make any Macross "bad" ?
Aldnoah.Zero is original in the sense it doesn't not rehash some standard notion of mecha anime. I don't get what people were expecting with this anime, some kind of Gundam rehash perhaps ? Or a modern version of Giant Gorg or what ? Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:13 am Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:

I'm not the one who advertised it based on "originality" and I don't care if it is or not; I do however want it "honest". I haven't even gotten into "cataphracts" yet and the difference between Science Fiction mobile infantry and heavy cavalry.

Episode 3: Inaho must die!

Yeah, I would have done the Ewoks log thing to unbalance it rather than ... ok, he followed them onto the bridge because the girl was the last witness but Inaho didn't know that; If she stayed at the school, he never would have got on the bridge so score one for dumb plot luck..., I would have used satellite relays rather local aerial ones, I would not have done 99% coverage {back up pinpoint cameras with a second shield setting? Just a thought...} and I would have turned off the shield when I had too. {Power consumption ... not an issue? Really? Wow, the future is convenient}

Aren't we forgetting something? Not the end scene, that was just damn stupid, doing that to the link to the upper traitors. As opposed to using him as leverage, evidence, setting all the clans {I want to spell that with a "k" for some reason....} versus just the one, just spoiler[killing him was pointless]. But it will makes the series longer rather than just, you know, possibly end it now.

Let's see, what's missing: "Big rock fall", that's it.
As it was more action oriented, it wasn't as bad but it's still an awful job of setting up the world as I have to keep looking at supplementary info for character names, setting information, what just happened....

Things I don't have issues with:
The timeline as Vers isn't that much more advanced than the Terrans. Obviously, the shield is an interpretation of the teleport tech and really not well utilized and as such, they are not unbeatable. The first assault was a surprise attack {...nope, not going to say it....} from the highest elevation possible against an already ravaged land; New Orleans was attacked only because NYC is already gone; Tokyo's still there because, that. My first going into the series was "So the Terran forces don't have any cataphracts, kateracts? cateracts, mechs of their own?" They do but they're attacking with F-22s anyway just for crap story reasons? Nice!. Really, it's not but the story has to start with the kids having the conditioned military response while the profession soldiers act like emotional idiots because *ahem* "Dickheads"!

The captain Darzana Magbaredge; As she has taken an interest in the lieutenant, I have taken an interest in her. Don't know if I could follow the series just for her though.

Characters that need to drop, fast {deep breath}: Inaho, Inko {Not one of those wartime childhood romance triangles again, is there a mecha show without one?}, Calm {before the storm}, Yuki, Yuki, Yuki, Slaine, Yuki, Yuki and Yuki.
Also, Inaho's older sister, whatever her name was {It's like she's playing five different characters, all annoying. She's introduced as being incompetent, what's the world's fascination about her?}.
Galap

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:23 am Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:

Yeah, i'm going to call BS on this as well: there are plenty of things that introduce concepts that really have never been covered before, and execution isn't everything. At least to me, the concepts and premise really do matter a significant amount.
jl07045

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:20 am Reply with quote
Arguing about originality is useless. Depending on how you use that word you can prove that everything except 100% copies is original or trace the essence of every story back to the Greeks. It will always be about how you use that word and how many stories you've read/seen. So something that feels original for one person will not necessarily feel the same to another.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:39 am Reply with quote
Quote:

Bullshit. Originality is not dead otherwise we wouldn't have had Knights of Sidonia or Samurai Flamenco or Attack on Titans.

Sidonia is just Macross/Gargantia, Flamenco is just Kick-Ass, Attack on Titan is just an "alien post-apocalypse" show mixed with Spider-Man. Nothing is original, what matters is whether it's fun.

Anyways, I do like this one so far. It uses a tactical "boss fight" mechanic to it, which is a significant difference from the usual "ghetto stomping cannon fodder" mech shows.

Quote:
My first going into the series was "So the Terran forces don't have any cataphracts, kateracts? cateracts, mechs of their own?" They do but they're attacking with F-22s anyway just for crap story reasons? Nice!.

A mech is not automatically better than an F-22. They have the same weapons. An F-22 is a more mobile platform though, they could reach the enemy faster with those and deliver their weapons, the only problem was how ineffective those weapons were. A fleet of mechs would have performed not one bit better, they just would have arrived later and been even easier to target.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:16 pm Reply with quote
Ohoni wrote:
Sidonia is just Macross/Gargantia, Flamenco is just Kick-Ass, Attack on Titan is just an "alien post-apocalypse" show mixed with Spider-Man. Nothing is original, what matters is whether it's fun.

This. By originality we're talking about "something that's never been done before." Sidonia has robots: unoriginal. Flamenco is about a normal guy becoming a superhero: unoriginal. Attack on Titan has a young hot headed lead: unoriginal.

That's why I'm saying it's a waste to get hung up on if something is original or not. So what if you've seen it before? If you liked it the first time, no reason you wouldn't like it a second them.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 15 of 90