• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Why don't people use Libraries instead of scanlations?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thebeats42

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:47 am Reply with quote
Some libraries doesn't have manga.
Even if the scanlations are sometimes a little slow in updates most people think its worth the wait.
Touma

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:03 am Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
^Basically, we'd have a [preferably sticky] thread with an intro post and 3 placeholders.

Then, if someone is looking to see if their library has manga, they can check to see if we have info on their system.

I would like to participate in that.
I do not know how helpful my contributions might be to others, but it is a worthy project.

If nothing else it will promote awareness of libraries and let people know that they have some options and that they might be pleasantly surprised if they check their libraries for manga, and anime.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Buster Blader 126

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:11 am Reply with quote
Canada-wise, I can only vouch for Toronto and my home city (Mississauga, which is adjacent to Toronto) but both cities' manga selection is pretty decent.

Ease of access is certainly a large factor. Everything is scanlated and can be found online with a few clicks, with rare exceptions. (Excel Saga and Firefighter! Daigo of Fire Company M come to mind in terms of exceptions). Furthermore, getting oneself to the library also requires something called "effort."

When it comes to a library's lack of selection, people don't tend to realize that they can submit purchase requests to the library. I've probably driven my library system's graphic novel buyer up the wall with my library requests. Sometimes things I request get purchased right away: they picked up My Little Monster and Watamote a month after I requested it. Others titles can take months (Mobile Suit Gundam: The Origin) or even YEARS (Fairy Tail, missing Oh My Goddess! RTL volumes). I also get surprised by what they buy sometimes (they recently bought all 37 volumes of Berserk).

I've used the library since elementary school, and while there were times where I didn't use it during the latter part of elementary school + middle school, I use it now more than ever. It's gotten to a point where I never touch my own manga collection backlog save for some continuing series.
noblesse oblige

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:32 pm Reply with quote
I definitely make frequent use of the libraries. I use scanlations for series that simply aren't available in the US legally.

[quote="Buster Blader 126"]
Quote:
When it comes to a library's lack of selection, people don't tend to realize that they can submit purchase requests to the library. I've probably driven my library system's graphic novel buyer up the wall with my library requests. Sometimes things I request get purchased right away: they picked up My Little Monster and Watamote a month after I requested it. Others titles can take months (Mobile Suit Gundam: The Origin) or even YEARS (Fairy Tail, missing Oh My Goddess! RTL volumes). I also get surprised by what they buy sometimes (they recently bought all 37 volumes of Berserk).

Can you give any tips for how to go about encouraging your local library to expand their manga collection? (Maybe this is off-topic from the op, but it seems like a natural progression in the conversation. If not, delete this post.)
Buster Blader 126

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:27 pm Reply with quote
noblesse oblige wrote:
Can you give any tips for how to go about encouraging your local library to expand their manga collection? (Maybe this is off-topic from the op, but it seems like a natural progression in the conversation. If not, delete this post.)

Libraries should have some sort of way for a person to request books: whether through a form at a desk or an e-mail address. If anything, ask a librarian how to go about requesting new books.

Libraries should be taking these book requests seriously. It never hurts to send repeated requests every 1-2 months or so, should you not see your requested titles in the system. In my case, it can take as little as one month but can take upwards of several months to ever see titles I request. I'm still trying to get them to buy Toriko. Crying or Very sad
Dessa

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:00 pm Reply with quote
When requesting items from the library, it generally will have one of two outcomes. Every system should have some sort of request system in place, it's called RINC (Request Item Not in Catalog) for my local system.

When you RINC (or whatever it's called for you) a book, whomever is in charge of acquisitions will look at the request. If it's a book that's commonly requested, part of a series that's either commonly requested or that the library already has, that the library thinks will circulate well, or a number of other reasons, the library will look into purchasing the book. They may or may not be able to get it (availability, budget, etc), but they'd look into it.

If they're not able to get it, or it doesn't seem like the book would be a match for the library, then they'd look at borrowing it from another library system. For out-of-system books, you're really limited on your borrow time (for me, it's usually 2 weeks instead of the usual 3), and the library system has to pay for it being overdue, but you do get to enjoy the book.

Sadly, there are times when neither option works out, and your RINC goes unanswered.
Morisummer500

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:38 pm Reply with quote
I was looking for something to read at the library by my house several years ago and checked out some Uresei Yatsura manga, I didn't know what it was, all I read on the description was, "Girl In a Tiger Striped Bikini...", well I had to read this. I really loved it too. They also had other Takahashi mangas like Maison Ikkoku and Ramna 1/2, but I never got around to reading those, which was too bad, I could've started my "Shampoo crush" several years ago! Anyway, the library near my home now has some good manga like Negima that I'll get around to reading one of these days.
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:49 am Reply with quote
Annoyingly my library doesn't hold manga titles but I only read scans of series that haven't been released in English; once they have I buy them... I have my own library Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2