• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bandai Visual Planning 2 Gunbuster Gattai DVD Editions, No Film Run

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fightncomet

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 8:57 pm Reply with quote
I'm wondering if the music is going to be altered in the movie, as it was in the OVA for the first gunbuster series. In which case, I'll probably just end up purchasing the import version again.
~Brain.Wav~

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 9:33 pm Reply with quote
The music was altered, how so?

Jeez.. and I thought the price was steep when I thought it was unedited.
indrik

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 9:38 pm Reply with quote
They took out a part that was a parody of Chariots of Fire because they were afraid of getting sued. It was all over the place back when it came out. It's not exactly edited, but I guess it kind of is. I don't think there's any reason to expect a similar edit from the movie, I don't think that scene was included. Somebody else probably knows better than me, though.

If the standard edition is reasonably priced... this might induce me to buy it. And if it's good... it might be enough to convince me to buy Gunbuster 2.
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 9:42 pm Reply with quote
~Brain.Wav~ wrote:

In the original Gunbuster there is a scene where a new version of the song chariot of fire is playing. That scene just swap music out, otherwise it's unedited beside that.
fightncomet

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 12:35 am Reply with quote
The combination of that song and that scene really stood out to me and has remained with me ever since I saw the OVA series 15 years ago. I even bought the CD soundtrack because the song was so memorable. Sure, I found out it was a "cover" of chariots of fire, but I still liked and enjoyed it.

That's why when I found out that this song and scene were altered I had to get the original DVD. Anyhow, if you look at the art and box material quality of the import it was worth the money for my nostaliga.

That aside, I'm thinking that if Bandai was so worried about getting sued over the song with the release of the OVA, I'm pretty sure they'd cover themselves legally on the movie by removing it again. I mean, why do something half-assed, right?
Ryvius213

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 12:48 am Reply with quote
Wait, so is Bandai Visual gonna overprice the Gunbuster DVD and jack it up to $49.99 like they originally planned? Seems unreasonable if they're not gonna have any public screenings for it.
Pepperidge

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 1:23 am Reply with quote
Ryvius213 wrote:
Wait, so is Bandai Visual gonna overprice the Gunbuster DVD and jack it up to $49.99 like they originally planned? Seems unreasonable if they're not gonna have any public screenings for it.

You expect a reasonable strategy from Bandai Visual? With a non-figure version being released, we can expect the version with the figure to be $120 US minimum.
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 1:28 am Reply with quote
Pepperidge wrote:
You expect a reasonable strategy from Bandai Visual? With a non-figure version being released, we can expect the version with the figure to be $120 US minimum.

Well don't ya know that this a rare special figure....... Rolling Eyes
Pyoko

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 3:51 pm Reply with quote
Deltakiral wrote:
~Brain.Wav~ wrote:

In the original Gunbuster there is a scene where a new version of the song chariot of fire is playing. That scene just swap music out, otherwise it's unedited beside that.

Unless you count the audio for the entire first episode being shit quality because of the music change an edit (see here.)

Anyway I seem to recall someone mentioning that that particular scene (or at least together with that piece music) was not used in the movie version so there would be nothing to change, although I could remember wrong.
fightncomet

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 8:32 pm Reply with quote
Wow Pyoko,

I'm even more glad that I bought the original import! So, Pyoko, what do you think is gonna happen with the Audio in the Movie pack? Do you think it will be messed up again as well?
Pyoko

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 6:15 am Reply with quote
The audio for the movie was completely re-recorded and remixed in 5.1. Since it uses a different audio track, at least that one should be OK.
fightncomet

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 3:30 pm Reply with quote
Cool. Then, I'll try and support the US release if that's the case. If I hear different prior to the release (as with the OVA), I'll just end up buying the import.

I don't know what's up with Bandai lately. First the screwed up Gundam Zeta subs with no return policy, now low-quality audio on Gunbuster. What's next?
Shale

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 3:38 pm Reply with quote
Two different Bandais, there. Bandai Entertainment (usually just Bandai) and Bandai Visual are separate.
indrik

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 3:58 pm Reply with quote
I am completely unclear about the relationship between the two Bandais. I thought that they were different arms of the same company, owned by a parent company in Japan. Is that incorrect?

The wiki doesn't assuage my confusement:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bandai_Visual

It seems that BV is owned by Namco-Bandai, and Bandai Entertainment is an American distributor for Namco-Bandai. Bah.

Anyhow- have the suggested retail prices actually been released someplace?
MeggieMay

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 1:54 am Reply with quote
Think of it this way - Bandai is a mega corperation, like Sony or Time Warner. Because of this Bandai has many different branches and more than one branch in some countries. In this case Bandai has two branches in the United States now that deal with Anime (they probably have a few more covering other things they may own, btw). These are Bandai Entertainment, which has been in business for a number of years, and Bandai Visual, which is new. Bandai Visual is also a sub branch of Bandai in Japan, where I think Bandai Entertainment is just a American branch (they're actually Bandai Entertainment USA).

This would be similar to Time Warner, which overseas Time Magazine, Warner Bro Studios, AOL, CNN, Court TV, TBS, TNT, TCM, Cartoon Network, Adult Swim, et al, including verisons of the TV channels like Cartoon Network and TNT in South America, Europe and Australia.

Anyway, they're all fingers of a larger hand, so to speak. However, the each have their own separate groups of people who run them on a day to day basis. So while they all report to the "hand" they all work as separate entities from each other on a everyday basis.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1