• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Love Stage!! (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jacquipuff

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:13 pm Reply with quote
Oh Izumi, such an otaku. He's still cute, though. I like that they actually did explain why spoiler[Izumi and Rei didn't know about the kiss scene.]

I actually laughed out loud at the way Izumi's reaction to Ryouma's declaration of love was portrayed. The way Ryouma discovered that Izumi is male was also pretty amusing, definitely not how I expected it to happen. I also didn't expect spoiler[Ryouma's reaction to that to be quite so...mean, I guess? Since he was so incredibly nice before. But I imagine it's just shock and he'll be nicer again once he's had time to gather his thoughts.]

Oh, and little Izumi and Ryouma were really cute. "Wow, your grandmother must be a wizard!" "Maybe." Laughing
meiam

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:25 pm Reply with quote
Ahah, that "great divide" was awesome, love how the word even reflected in his eyes.

Really happy that he was genuinely surprised/upset discovering that he was a boy, was afraid he would just not care and then this would have turned into just another romance.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:17 pm Reply with quote
Episode 2

Lol at the reveal, the spoiler[huge words spouting from a divide], and the spoiler[bro pulling things down and flipping them up].

I am still not scared yet, I probably could have used a bit more content in this episode, but it was still entertaining enough. One thing I wonder is how these two guys who are apparently attracted to girls are actually going to end up not minding and being all over each other like the OP shows. If my own sexuality will allow it, I will continue, and so far it ain't half bad.

Hmmm, should I recommend this to my innocent sister who is a Ouran fan?
CrowLia

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:56 am Reply with quote
It may be soon to say it, but I'm extremely pleased with the scriptwriting and directing of this adaptation. Even though they're stalling and creating new scenes, they are so well scripted you can barely notice they weren't in the manga and work incredibly well in building up the characters (like the scene of spoiler[Rei and Seiya, which didn't happen in the manga, and gave Izumi's father at least some agency on anything, he's almost a non-entity in the manga])

Also loved Eguchi's performance when spoiler[Ryoma realized the truth], it was histerical. I'm glad this is getting so fantastically adapted.
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:51 pm Reply with quote

spoiler[Izumi broke the precious marble.
LOL here comes trouble..
Rei sure is a sly one.
Guess Ryouma crush isn't going away that easily.
Gotta cut him some slack since he thought Izumi was a girl.
Izumi's manga dream is just too far to reach.
Maybe if he got someone to draw & he only did the story..
Ryouma actually going to get his charm back from Izumi, wasn't that convenient.
Izumi & Ryouma home alone... Epic!!!!!
I did not expect to see that much.
That fan service was awesome!]
A Mystery

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:28 pm Reply with quote
@ookamigirl: ... spoiler[F-f-f-fanservice Shocked? You were NOT disgusted by] that scene?

Anyway,

Episode 3.

The episode started on hilarious notes, though it spoiler[ended on a... shocking note. I'm curious how they'll play that out, I mean how can you ever trust someone - or even love someone who's done that to you? The reactions to the scene were luckily negative, though the background music during Rei and Izumi's brother's scene was a bit odd,] as was Shougo's voice acting. The lines fit, but the execution somehow didn't. And baka Shougo didn't even think of spoiler[getting police involved, though in real life such issues are often swept away under the carpet as well.]
meiam

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:29 pm Reply with quote
I wouldn't call it fan service, to me fan service serve no purpose, you could remove it from the story and it wouldn't change anything, its there purely for the viewer sake. This wasn't, it clearly has a purpose in the story.

I'm just glad a romance anime actually acknowledge that spoiler[sex is a pretty big part of love, and that doing a romance show where all the character are somehow completely devoid of any sexual desire stop you from really talking about love in the story. It's just kinda sad that for some reason yaoi/yuri realize that but not most straight romance (I think it more has to do with censorship of certain things, if you'd gender flip Izumi there would have been a huge backlash)]
Jacquipuff

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:17 pm Reply with quote
More good funny moments in this episode. Some of my favorites were the marble inexplicably ricocheting around like a pinball, Ryouma walking into the pole, and the spoiler[Shougo-oniisan] scene at the end.

A Mystery wrote:
as was Shougo's voice acting. The lines fit, but the execution somehow didn't.

I think that might be because the person doing Shougo's voice is Daigo, who is a singer rather than a voice actor (and is actually the brother of one of the creators of the original manga, and was the basis for the character of Shougo in the first place). From the beginning I've felt that the way he says his lines sometimes sounds a bit odd, but I like the voice itself, so I don't let it bother me.

Looking forward to seeing how things will develop from here.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:20 pm Reply with quote
Episode 3

Oh no he didn't!

I strangely enjoyed that one scene. What does that say about my sexuality? Am I just desensitized from spoiler[various types of making out regardless of gender], maybe from spoiler[Sakura Trick]? As long as spoiler[there is love].... although I don't think it was spoiler[entirely consensual].
CrowLia

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:46 am Reply with quote
Was I the only one sort of put off by the rosy blurry censorship? Although I'd be glad if they keep thespoiler[ sex scenes], I would almost prefer they change the camera angles or something, rather than put this kind of ridiculous and unsettling pink stuff everywhere.

Anyway, still pleased with how they're adapting this. This manga does a great turnaround of tropes with itsspoiler[ handling of the rape scene], and I'm really looking forward to see it animated, especially since the writing of the anime compliments and improves the original story.
Jacquipuff

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:15 am Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
Was I the only one sort of put off by the rosy blurry censorship? Although I'd be glad if they keep thespoiler[ sex scenes], I would almost prefer they change the camera angles or something, rather than put this kind of ridiculous and unsettling pink stuff everywhere.

You weren't the only one. I found it weird and distracting. I wanted to mention it in my post, but I couldn't quite think of how to describe it. "Rosy blurry censorship" works quite well.
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:29 am Reply with quote
Well I can say I was quietly enjoying this show as it was quite funny and charming......until this episode..........*sigh*

Might just be me but I'm getting sick of how these same sex romance shows have these unnecessary unconsensual rape scenes that get glossed over as being totally ok. Unless Ryouma spends the entire series regretting his impulsive behavior or is sent to jail I can't say I have any respect for him anymore.

I mean seriously I can imagine how much folks would be freaking out if Izumi was a girl. I really hate that double standard. Whether it be Female-Female, Male-Male or Male-Female rape is rape. I was able to enjoy the show despite not liking yaoi because the humor was good and the characters were outrageous fun. But if they are going to continue pulling crap like this with the whole SS lead falling in love with the aggressive male I can't say i want any of it. I'm not objecting to the fact two guys are doing sexual things I'm simply objecting to the fact this is something that I'm supposed think is totally cool because it's hot. Ugh....
CrowLia

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:06 am Reply with quote
I hear you on the spoiler[rape>love] trope in BL, but you might want to give this one a chance, they deal with it outstandingly better than most. Just from this episode you can tell that no one thinks this is a-okay, spoiler[Izumi is traumatized and Rei gets angry at himself for trusting Ryouma, and at Shogo for not telling anyone.]

And if you want to know (non-detailed spoiler for the manga)

spoiler[Ryouma does regret what he did and punishes himself for it in many other occassions. He also apologizes more than properly to Izumi, and makes real efforts to get Izumi's trust back.]

Also, Ryouma is in no way an aggressive seme, if anything, he's hopelessly romantic (as proved by his clinging to his first love) and a tad immature. He's not perfect by any means, and what he did in this episode is in no way excusable, but he's definitely a lot more likable and easy to root for than many other BL semes
Merida

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:05 am Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
I hear you on the spoiler[rape>love] trope in BL, but you might want to give this one a chance, they deal with it outstandingly better than most. Just from this episode you can tell that no one thinks this is a-okay, spoiler[Izumi is traumatized and Rei gets angry at himself for trusting Ryouma, and at Shogo for not telling anyone.]

Agreed. The problem with BL is that it's usually about two (or at least one) supposedly straight guys who "just happen to fall for each other". So the only way a lot of writers can imagine for them to get physical is when they are drunk and/or "uncontrollable sexual urges" are taking over...so even though i'd preferred them to avoid that cliché altogether, i think they handled it comparatively well and what i've heard - haven't read the manga myself - gives me hope that it'll continue this way, so i'm gonna keep watching.
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:20 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:

And if you want to know (non-detailed spoiler for the manga)

spoiler[Ryouma does regret what he did and punishes himself for it in many other occassions. He also apologizes more than properly to Izumi, and makes real efforts to get Izumi's trust back.]

Also, Ryouma is in no way an aggressive seme, if anything, he's hopelessly romantic (as proved by his clinging to his first love) and a tad immature. He's not perfect by any means, and what he did in this episode is in no way excusable, but he's definitely a lot more likable and easy to root for than many other BL semes

Thank you for clearing that up. While it's nice that they have treated the situation better than most shows I just hope it ends up being a one time thing. I feel like scenes of this nature make the relationships rather unrealistic because people don't simply brush stuff like that off. Sexual assault that is not treated as such is a real peeve of mine so I'm glad that isn't the case here.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5