• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Akame ga Kill! (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:40 am Reply with quote
WhiteHairGirls wrote:
leatherhead333 wrote:
I don’t see a reason to get behind our heroes when their sadistic methods of killing are only justified because all the villains are “I’M SO EVIL!” and the characters don’t have any real defining depth to them.

You don't need a reason. They are not heroes. They know they are committing murder. They all laughed when Tatsumi mentioned justice.

Quote:

But the way they did it lacked consistency. Someone tried to spoiler[sneak up on her before in the episode and failed.] Yeah she was aided by the scissors girl but she spoiler[still saw him coming.] But this episode she was suddenly completely oblivious to spoiler[the martial artist dude.] Given her experience i doubt she wouldn’t be spoiler[able to see him coming.]

Well the first batch of enemies were basically scrubs. The 5 guards all were trained under the strongest Imperial martial arts. Not to mention that guy was a former master.

Not true. We are supposed to see them as the good guys. Because their goal is to kill all the bad people to bring peace to the country. And the story weaves itself into making their actions justified. They are simply killing folks who do absouletly horrible things so there is no real problem with what they are doing right? They help out the weak people of the country and listen to their pleas. Regardless of any arbitrary statements the characters make we are most definitely supposed to see them as the good guys.

Also why would Tatsumi notice the guy before Mine? He didn't even happen to be looking in the guys direction. He acted on instinct. So why would Mine not notice either? She's been with the crew for a decent about of time. I'm pretty sure all of them would have been able to sense the guy if bloody Tatsumi could Laughing
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:54 am Reply with quote
leatherhead333 wrote:
Also why would Tatsumi notice the guy before Mine? He didn't even happen to be looking in the guys direction. He acted on instinct. So why would Mine not notice either? She's been with the crew for a decent about of time. I'm pretty sure all of them would have been able to sense the guy if bloody Tatsumi could Laughing

Well she is a long distance fighter, her strength is seeing someone from a long distance away, while he being more melee maybe means he is better in the immediate area. The enemy was a master of martial arts, and the rest of the group talked about them being tough in a front on fight. Clearly he was the one guy smart enough to think that the group the rest were fighting were merely meant to draw fight away from the sniper, and he planned out accordingly with stealth. What, you want the good guys to only be the unquestionably strongest?
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:11 am Reply with quote
No, but i don't want there to be retarded inconsistent scenarios that only happen to force a development. As with the first episode the series is pretty unapologetic about setting up these convenient situations that work to advance relationships as well the story as quickly as possible.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:59 am Reply with quote
Mine let her guard down. Simple as that.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:04 am Reply with quote
No, no, no, Vaisaga - the idea that characters in anime can make mistakes is... is... is... INCONSISTENT!!! Sure, in real life, for example, pro athletes are capable of blowing easy plays sometimes, but that common example doesn't apply in anime! Rolling Eyes

No, clearly this is a HORRIBLE show and leatherhead333 plans to spend several million words proving it. Rolling Eyes
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:09 am Reply with quote
I dont really know what to think of this show. It entertaining, and I certainly don't dislike it, but what it is supposed to be? A serious show with a bit of comedy, or a funny show with an occasional bit of seriousness? Its kinda like Brynhildr in the Darkness right now: deadly serious then a sharp turn to comedy. that worked well for me in Brynhildr, but not so much here
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:20 am Reply with quote
I look at it as them trying to find some levity in a world gone to shit. They might get crushed by the seriousness of their situation if they didn't make light of it at times.

Speaking of, anyone else watching the SD shorts? I love the second one. Best punchline to a "bad at cooking" joke I've ever seen.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:07 am Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Speaking of, anyone else watching the SD shorts?

I'll have to hunt around for them. The illicit aggregator that I use for streaming when there is no legit option is usually pretty good about having stuff like that, but not in this case. That's my one beef with CR - for whatever reason, they rarely provide this kind of supplementary material.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:35 am Reply with quote
leatherhead333 wrote:

It was briefly mentioned in the first episode that he can sense a certain amount of "killing intent." I think that was the phrase he used.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:23 pm Reply with quote
leatherhead333 wrote:

Not true. We are supposed to see them as the good guys. Because their goal is to kill all the bad people to bring peace to the country. And the story weaves itself into making their actions justified. They are simply killing folks who do absouletly horrible things so there is no real problem with what they are doing right? They help out the weak people of the country and listen to their pleas. Regardless of any arbitrary statements the characters make we are most definitely supposed to see them as the good guys.

Although I do agree that we are supposed to see the assassin troupe as "less bad" than the primary villains we have been shown so far, I don't think we are necessarily supposed to see them as good guys. As others have mentioned, they have acknowledged that they are not doing justice. They recognized that they are murderers. They might be murderers with a cause, but they are still murderers.

If you've watched the television series Dexter, you could probably draw some similarities there. In that show, Dexter is clearly not a "good guy." He is a serial killer who has simply chosen to only kill bad people. In his normal life, he is a crime scene blood spatter expert working for the police. But in his secret life, he clearly gets off on murdering people and is even shown to be addicted to it. Because the story is written from his perspective, the audience identifies with him and grows to like him, but you are constantly reminded that he is one step away from the death penalty.

In fact, I think Dexter might turn out to be even be "less bad" than some of the main characters in Akame ga Kill. He only kills because he has a compulsion that he can't control, and he steers that compulsion toward evil people in society. We don't know yet what are the full motivations of the main characters in this show, and especially their boss. I don't know if I really believe that their boss is simply fighting to help revolutionaries overthrow a corrupt government. I am wondering if there is some twist behind their group that will be unveiled later on. There are some hints that things aren't all goody goody on their side - someone already mentioned the scene in the most recent episode where the captured girl spoiler[is pleading for her life and one of our "heroes" coldly says that girls like her can't be trusted, before slicing her to death with wires]. That seemed very dark to me. I feel like the writers wouldn't put such a strong scene in there like that unless they were trying to foreshadow something.
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:21 pm Reply with quote
I think the advantage Dexter has in that situation Chibi is that the series focuses on the MC alone through most of show (I'd think it would anyway). You get see his inner struggle, motivations and turmoil he goes through when dealing with his condition.

With Akame ga Kill nearly all of that is brushed to the side. We don't really get to see what makes these characters tick. They merely act like a bunch of high school kids while they go and do their dirty jobs. Occasionally we get backstory for one of them but as i stated they only talk about it for maybe minute while tossing it to the side for some joke. So personally I feel like the connection I'm supposed to have for these characters would only be for the personality not the character. I may not seem like but I'm quite the sadistic fellow Wink

I like seeing characters go through struggles and pain. You really get to see what they are made of. And when they overcome those trials it has a lot more impact for me than if they were just get over it one episode. That's why Tatsumi's rather unnatural progression annoys me. He had problems with killing but got over it rather quickly. His friends died but the show continuously makes jokes whenever he thinks about them (though it's nice this was not done as much in episode 3). I just don't feel like he's struggling enough with the idea he's part of this crazy group as much as he should. I mean he's already at the point where he's trying to prove himself 3 episodes in. These are reasons I'm disappointed with the series because as of now I don't see it as much more than cheap entertainment. People in the group are likely to die at some point but at the moment I don't think that I would care. I have no deep connection with any of them.

A twist like you mentioned would be neat and is probably likely since the show thrives on shock value.

About the girl in the wire scene:

Actually Chibi i think that was merely to show off every character's personality when they kill. You'll notice every character was getting individual screentime when they killed thespoiler[ intruders]. Lubbock has already been shown to be a pervert and likes pretty women. After he spoiler[killed her he looks back at her face while thinking "What a waste".] I don't really think that scene has any precedence other than show off his personality.
Bango

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:30 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Speaking of, anyone else watching the SD shorts? I love the second one. Best punchline to a "bad at cooking" joke I've ever seen.

I didn't even know those existed. Err... in retrospect I should have by the filenames but it just didn't ding with me. Thanks for mentioning it.

Anyway, loved this ep. Mine's not so bad and her history isn't what I was expecting, which was good.
MrTerrorist

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:11 pm Reply with quote
Well Mine is so a Tsundere.
Still, i'm glad the show still shows even though Night Raid are overthrowing a corrupt regime, they are still bad guys who kill people who are in anyway allied with the regime.
12skippy21

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:31 pm Reply with quote
So far this show has been quite interesting, for those that are debating the nature of the main characters you may find some answers in the Orwellian novels, Animal Farm and 1984. spoiler[The main idea being that those who start off with good intentions eventually succumb to the habits of their forebearers].

While it may seem a stretch, anyone who achieves revolution through murder always has an underlying motive towards power, history shows us enough examples of this.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:45 am Reply with quote
Episode 4:

They still had some comedy moments despite the show getting grimmer every week. Well, we learn more about the spoiler[Teigu and Akame this episode (well a little about Akame anyways). Since they showed Kurome already in that illusion, there's no doubt we'll see her later in the show.]

The action was decent along with the OST. I actually thought this episode went pretty fast.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 6 of 35