• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
General Questions / Identifying Anime.

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Federated

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:53 pm Reply with quote
Venus Wars is close, but not quite it. I've been using myanimelist and youtube to find similar anime.
Galap

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:29 pm Reply with quote
Vintage is off again, but what about Big Wars?

I also just watched The Wearthering Continent. Pretty cool stuff!
Bango

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:08 pm Reply with quote
I still remember their promo tape that had a super overly dramatic voice saying "We've got wars. BIG ... .... ....... WAAARRRRRS!"

Thanks for reminded me that existed.
Federated

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:56 pm Reply with quote
Galap wrote:
Vintage is off again, but what about Big Wars?

I also just watched The Weathering Continent. Pretty cool stuff!

Even closer content wise, but as your said the Vintage is off, about 10 years in this case. That big ass tank in Big Wars mowing through everything in it's path is close. But my recollection is pointing to something far bigger. Now that I think about it, it may have been a crashing star ship, or star ship that can hover planet side. But it wasn't Macross/Robotech.

This mystery anime was also similar to Venus Wars and Big Wars in it's uses of oranges in the pallet, perhaps indicative of a desert-like environment.

But again it was definitely early or mid 80s when I saw it.

I'll stumble upon it eventually Smile
pibburns

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 10:43 pm Reply with quote
Federated wrote:

Even closer content wise, but as your said the Vintage is off, about 10 years in this case. That big ass tank in Big Wars mowing through everything in it's path is close. But my recollection is pointing to something far bigger. Now that I think about it, it may have been a crashing star ship, or star ship that can hover planet side. But it wasn't Macross/Robotech.

This mystery anime was also similar to Venus Wars and Big Wars in it's uses of oranges in the pallet, perhaps indicative of a desert-like environment.

If it's possible you watched the film in 1987 rather than earlier, and it's not actually tanks involved, then perhaps you're thinking of The World of the Talisman, the Streamline version of Birth. This is set on a planet with lots of desert scenes, features some large mechanical creatures, a large ground-approaching spaceship, and a big black/blue/orange ball-like robot that smashes a deserted city by hovering close to the ground. This robot chases the protagonists for quite a while in the latter part of the film.

A later release of the Streamline version was renamed Planet Busters.

Some years later ADV released a more faithful English language version on DVD. ADV's version came out too recently to be what you saw.

You can probably find clips from the Streamline version in the usual places. It's a popular source of guffaws because the English dub is oddly amusing.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:02 pm Reply with quote
I am trying to remember an anime I watched last year. I am not sure if these characters were mains or just side characters for one specific episode. There is a kid that wants to be a hero so at night he would sneak out to "beat" the bad guys. The bad guys were actually thugs paid by his father. The thugs would pretend to lose the kid. Later on the thugs wanted more money but the dad couldn't pay. I think the dad gets saved by the main character.
Ignatz

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:04 pm Reply with quote
I was never a fan of the mecha genre, so excuse me if this question sounds dumb...

What is the difference between giant robot, real robot, super robot, and hybrid robot? What do those words even mean? Confused
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:16 pm Reply with quote
The funny thing is that most if not all of them are not robots.

From Wikipedia:
Quote:
A robot is a mechanical or virtual artificial agent, usually an electro-mechanical machine that is guided by a computer program or electronic circuitry.

Almost all of what are referred to as robots in anime are piloted and cannot move by themselves. The original concept of a robot is something that is self directed either through programming or artificial intelligence.

Of course, usage tends to create new definitions, so I guess they are now included in the term.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:47 pm Reply with quote
Ignatz wrote:
I was never a fan of the mecha genre, so excuse me if this question sounds dumb...

What is the difference between giant robot, real robot, super robot, and hybrid robot? What do those words even mean? Confused

Giant robot is just a broad term usually used to describe large, humanoid mecha.

Super robot shows like Mazinger, refers to the genre in which the robot is usually one of a kind and can only be piloted by the show's hero. Most of the time, the robot is also the only thing in the show that can save Earth or the universe. These shows were typical of the 1970s.

Real robot shows like Gundam or Macross have robots that are usually mass-produced like real-life tanks and fighter planes, or any other piece of military hardware that can be piloted by anyone with proper training. These shows were pretty popular in the 1980s.

Hybrid robot shows I'm guessing, since this is the first I've seen the term used, combine features of both real robot and super robot shows.
MacAttack270

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 6:11 pm Reply with quote
So after reading the several recent articles about the upcoming ufotable remake of Fate/Stay Night, I've decided to finally getting around to watching both the original DEEN version and Fate Zero.

I know Fate Zero is the prequel of the fate/stay night series, but my question is, which order should I watch them? Chronological order within the universe, or production order here irl. All thoughts and opinions are appreciated.
Federated

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:18 pm Reply with quote
@pibburns nope not quite it either, but seemingly close.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:42 pm Reply with quote
MacAttack270 wrote:
I know Fate Zero is the prequel of the fate/stay night series, but my question is, which order should I watch them? Chronological order within the universe, or production order here irl. All thoughts and opinions are appreciated.

Both series have spoilers for the other. Watch the original Fate/Stay Night (let's call it F/SN) first and you'll know who survives in Fate/ZERO (F/Z), which is an obvious spoiler. But watch F/Z first and you'll get a whole lot of background and other information that you weren't supposed to know in F/SN.

Basically, if you want a simple answer, it doesn't really matter which one you watch first. Just pick one and go for it, and you won't miss out on much. However, if you want my personal advice, well, I recommend that you watch the original F/SN first and then F/Z second.

The reason for this has to do with both the visuals and the music. F/SN wasn't really that well animated and the art style is not that impressive. And the music is okaaay but not top of the line (at least, not in my opinion). F/Z on the other hand looks awesome and sounds amazing, which isn't surprising given that it is more recent and had a bigger budget. If you watch F/Z then the high quality technical merits will spoil you and F/SN's visuals and music will be disappointing by comparison. But that scenario can be avoided by watching F/SN first, so that when you watch F/Z the strong technical merits will blow you away.

Anyway, like I said it doesn't matter too much either way, so if your personal preference is to watch the story chronologically then by all means go for it.
Key

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:49 pm Reply with quote
MacAttack270 wrote:
So after reading the several recent articles about the upcoming ufotable remake of Fate/Stay Night, I've decided to finally getting around to watching both the original DEEN version and Fate Zero.

You'll get widely varying opinions on this, as there are definite arguments in favor of and against either chronological or production order. Let's look at the two cases:

Watch Fate/Zero First: The big advantage to watching the two series in this order is that F/Z sets up certain elements in F/SN in such a way that they are easier to understand and have considerably more impact, especially the motivations which drive Shirou in F/SN and the way Saber's story eventually comes to a conclusion. The origins and relationships of certain characters in F/SN are also clearer (the Rin/Sakura relationship isn't clearly explained in F/SN, for instance, but you know it from the very beginning in F/Z), as is the deal behind one character who first pops up late in F/SN. The big disadvantage to this order is that F/Z spoils many of the big surprises and revelations in F/SN, which are dependent on the viewer not knowing precisely what happened in the previous Grail War.
Watch Fate/stay night First: No spoilers, and seeing how F/Z back-fills the story and brings it to the point where F/SN starts costs it nothing for dramatic impact. The disadvantage is that (at least in my opinion) you don't get the full impact of F/SN's story that way. I have often said that the most remarkable thing about F/Z is that it makes F/SN better, something you can rarely say about prequels.

Also be aware that there are some minor inconsistencies between the two concerning the climax of the Fourth Grail War. F/Z should be considered definitive in that regard.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dessa

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:22 am Reply with quote
I would go with watching Fate/stay night first, partially because that was the way the series was created, and partially because of what Gen Urobuchi (author of Fate/Zero) said at Sakura-Con a few years ago.

I'd asked him if there was difficulty in creating Fate/Zero, because the ending was already set going in. His response was that the way he writes, he always writes the ending first anyway. So there wasn't a change in the way he writes, but that he had to find a way to keep things interesting for the fans, who would come in already knowing the ending. However, while we "know" the ending, it's more that we know the outcome, not how it got to that point, and he felt that it was open enough for people to enjoy, despite knowing the ending.

In contrast, with Fate/Zero, everything that's really relevant to the story of Fate/stay night (Saber's identity, the fact that spoiler[Gilgamesh sticks around], the spoiler[nature of Illya], and the knowledge that spoiler[Rin and Sakura are siblings]) is pretty major spoilers for Fate/stay night (the third less so in the anime than in the VN), that lessens the effect. Finding out Saber's identity is one of the best and most powerful scenes in Fate/stay night, and it's something you know right off the bat in Fate/Zero. With spoiler[Gilgamesh's presence], that's pretty much the biggest plot twist of the Fate storyline, because there was no way you could ever know that there was spoiler[an 8th servant hanging around]. With spoiler[Illya's nature], it doesn't come as much into play in the anime, since it doesn't cover Heaven's Feel, but it still makes a difference in spoiler[your perspective of her character], since you'd think that spoiler[she's a 10-12 year old human girl], rather than a spoiler[18-year-old homunculus].

With the last one, it's not something that's made important in the anime (since it wasn't revealed in Fate or Unlimited Blade Works, which is where it derived the majority of its story from), but knowing it at the beginning drastically changes how some of spoiler[Rin's attitude toward Sakura] comes across.

Personally, I'd recommend F/sn > F/Z > F/sn. Fate/stay night is much more powerful watched first, and learning about how spoiler[things have gone horribly wrong]. Then you watch Fate/Zero, and learn how things spoiler[went so wrong]. Then you go back and watch Fate/stay night again, and you notice all the things you didn't notice the first time, and realize how the events of Fate/Zero set up the events of Fate/stay night, and how Fate/stay night is the direct result of Fate/Zero's actions, and the completion of its story.
hotate

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:41 am Reply with quote
Please help me identify this tragic space mecha movie.

1. a movie I watched on VHS in the 80's
2. cant remember if it was subtitled
3. What I can remember of the story as follows:

The male protagonist pilots a jet spacecraft that combines with other pilots to form a giant mech. There are non-mech spaceships, one of which looks like a flying fortress battleship (not yamato)

The protagonist has a female that he loves who joined the opposite enemy faction. She ends up possibly dying at the end.

I dont think there were any aliens. The opposing faction were all human. The leader of the opposing faction is a buff white male who wears a cape? They have a spaceship that has a weapon that can nukes planets and make them turn red.

There is a final space battle that results in many of the characters dying. The Earth ends up getting nuked and turning red. The protagonist confronts the leader who is injured but doesnt kill him? He takes his dying girlfriend and flies back to the post nuked Earth.

A few of these details may be a bit wrong, but they are mostly what I can remember.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 485 of 569