• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Interview: Thomas Sirdey, Co-Founder, Japan Expo

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:39 pm Reply with quote
ittoujuu wrote:
If I want a huge anime con with top headliner guests and a crushing amount of humans packed into a building, I've got AX.

I'm PRETTY sure that this is more what they are AIMING for based on the French variation, which is why I think it's stupid to have it in CA. (Because of people like yourself that know they already have that in AX)
Stepppingoui

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:39 pm Reply with quote
This sounds more interesting to me than the average convention. I would love to take a peek at the other sides of Japan but with this being held the first weekend of back to school. I can't even contemplate attending which is a little disappointing. Sad
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:23 pm Reply with quote
If JX wants to become a large con that people travel to or consider staying at the hotels overnight due to events, they should consider either A) Teaming up with a hotel closer to the location to offer discounted room rates or B) Provide shuttle service to/from the con.

As it stands this year, the official hotel is a nice 22 minute walk from the convention center. For someone who is flying in, this is not convenient.
Giolon
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 4:57 am Reply with quote
Cutiebunny wrote:
If JX wants to become a large con that people travel to or consider staying at the hotels overnight due to events, they should consider either A) Teaming up with a hotel closer to the location to offer discounted room rates or B) Provide shuttle service to/from the con.

As it stands this year, the official hotel is a nice 22 minute walk from the convention center. For someone who is flying in, this is not convenient.

FWIW, there literally are no hotels close to the location they chose. Well, there's the Firestone Lodge, but it's always been a kind of sketchy looking place. I used to work a couple blocks away from there. It's where they hold the county fair and we'd walk over during our lunch break.

I'm debating whether or not to go check it out. It's so close to me, the cost of attending is extremely low. I'm still just a little wary of what I've read about last year, and this article didn't really convince me that they've got their act together.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2