• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ARGEVOLLEN (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 3:59 am Reply with quote
Regarding Jamie... am I the only one who thinks she's been lying about her position the entire time? Yes, she's related to the project, but based on her actions and comments, I'd guess that she wasn't part of the main design team. The *other* guy who was in the truck with her (and was killed) probably was, however.

And yes, it's possible that you're right, Gina, and this is a feature limited to the prototype for the reason you stated. I guess we'll have to see, but that's at least a vaguely plausible explanation.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 4:35 am Reply with quote
I dunno...she still has to start the damn thing up every time. She doesn't seem to know enough about its details to have been a designer, but clearly she's got some sort of status in the company.

Basically, if they give us a different explanation, yay, but I just make stuff up as I go so I don't have to dwell on it until it's over with and turns out to be a huge plot hole or something. Smile
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:43 am Reply with quote
@ Gina - the problem with your anti-piracy theory is that then it would have made more sense to imprint a trusted pilot and keep that pilot under lock and key while the unit was being transported. That would have ensured that even if the transport was hijacked or fell into enemy hands, nobody else would be able to use it.

However, I agree that this design feature is probably limited to the proto-type or that there is some other workaround for production models.
phia_one

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:10 am Reply with quote
I think this series has potential, but the MC is pretty annoying. Hopefully someone chews him out.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 4:26 pm Reply with quote
@ Blood- You're right, and I'm certainly not married to the explanation. It's just a mental cloak I laid down to get across the puddle until they build me a bridge. Smile
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 5:54 pm Reply with quote
I really hate the the hotheaded impulsive subordinate who does not follow orders, going all the way back to Star Blazers.

Just once I wish, everyone dies and roll credits in episode 3. The end.

I thought it came pretty close to portraying the the results of stupidity in Attack on Titan, really not from disobeying orders, but just forgetting all your training in a fit of bloodlust. Everyone with you dies.

As much as the incompetent senior officer comes up, nothing in this series has indicated that that the commanding officer is worth defying.

Hopefully now that there is some downtime in the story, MC is out of prison and can show he can work in a command structure.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:51 pm Reply with quote
Ep 04, vague backstory central, it seem the commander of the unit has a parallel checkered past as our pilot lead, and Jamie just got taken hostage by her own company and won't be leaving the unit any time soon.

The series continues to be par for its course, it isn't bad but it certainly isn't great, I can understand if other viewers drop this or have already dropped this.
RestLessone

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:03 pm Reply with quote
Argevollen, your budget is showing...

Wasn't expecting the different opening credits, but they seem to imply a spoiler[future disagreement between the captain and our lead.]

I think 04 was an improvement, despite the poor animation and still being mediocre. Nice that Tokimune's comrades spoiler[gave him crap about his stupid risks. That the captain considered having him shot was a bit dark, though I guess it doesn't matter because they're on the same wavelength.] I at least hope Tokimune will begin to think before he acts.

Allusions to spoiler[dead siblings], hooray! I was just pondering whether or not spoiler[Tokimune would be an orphan]. I'm going to assume yes. (Also, the BD spoiler[is going to have uncensored nipples and such?] I didn't actually think this would be a series to make that leap, haha.)
Merida

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:22 am Reply with quote
RestLessone wrote:

Wasn't expecting the different opening credits, but they seem to imply a spoiler[future disagreement between the captain and our lead.]

They made it pretty obvious that spoiler[the stone-faced commander seems to be somehow involved in the death of the MC's sister.] I sense drama in the not-so-distant furture...and probably spoiler[romance] with Jamie. Sometimes predictable shows can be quite relaxing and who knows, it might even surprise me in the end. I wouldn't bet any money on it, though...Wink
RestLessone

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:49 am Reply with quote
Merida wrote:
RestLessone wrote:

They made it pretty obvious that spoiler[the stone-faced commander seems to be somehow involved in the death of the MC's sister.] I sense drama in the not-so-distant furture...and probably spoiler[romance] with Jamie. Sometimes predictable shows can be quite relaxing and who knows, it might even surprise me in the end. I wouldn't bet any money on it, though...Wink

Both are my guesses, too. spoiler[Romance] with Jamie seems obligatory. I'm finding myself enjoying Argevollen, partially because I can so easily pick out the plot points. ("Really? We're doing this again?") And I'm sort of hoping for a surprise down the line, but don't want to get my hopes up.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:18 am Reply with quote
Episode 4

Why is that one guy spoiler[punching him]? Oh, he was spoiler[angry about disobeying orders and putting everyone at risk. Well he should go ahead]. At the very least there was some acknowledgment of the gravity of his actions. And the only reasoning I can pick up of why the machine has such stupid security is that it is a prototype, I can see keeping him on, but that should mean it would not need to be used in combat. Use it in research, and get a contract quickly to make some for actual combat, his record has not exactly been good, and she spoiler[seems to have some PTSD.]
One-Eye

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:56 pm Reply with quote
Ep. 4

Well, from the first episode I was saying he should maybe taken out back and shot. At least there was finally some response to his actions. The MC was coming off as full of himself since obviously what he felt was more important than the lives of his comrades or the orders of his commander. What I was not expecting was for him to basically get a prize for his bad behavior (spoiler[I feel like you do so i'm putting this powerful mech in your hands]). I mean no punishment? At least make him clean the latrines with a toothbrush! Ah, oh well anime. I'll give it one more eppie if it doesn't pull something interesting I'll be hitting the eject button.
RestLessone

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:53 pm Reply with quote
One-Eye wrote:
Ep. 4
What I was not expecting was for him to basically get a prize for his bad behavior (spoiler[I feel like you do so i'm putting this powerful mech in your hands]). I mean no punishment? At least make him clean the latrines with a toothbrush! Ah, oh well anime. I'll give it one more eppie if it doesn't pull something interesting I'll be hitting the eject button.

spoiler[I think he's letting him have it mostly because he's the only one capable of piloting it.] (What a coincidence...) Speaking of which, the captain's speech irked me a bit. It starts off well enough, him coming out and saying that Tokimune's actions were wrong and deserved punishment. However, he ends it on the note that spoiler[a) he and Tokimune have the same mindset, and b) his actions as an individual were not wrong.] I don't have a problem with this working its way into the conversation, but he's really giving mixed messages here with its sequence. Basically, spoiler["What you did was against my orders and wrong according to the military, but I'm like that too and you didn't really do anything wrong and it might save our whole organization."] Does this mean he gets a free pass every time he does something hotheaded for the sake of saving a comrade? Jeez.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 1:32 pm Reply with quote
RestLessone wrote:
Speaking of which, the captain's speech irked me a bit. It starts off well enough, him coming out and saying that Tokimune's actions were wrong and deserved punishment. However....Does this mean he gets a free pass every time he does something hotheaded for the sake of saving a comrade? Jeez.

Yep, that's what I'm talking about. It just undermines any kind of command structure or any kind of organization, so its totally credible, right? Just do what you want if it feels right/good to you. Ignore your orders, who needs plans or organization or that discipline thing? What would have been interesting is if the MC pulled one of his stunts and some people got hurt or killed and he had to live with it. But nah, doubt the show has the guts to do that.

Anyways, that whole scene irked me too and one of the reasons I'm lukewarm on continuing this show.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 2:21 pm Reply with quote
Well, if he hadn't done what he did, some people would have gotten hurt and killed, and he would have had to live with it, so... Is letting people die in front of you when you could have saved them easier to live with if you were just following orders?

As I see it, the only way for it to have any different impact on him is if his failing to follow orders not only gets the ones he was trying to save killed but also most of his platoon.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 12