• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Multiple Choice

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:24 am Reply with quote
Aylinn wrote:
Adorable? It depends, he reminded me about devoid of personality moe-blobs and I found him similarly uninteresting.

Are you speaking from only having watched the anime?

Because like I and few others have already stated, the manga is way better.
Taskforce

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:20 am Reply with quote
A couple corrections to the Date-a-Live review. One was brought up previously.

Quote:
The Spirit-containing efforts are overseen by an organization called AST (the Anti-Spirit Team), who aside from combating these mysterious beings via "Combat Realizer unit" super suits, utilize the help of VN experts to help Shidō woo the ladies.

You've essentially combined two separate entities with this statement. AST is a group who fights spirits and tries to kill/destroy them. The organization that is supporting Shido is Rototaskr. Rototaskr is an entirely separate organization to the AST and they don't particularly like the others way of handling things.

Quote:
As the logic in the series likely goes, because the Spirits aren't real girls, they don't understand the difference between right and wrong. (Not that the fictional characters have any say in the matter.) In one episode, Shidō tells one of the girls he'd prefer her in a school swimsuit wearing dog ears and a tail, and she surprises him by donning one immediately. In the next scene, she uses his belt as a collar, and starts crawling on all fours, in public.

When you're trying to make a point about how the spirits don't know any better, the first example you give probably shouldn't be about Origami. Smile Origami isn't a spirit, she works for the AST. I know that the overall point is how the fanservice is handled, but your statement kind of falls apart.

Sorry, I'm not trying to be anal about these but in both cases it is giving impressions you might not have intended.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:04 pm Reply with quote
Problem Children was one of the best shows that came out that season. It was so much better than you would expect from a show like that. Not only was it fun and lighthearted, and the characters were all very interesting people I wanted to learn more about, but there was also so much clever parody in the show. The pet cat of the "animal" girl was hilarious. Almost nothing was wasted in that show, as they maximized what little time they had in it's short run. I just wish it could have been longer, but it's certainly not the first time an anime with great potential got cut short.
Aylinn

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:54 pm Reply with quote
GokuMew2 wrote:
Aylinn wrote:
Adorable? It depends, he reminded me about devoid of personality moe-blobs and I found him similarly uninteresting.

Are you speaking from only having watched the anime?

Because like I and few others have already stated, the manga is way better.

I was writing about the anime, however I have read few manga chapters and didn't find his character to be more compelling. It didn't encourage me to stick with it. Besides, as far as his characterization in anime is concerned, it doesn't matter if the manga is better.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:57 pm Reply with quote
Aylinn wrote:
I was writing about the anime, however I have read few manga chapters and didn't find his character to be more compelling. It didn't encourage me to stick with it. Besides, as far as his characterization in anime is concerned, it doesn't matter if the manga is better.

Well a few chapters isn't going to tell you much about him.

What I wrote was in relation to the manga, and you're taking it from an anime standpoint so yes, in this case it does matter, I think. But anyway~
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:38 am Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
ANN_Bamboo wrote:
Right, but the intent doesn't make it not awkward.

Absolutely right. I'm just saying that the character, Shido, isn't creepy in the show.

I agree with this. Shido is not creepy... it's the writing that creates creepy situations.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:51 am Reply with quote
Taskforce wrote:
Quote:
The Spirit-containing efforts are overseen by an organization called AST (the Anti-Spirit Team), who aside from combating these mysterious beings via "Combat Realizer unit" super suits, utilize the help of VN experts to help Shidō woo the ladies.

You've essentially combined two separate entities with this statement. AST is a group who fights spirits and tries to kill/destroy them. The organization that is supporting Shido is Rototaskr. Rototaskr is an entirely separate organization to the AST and they don't particularly like the others way of handling things.

No, you're all correct. This is a screw-up on my part from an earlier draft that I changed after I re-read my notes and realized something I wrote didn't make sense. My confusion came from the comments I had written about the vice-commander, and didn't think twice before typing. The paragraph was originally corrected to separate the last sentence and clarify Ratatoskr, but the changes were not saved. It is my fault for not re-reading the column.

I apologize for not addressing this earlier; I have been in various airports for the last 24 hours or so and did not have a chance to edit the page. I appreciate the comments; I would not have gone over it again without them. However, my opinions regarding the series hold.

Re: the fanservice paragraph, you are all being defensive over something I did not say. The paragraph is a warning for people who are uncomfortable seeing female characters in demeaning situations (hence "polarizing"). That's what stated, and that's exactly what the examples are illustrating. I listed examples of fanservice situations that might make people uncomfortable. I think it is a fair warning to make. It is not my intention to dupe anyone into watching a show that they may find uncomfortable to watch. The paragraph may have been unclearly worded; I do not distinguish between Spirit and non-Spirit, merely awkward situations that may upset some viewers.

I think it's important to realize that characters don't "know" anything, and can't "do" anything of their own free will. Characters do not have free will--neither male nor female. What they learn from their environments, how they perceive social cues, what they regard as right and wrong-- these are not decided by the characters. These are decided by the people who write them.

The converse of. "if certain scenes make you uncomfortable, don't watch it" is, "if these scenes do NOT make you uncomfortable, then please proceed."

Last edited by ANN_Bamboo on Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:10 am; edited 1 time in total
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:08 am Reply with quote
TheAncientOne wrote:
That said, "or modeling lingerie for him (she didn't know any better)" does make me suspicious that might be the case. Anyone else here believe Kurumi didn't know exactly what she was doing in that scene?

"didn't know any better" refers to societal perceptions. There are bystanders in those scenes; their reaction cannot be discounted.
Morning Blue

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:33 am Reply with quote
Is it okay to admit that I clicked on the article to see a bigger picture of Bamboo's dog (the pic is adorable, by the way)?
Ali07

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:45 am Reply with quote
TheFullmetalOne wrote:
The second season of Date a Live is just a set up for some of the more surprising plot twists that are in the Light Novels yet to be adapted spoiler[particularly in regard to the event that actually caused Origami to hate Spirits in the first place, which was a shock to everybody when that volume was released]. So in that vein, the second season can be forgiven for being the "watered down harem story" it was. So don't give up on it just yet, the main story itself has yet to reach it's true climax.

At this point in time, not knowing what we'll be getting with the movie or if we'll be seeing a season 3, I don't think it is something that falls into the "let it slide" category.

I don't think we're talking about a property, in anime form, that is guaranteed to have sequels. Along with there being no official English release of the novels, so many won't know what the pay off is, it does seem like a waste of 12 episodes.

If we do get a 3rd or 4th season that does get to the true climax of the series, then things will look slightly better in retrospect.

As things stand, I'd say season 1 is far and away the better of the 2 Date A Live seasons. Season 2 will remain to feel like a bit of a waste, especially since there were only 2 "conquests" and it didn't feel like much of the overall story moved forward.
Ali07

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:22 pm Reply with quote
Guess we'll just have to wait until the movie is released when it comes to knowing if more will be adapted. I hope that the movie is good and that we get a 3rd season.

And, since we don't know what the movie will be, maybe it'll have something in it to make it seem like the payoff for, what I thought, was a very mediocre 2nd season after a 1st season that was enjoyable.
jr240483

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:27 am Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
You know, in Date A Live, that scene with the swimsuit and dog ears was SUPPOSED to be super awkward and creepy. Shido was trying to her Origami to hate him by acting like the biggest scumbag possible.

unfortunately he's too straight arrow to ever pull that off. if he wasnt pointers on being a prick , he should take advice from the male protagonist from libarells of iron or makoto from school days. On second though he shouldnt go his route cause he would then end up having his head not attached to his body.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:48 pm Reply with quote
Karneval: what a tremendous, fluffy waste of time.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
kasarrah

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:00 am Reply with quote
" because the Spirits aren't real girls, they don't understand the difference between right and wrong. (Not that the fictional characters have any say in the matter.) In one episode, Shidō tells one of the girls he'd prefer her in a school swimsuit wearing dog ears and a tail, and she surprises him by donning one immediately. In the next scene, she uses his belt as a collar, and starts crawling on all fours, in public."

She was a human, not a spirit.
fullmetalgirl21

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 2:28 am Reply with quote
Your dog is completely adorable! Mine does the same thing, except I've only given her stuffed Carebears for a couple years now so it's more funny/disturbing when she shoves her whole head inside...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3