• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Terra Formars Promo Video Introduces OVA's Story

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:39 am Reply with quote
Well, I like that cast list but my thoughts for the upcoming adaptation is kinda mixed so far. I'm not a big fan of the manga and hopefully, I hope they won't censor too much from this show.

Pretty good premise though.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
wohdin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 1:06 pm Reply with quote
The whole premise behind this series is just so absurd, I can't help but be at least a little intrigued by it. The visual style, though, reminds me far too much of those awful Marvel anime adaptations that I just don't know how it's gonna play out with the Japanese crowd.
spinja446

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 2:12 pm Reply with quote
This looks incredibly stupid. Reminds me of Guillermo del Toro's Mimic and Starship Troopers.
Gal3riel

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 2:19 pm Reply with quote
nice
Divineking

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 2:52 pm Reply with quote
wohdin wrote:
The whole premise behind this series is just so absurd, I can't help but be at least a little intrigued by it. The visual style, though, reminds me far too much of those awful Marvel anime adaptations that I just don't know how it's gonna play out with the Japanese crowd.

Considering how well the manga sells there, I imagine just fine
kewldude

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 2:58 pm Reply with quote
As a reader of the manga and one who is up to date with the story, I must say that this is one freakin amazing show/story. All the characters are interesting, and quite frankly badass.

Just take a look at the manga n u'll see what I'm talking about.

Rest assured, you won't be disappointed Very Happy
u6064vision

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 3:27 pm Reply with quote
kewldude wrote:
As a reader of the manga and one who is up to date with the story, I must say that this is one freakin amazing show/story. All the characters are interesting, and quite frankly badass.

Just take a look at the manga n u'll see what I'm talking about.

Rest assured, you won't be disappointed Very Happy

I read a lot of the Manga and while the beginning was exciting and enough to hold my interest for a short time, it dipped real quick and I felt 60% more dumber after I kept reading more. It's not amazing and people seem to be making it "their job" ramping and hyping this up to be the next "big thing".

I know we all know what's amazing and bad these days but this just seems forced. I'm not surprised it's been a steady sensation in Japan but for me personally it's ridiculous and really is one of those "could've been" hits. Like I said the beginning was really exciting but then further away from that I didn't get it or even cared anymore.
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 3:39 pm Reply with quote
I tired volume 1 of this the other day.

And it sure wasn't what I was expecting. In a good way. The way it never pandered to the audience was really kind of fresh.

I mean, it often set up these bug human vs roach fights, and then just... ended the fight in a single panel.

And it was AWESOME.

EDIT: I mean, it spent a good chunk of the first chapter setting up this semi-complex backstory between two characters.spoiler[ And then one of those characters is the first to die horribly. Their character arc unresolved] That takes some BALLS.
OrbitoBrekken

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 3:42 pm Reply with quote
looks epic. Ill definitely be noting this down. I love Terra Formars.
spinja446

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 3:49 pm Reply with quote
Mr Adventure wrote:
EDIT: I mean, it spent a good chunk of the first chapter setting up this semi-complex backstory between two characters.spoiler[ And then one of those characters is the first to die horribly. Their character arc unresolved] That takes some BALLS.

Even though I haven't read any of Terra Formars yet and if that is any indication on what I should expect from this series then it sounds a lot like Gantz. If the shock value is anything like Berserk and Gantz levels then I'll check this out for sure but these Roach people and the premise seems a little goofy and off the wall for my tastes.
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 5:13 pm Reply with quote
It's definitely in that Berserk/Attack on Titan mold. But don't get me wrong, it's goofy and off the wall as all get out.

But for me that's a plus. Goofy premise, but played straight.
KH91

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 5:34 pm Reply with quote
RIKIYA!!!!!
The_way67

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 7:49 pm Reply with quote
That looks epic. Just so long as the lead male character isn't a whiny b!tch like eren in AOT.
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:12 am Reply with quote
wohdin wrote:

I'd rather take a Marvel adaptation over this. I think it feels too serious for the visuals they're trying to make us accept. I'd always heard of the manga, but read zero about it. Now that I'm looking at it, I might not like it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1