• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - I Am Not At SDCC

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
omiya

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:44 am Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
omiya wrote:
Maybe ANN could do an occasional series of columns on music of anime?

We've repeatedly tried various flavors of music columns, articles and interviews over the years, and nobody reads them, so we've pretty much abandoned the idea at this point. One of those things where we wanted to do it, and enough people told us they wanted it, but once we actually do it, nobody comes and reads. Ah well...

Thanks for replying. I sort of gathered that by how few people respond to music of anime coming up in the talk-backs.

Is there an easy way to search for old music columns on the site?
toyNN

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:58 am Reply with quote
Xagor wrote:
I was at the Lantis 15th anniversary Matsuri this weekend, and whilst those kinds of events aren't really my kind of thing (and oh god the heat!) it was still enjoyable.

yeah the heat would be too much for me at these summer festivals but they all sound like amazing events. Minori Chihara has her Summer Dream 2 concerts next weekend outside of tokyo at Kawaguchiko - I sure it will be hot at that those too.

In terms of anisongs I wonder which one would be considered to have the most popularity or recognition outside of anime fans, ie. with the general public in Japan. The OP for Attack on Titan - Jiyu e no Shingeki by Linked Horizon sold the most I've ever seen but I wonder if its popular outside of fans of the anime. Randomly thinking about this after hearing A Cruel Angel's Thesis (Zankoku na Tenshi no Thesis) sung on karaoke/variety show UTAGE. That OP for Evangelion seems to be one of the most well known and popular anime songs still.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:20 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Voice actor commentary tracks can be oh so dire, especially since, most of the time, they're not talking at all about what you're watching at the moment. And English dub VA commentaries especially have nothing to say, because half the time the VAs make it clear they've never even seen the finished product. Funimation still lists them as "extras".

Then again, on the Japanese side, you have stuff like the Conqueror of Shamballa commentary where everybody is obviously eating during it, and Romi Paku talks about how much she feels bad for the Germans leading up to WWII. Crunch crunch.

I think that maybe some dub VAs see the finished product on some of their shows. And for the Japanese VAs, maybe some of them don't see the finished product on some of their shows.
omiya

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 1:00 pm Reply with quote
toyNN wrote:

Minori Chihara has her Summer Dream 2 concerts next weekend outside of tokyo at Kawaguchiko - I sure it will be hot at that those too.

Well, more like 30 C - Kawaguchiko Stellar Theater is close to 860 metres altitude (over 2800 feet) so one of the cooler places in summer.

Quote:

In terms of anisongs I wonder which one would be considered to have the most popularity or recognition outside of anime fans, ie. with the general public in Japan. The OP for Attack on Titan - Jiyu e no Shingeki by Linked Horizon sold the most I've ever seen but I wonder if its popular outside of fans of the anime. Randomly thinking about this after hearing A Cruel Angel's Thesis (Zankoku na Tenshi no Thesis) sung on karaoke/variety show UTAGE. That OP for Evangelion seems to be one of the most well known and popular anime songs still.

Agreed, ANN ran an article about how prominently Cruel Angel's Thesis ranks in song royalities, but I couldn't find it.

I've also heard the Galaxy Express 999 song used in advertising in Japan.

Also included might be the Space Battleship Yamato theme by Isao Sasaki, and Cha-La Head-cha-la by Hironobu Kageyama (over 9 million copies sold).
eyeresist

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:45 am Reply with quote
Commentaries:

Dub commentaries are all horrible vacuous jabbering. The only exception I can think of is Boogiepop Phantom, but even there you have to be sure to take their ideas about the "meaning" of the series with a grain of salt.

I can think of two more Japanese commentaries with Western releases off-hand:
Black Blood Brothers had subtitled commentary for every episode. It's not a landmark show, but I really appreciated the extra value added by including all the commentaries, which were pretty entertaining and occasionally informative.
World of Narue included the Japanese commentaries - except for the last DVD! That really disappointed me, as I wanted to know what they'd say about the end of the show.

If the Japanese commentary includes voice actors, the female ones are generally much more entertaining than the male ones, perhaps because they've been trained in amusing banter as part of the idol system. You can also hear this in the promotional "radio shows" sometimes included as DVD extras (the best thing about Burst Angel was the radio shows).
toyNN

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:04 pm Reply with quote
omiya wrote:

Well, more like 30 C - Kawaguchiko Stellar Theater is close to 860 metres altitude (over 2800 feet) so one of the cooler places in summer.

Agreed, ANN ran an article about how prominently Cruel Angel's Thesis ranks in song royalities, but I couldn't find it.

I've also heard the Galaxy Express 999 song used in advertising in Japan.

Also included might be the Space Battleship Yamato theme by Isao Sasaki, and Cha-La Head-cha-la by Hironobu Kageyama (over 9 million copies sold).

Great to know about Kawaguchiko - I might survive that venue in August. And all the current anisong artists have a long way to go to catch some of those classics - didn't know Cha-la Head cha-la had sold so much!
eyeresist

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:09 pm Reply with quote
omiya wrote:
Also included might be the Space Battleship Yamato theme by Isao Sasaki

If I could, I would change our national anthem to this. It would be so much cooler. "OURR STARRRR BLAZZEEERRRRSSSS!!!" *fist in air*
omiya

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:41 pm Reply with quote
toyNN wrote:

Great to know about Kawaguchiko - I might survive that venue in August. And all the current anisong artists have a long way to go to catch some of those classics - didn't know Cha-la Head cha-la had sold so much!

Although Saitama Super Arena is warm for Animelo Summer Live at the end of August, it isn't stifling, and there is a huge shady plaza outside with a great atmosphere before the show.

See http://www.asla.org/awards/2004/04winners/entry352.html

Hope that you can get to such an event some day.
mdo7

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:47 pm Reply with quote
omiya wrote:

Thanks for replying. I sort of gathered that by how few people respond to music of anime coming up in the talk-backs.

Well despite having a big anime fanbase, J-music doesn't get a lot of attention these day, it's sad and I can see how fans of J-music are not as passionate or ambitious like K-pop fans, but I'm not going to discuss it more at length.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DavetheUsher

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:06 am Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
Well despite having a big anime fanbase, J-music doesn't get a lot of attention these day, it's sad and I can see how fans of J-music are not as passionate or ambitious like K-pop fans, but I'm not going to discuss it more at length.

You are literally the only person here who talks about K-Pop. Seems kinda a good thing that J-pop fans aren't all like you who pop into every topic to wave the big ol flag, man.
mdo7

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:18 am Reply with quote
DavetheUsher wrote:
mdo7 wrote:

You are literally the only person here who talks about K-Pop. Seems kinda a good thing that J-pop fans aren't all like you who pop into every topic to wave the big ol flag, man.

I'm not going to go off topic and discuss with you over this, if you want to talk about it, do it over the PM.

EDIT: Statement retracted, on second thought, I'm not going to waste time talking over this.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
omiya

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:11 am Reply with quote
I wasn't able to access the old Hai Fidelity columns but could see their titles.

What they seemed to lack was coverage of people who were both notable singers and and voice actors/actresses.

If anyone can provide me with direct links to those columns it would be appreciated!
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:31 am Reply with quote
@omiya Not exactly sure what you mean?

If you search on ANN main search, or on Google, by typing Hai Fidelity, the very first result in both is an ANN index page over the various Hai Fidelity articles.
As for the links listed in it, all seem to work for me.
omiya

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:06 am Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:
@omiya Not exactly sure what you mean?

If you search on ANN main search, or on Google, by typing Hai Fidelity, the very first result in both is an ANN index page over the various Hai Fidelity articles.
As for the links listed in it, all seem to work for me.

I get the listing at:

animenewsnetwork.com/hai-fidelity/

but not working links.
Touma

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:10 am Reply with quote
Moved to "Bugs" forum.

Last edited by Touma on Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:45 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6