• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Tokyo ESP (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Agent355

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:58 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
danilo07 wrote:
The Amazing Spider-Man movies didn't include that line, so if Hollywood writers want to push away from that iconic line than please anime use it when you want to.

They're more than happy to.

Is that a screencap from Disc Wars?
I agree with Leatherhead333, the tonal shift and silliness in ep 2 was especially jarring after the intense action in ep 1. The spoiler[bank robbery was full of holes, which would be fine in a parody or kiddie superhero show, but felt out of place here. What bothered me the most, though, was that crow kid never really explained how he knew Rinka's name or her powers. Where did he come from, anyway? If he weren't so goofy, he'd creep me out. In fact, he could be a creepy guy pretending to be goofy.]
This show is hanging on a thread for me. The animation in ep 2 wasn't much to look at, either.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:16 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
Is that a screencap from Disc Wars?

Yep.

Oh, and why is everyone calling it a bank robbery? That was clearly a museum.
Jacquipuff

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:49 pm Reply with quote
The tonal shift between episodes was a bit jarring, but it didn't really bother me, since it was showing two completely different points in time. If the silliness of episode 2 was chronologically directly after the seriousness of episode 1, then yeah, that would be kinda bad, but what they're going for here is trying to get us to wonder "what could have happened to get us from what we see in episode 2 to what we see in episode 1?"

Personally, I really liked this episode. I've always been fond of stories where everyone gains a different power (when I was about ten I even tried to write such a story, but I made too many main characters and eventually ran out of powers to give them all). I wonder what Rinka's father will do once he realizes that, yes, he really does have a superpower. And what the origin of the float-y fish things is.

Also, there's a penguin. I love penguins.
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:32 am Reply with quote
Episode 3:
Well, the pacing picked up at the end there. Pretty decent episode overall although it felt a bit fast. spoiler[Seems like Rinka's abilities to phase through others is limited when it comes to humans.]

Also, I wonder what other espers abilities there are in the series. Nice to see spoiler[Peggy] back though. I think as the mascot, he really is an eyecatcher.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:48 pm Reply with quote
spoiler[Rinka & Azuma] make a good team.
spoiler[Azuma] really needs to be more careful.
Even his powers have limits.
Bits and pieces of spoiler[his past] looked interesting.
Just as they met spoiler[Murasaki things got really complicated.]
Seems like everything went downhill from there.
Those fish are a mystery still..
spoiler[Wonder what powers is Murasaki going to get.
Now she will get a chance to fight back.
That is what she wanted so badly after all.]

Good episode.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:51 pm Reply with quote
Obligatory THIS. IS. TOKYO!!!

Nice reversal on the spoiler["knock some one out and leave them behind"] trope.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:55 pm Reply with quote
That reversal toward the end between Rinka and her dad was just pure awesomeness. I never saw it coming. I loved the whole feel of this episode - the action and emotional aspects seemed perfectly in sync. This show just shot up toward the top of my must watch list.
everydaygamer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:34 pm Reply with quote
So... those guys were spoiler[The GhostBusters] right? I'm not just seeing things?
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 12:41 am Reply with quote
Episode 3

Something strange, in the neighbourhood. Who ya gonna call? spoiler[Flying penguin catchers]! In one look at two of them I was kind of surprised, they spoiler[looked just like the Ghostbusters characters]. In terms of look alikes to American media, the dad seems very Wolverine like, that spoiler[fire guy had a bit of an Ironman thing going], the yakuza spoiler[father is a bit like Leonidas], and invisibility girl has a bit of a Black Widow look.

Pacing was fast this episode, I was kept interested but it did not feel like there was much room to breath. Maybe like we are skipping various parts that are usually just fluff.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:29 am Reply with quote
Much stronger episode this time around. Not that I hated episode 2. It was okay. It was pretty light a fluffy though. This felt a whole lot more in line with the opening episode. Mind you, like the first episode, it was a bit rough around the edges. Pacing and general execution could definitely be tightened up. But the underlying ideas at play seem solid. I like that crow guy fancies himself a hero of justice but also spoiler[doesn't hesitate to beat dudes heads in with a bat when the situation calls for it.]

everydaygamer wrote:
So... those guys were spoiler[The GhostBusters] right? I'm not just seeing things?

You are absolutely NOT just seeing things.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:22 am Reply with quote
Quote:
So... those guys were

Yeah, the mangaka loves making completely inexplicable cameos. Vaisaga picked up on the other one in the episode. Wink

Anyways, I'm liking where the series is at now. I guess they added her hair changing color because they found it too preposterous that she wouldn't be immediately outed. They also toned down her vile classmate trio for some reason, both visually and narratively, and toned down exactly how poor she is. The pacing is a bit awkward, they have trouble stretching and squashing individual chapters to fit an episode length, but I'm ok with that, at least they don't pad it out with unnecessary shots.
Jacquipuff

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:01 pm Reply with quote
Good episode. Didn't expect Murasaki spoiler[to be from a yakuza family], and Azuma seems like a much more interesting character than I initially expected. spoiler[Just where the hell did he grow up?]

I'm not too fond of the blank white eyes thing Rinka's dad has going on...every time they show a close-up of his face, I get a bit creeped out. I do like him as a character, though.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:28 am Reply with quote
I somehow totally missed the cameos. Can anyone elaborate on when during the episode they were?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:36 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
I somehow totally missed the cameos. Can anyone elaborate on when during the episode they were?

On the bridge when guys are trying to get the penguin.

In the house meeting the father.

Before going into rescue.
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:21 am Reply with quote
Episode 3:

Pacing is horrible. Characterization is atrocious. Logic is dumb.
The weird cameos somehow make it all worth it.

It's nice that they treated the robbery situation logically. I'll give them that. But how long were those spoiler[Yakuza guys standing in that hallway waiting for the read head to get up?] Gotta love how spoiler[Azuma just randomly starts talking about his dark past] too.

I'd also like to know why did spoiler[Rinka think she was too cocky?] In fact WHEN were we given any indication she was spoiler[cocky over her power?] She seemed really passive about becoming a hero the entire episode. Where did this spoiler[arbitrary cockiness come from?] I'm just going to assume that's more skipped material?

And as I thought the spoiler[whole goldfish thing is going to be a horrible plot device that will turn around the situation without any real effort of the characters.] spoiler[Strongly wish for power? You got it!]
Really not sure how they would sell it though sincespoiler[ the goldfish choose people on their own.]

While spoiler[Rinka knocking out Wolverine] was kind of cool the animation didn't really followup properly. It didn't look like she even spoiler[hit him that hard and how is a muscle head just suddenly going to get knocked out by getting kneed in the freaking nose?] I don't think that's how it works but whatever. Probably wasn't a good idea tospoiler[ knock out one of your strongest allies while you can barely walk] but who cares it was cool!

Guessing from the OP the red headed girl is probably going to get spoiler[redeemed which of course I'll hate.] Honestly if the series was more easy going I'd probably ignore most of this stuff but it's bugging me how serious it's trying to take everything when it makes so many blatant ripoffs and parodies of X-men/marvel/etc. Atmosphere doesn't really seem properly set.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 4 of 10