• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Underground/Art/Alternative Manga Discussion Thread

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Highway Star

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:40 pm Reply with quote
Speaking of Tezuka, it's Kickstarter time again!
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/digitalmanga/publish-osamu-tezukas-shonen-captain-ken-vol-1-and?ref=category

Let's try to get the word out, I missed out on the previous three projects and would hate for the same to happen to other Tezuka fans!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
mingus

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 1:36 pm Reply with quote
this is a great thread, glad i stumbled upon it.
i was wondering if someone could give me some recommendations - authors or mangas that have not been translated into english, but are good. i mostly know what's available in english (can't read french, unfortunately).

my favorite mangas are Gogo monster by Matsumoto and Travel by Yokoyama. i also liked Zettai anzen kamisori by Takano fumiko, Yoshiharu tsuge, Keizo miyanishi(i like his art; stories are a bit silly), Dr.Inugami by Maruo, some works of Kazuichi hanawa, Nijigahara holograph was very good, Hayashi seiichi...

i'm not into otaku stuff, fan service and gore for gore's sake.

is there something along the lines of Charles burns' 'Black hole' in japan?

thank you!
jimpac

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:55 am Reply with quote
mingus wrote:
is there something along the lines of Charles burns' 'Black hole' in japan?

Can't think of anything of the top of my head but maybe you'd like Soil by Atsushi Kaneko?

In other news... Has everyone seen that London, UK small press publisher Breakdown Press have teamed up with Ryan Holmberg to release Flowering Harbour by Seiichi Hayashi? Sounds like they're planning to release some other alt-manga after this as well. Not sure if they'll stick to Hayashi works or expand to include other authors but it seems that Holmberg will be editing the series which is a good sign. More info at the Breakdown Press blog: http://www.breakdownpress.com/home/2014/6/19/flowering-harbour-by-seiichi-hayashi

Also, if you're based in London, or nearby, there'll be two events next week to mark the release. Both will be attended by Hayashi and Holmberg. The first is at the Japan Foundation and the second is at Gosh! Comics in Soho. Info is included in the blog post above. I'm going to both and can't wait! I think this is definitely good news for alt manga fans!
mingus

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:17 pm Reply with quote
jimpac wrote:

Can't think of anything of the top of my head but maybe you'd like Soil by Atsushi Kaneko?

Thanks, will give it a try. Haven't heard of that one before.
GSam

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 11:57 pm Reply with quote
racebit wrote:

BTW can anyone point to other places discussing underground manga. This thread is a little dead lately...

Nowhere consistently.

Crunchyroll seems to now offer three manga from Takao Saito, the guy who did Golgo 13. They seem to have reappropriated them from Jmanga. Shadowman was nothing special, kind of within the norms of a manga from 1967, especially as he started out. The Hotel Detective was actually pretty cool. Got the whole Golgo vibe. The art is much more distinguished. Probably going to read the last one sometime soon.

Oh and Phoenix is now entirely available digitally. Being OOP made them insanely expensive. So that's good.
jimpac

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:34 am Reply with quote
Bit more news on upcoming alt-manga releases:

At the Seiichi Hayashi/Ryan Holmberg event at the Japan Foundation London it was announced that Breakdown Press will be releasing a book of Sasaki Maki works in January 2015. They said that it would be a book length collection edited and translated by Ryan Holmberg unlike the just released Flowering Harbour which is a 40 page risographed booklet. I picked it up last night and must say that it is absolutely beautifully presented and well worth getting even though it is a little bit pricey.

Breakdown Press also have plans to continue releasing these smaller comic-book sized works but no authors/titles seem to have been decided on as yet.

Also, can't remember if it's been mentioned here but another small press company, Retrofit Comics, are going to be releasing an Akino Kondoh comic sometime later this year. I think it's good that these smaller companies are getting involved in publishing alt-manga as I think it may broaden the audience for such works and result in more being published. It also shows willingness on the side of Japanese artists to have works put out by smaller companies.

Finally, the Tadao Tsuge book is now listed for pre-order on Amazon. Coming out in February 2015, so less time to wait than expected: http://www.amazon.com/Trash-Market-Tadao-Tsuge/dp/1770461744/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1404289994&sr=8-1&keywords=tadao+tsuge
GSam

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:40 am Reply with quote
jimpac wrote:

Finally, the Tadao Tsuge book is now listed for pre-order on Amazon. Coming out in February 2015, so less time to wait than expected: http://www.amazon.com/Trash-Market-Tadao-Tsuge/dp/1770461744/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1404289994&sr=8-1&keywords=tadao+tsuge

I didn't realize D&Q were releasing Shigeru Mizuki's Hitler as well. Very keen on that.
racebit

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:20 am Reply with quote
jimpac wrote:
Bit more news on upcoming alt-manga releases:

At the Seiichi Hayashi/Ryan Holmberg event at the Japan Foundation London it was announced that Breakdown Press will be releasing a book of Sasaki Maki works in January 2015. They said that it would be a book length collection edited and translated by Ryan Holmberg unlike the just released Flowering Harbour which is a 40 page risographed booklet. I picked it up last night and must say that it is absolutely beautifully presented and well worth getting even though it is a little bit pricey.

Breakdown Press also have plans to continue releasing these smaller comic-book sized works but no authors/titles seem to have been decided on as yet.

Also, can't remember if it's been mentioned here but another small press company, Retrofit Comics, are going to be releasing an Akino Kondoh comic sometime later this year. I think it's good that these smaller companies are getting involved in publishing alt-manga as I think it may broaden the audience for such works and result in more being published. It also shows willingness on the side of Japanese artists to have works put out by smaller companies.

Thanks jimpac, many great news! Specially the unpublished Sasaki Maki and Tadao Tusge.
Akino Kondoh has two books in french from Lezard Noir. I wonder if this new one is manga or art book.

My current purchase plan is:
now: Seiichi Hayashi - Flowering Harbour (Breakdown Press)
Nov 2014: Mizuki - Showa 3 (D&Q)
End 2014: Akino Kondoh (Retrofit Comics)
Jan 2015: Sasaki Maki (Breakdown Press)
Feb 2015: Tadao Tsuge – Trash (D&Q)

Meanwhile (after several years waiting) I gave up on Cigarette girl from TopShelf and bought the french edition. I may still buy the english edition if it ever comes out.
Also bought Moyoco Anno Sakuran. It would be a good edition it were not for the dwarf size. Art can not be properly appreciated in such small size. Although maybe japan original version is also small. Some Japanese manga books are 6” tall! Minimum should be 8”, although bigger is better.
noblesse oblige

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 5:43 pm Reply with quote
FYI, for anyone who doesn't already have a copy of AX: Alternative Manga Volume 1, it's on sale for $3 until tomorrow (Sept. 26) via Top Shelf Production's own website. http://www.topshelfcomix.com/catalog/ax-vol-1-a-collection-of-alternative-manga/645 In fact, all their graphic novels are on sale. Cheers.
Fel Temp Reparatio

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:15 pm Reply with quote
So there's a new Kickstarter campaign to get some more Tezuka published. Unfotunately, given the $380,000 goal and the fact that the lowest pledge to get physical books is $150 for two volumes, I can't see this one coming near its goal let alone its stretch goals.
racebit

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:10 pm Reply with quote
Fel Temp Reparatio wrote:
So there's a new Kickstarter campaign to get some more Tezuka published. Unfotunately, given the $380,000 goal and the fact that the lowest pledge to get physical books is $150 for two volumes, I can't see this one coming near its goal let alone its stretch goals.

Yes, $150 for two books makes no sense.
But if we sign for the complete collections the value makes more sense.
racebit

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:19 pm Reply with quote
A new book from Masahiko Matsumoto is already available at Breakdown Press Store:
http://www.breakdownpress.com/store/

I was waiting for this one to buy it together with Flowering Harbour, so I was now initiating the purchase process, when I noticed the books size, and got chocked! When Jimpac talked about small books I thought he meant the number of pages, but they are both 190x135mm!!!
Are we supposed to read using magnifiers?
racebit

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:40 pm Reply with quote
Great article by Ryan Holmberg on Matsumoto Masahiko::
http://www.tcj.com/proto-gekiga-matsumoto-masahikos-komaga/

Be sure to check the 4 parts/pages of the article.
And note this on the the end of first page:
"Help Breakdown sell this book, and down the road you might see more translations of rare, mid 50s kashihon manga."

So, I just ordered both books from Breakdown Press.
racebit

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:02 pm Reply with quote
GSam

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:50 pm Reply with quote
Fel Temp Reparatio wrote:

I was turned off just looking at the goal. I obviously wasn't going to get any books, but I didn't even consider donating some spare change. The books themselves are interesting. It would be cool to see 3-eyed one or Rainbow Parakeet, but just normal folk looking at those numbers...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 84 of 88