• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
San Diego Comic Con 2014

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Suena

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:59 pm Reply with quote
Nice overview! Smile
Ali07

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:55 pm Reply with quote
It's strange, for me, that no comic book announcements got me excited. I've been reading comics for around 10 years, so I'm much more steeped in comicdom than I am in manga/anime.

Thing is, only 2 announcements from SDCC had me excited. 1st was Sentai's license pick up of the Gekkan Shojo Nozaki-kun anime, the 2nd was Kodansha USA's announcement of a print release for the Yamada-kun and the Seven Witches manga. Very Happy
zatheus

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:49 pm Reply with quote
It is always nice to read ANN's article on Comic Con every year. I've been keeping up on Comic Con mostly with Sourcefed and I was pleasantly surprised, when reaching the bottom of the article, that you have one of their hosts Trisha Hershberger in the photo gallery.
SnaphappyFMA

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:35 am Reply with quote
I completely agree that if you are only an anime fan (not a Hollywood superhero fan or American comic book fan), Comic Con is not a must-attend.

I used to go to Comic Con until the crush of people became too much for me. (And then I experienced this year's Anime Expo - but that's another story...)

At Comic Con, anime is the red-haired stepchild. As of the last year I attended (2009), the anime viewing rooms were in an area of the convention center that was segregated from the rest of the con, which indicated to me how the con regards our favorite art form.

If you have the money and time though, Comic Con should be experienced at least once because it's a unique event. It's kind of amazing, but completely exhausting.
anemayfan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:59 am Reply with quote
Quote:
While series new and old were featured, fans who want to see world premieres of new movies, shows, or dubs will likely not see them at Comic Con

According to the Funimation representative and the director of the english dub who attended and gave a short speech, the Friday night showing of "Bayonetta: Bloody Fate" was the world premiere of the english dub.
Also Saturday night they showed the entire 1st episode of the new Sailor Moon dub.

I do agree with the article though. If you're just into Anime, you're better off going to Anime Expo or Otakon.
iloveturkey

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:35 am Reply with quote
SnaphappyFMA wrote:
I completely agree that if you are only an anime fan (not a Hollywood superhero fan or American comic book fan), Comic Con is not a must-attend.

You talk as is ComicCon hasn't been taken over by irrelevant mass already. Last I checked How I Met Your Mother wasn't a comic, nor was Glee, Big Bang Theory, Game of Thrones, Family Guy, nor any of the plethora of other television shows and Hollywood movies that plague the panel list there. Anime seems to fit in just as much as anything else these days all things considered. ComicCon has become an mass of general media consumption.
fullmetal-mix

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:12 pm Reply with quote
These cosplays are all great, but the one that takes the prize is that Kuroko one Laughing
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:08 pm Reply with quote
Bamboo, I think you are too diplomatic, SDCC is nowhere to go for Anime. How about AnimeConji (April this year, Sheraton Harbor Island, 5th year running)? I have been in SD since the mid '80's and SDCC was lots of fun then, but my daughter and I were attending AX and decided to go check out SDCC in 2010 for two days, only saw 5 costumed people total and vowed never to return! My daughter has some friends that went to SDCC in 2012 in cosplay and were run off by security as costumed people were only allowed on one specified day, which wasn't the day they went. And the funny thing is that in the last couple of years, there has been a surge of people attending AX in Batman/Joker/etc. costume! I don't think SDCC is really for fans anymore but AX/AC is.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:43 pm Reply with quote
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
My daughter has some friends that went to SDCC in 2012 in cosplay and were run off by security as costumed people were only allowed on one specified day, which wasn't the day they went.

That security guard(?) was very wrong. I've been going to Comic Con for almost 10 years now, and they've never had a one-day-only costume policy.
KidaYuki

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:30 am Reply with quote
I audibly gasped when I found Haine from Gentleman's alliance cross.

Who ever that girl was I LOVE YOU!!!!!!!!! Thank you for doing an Arina Tanemura cosplay random con-goer You have made my night Anime cry
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1