• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Parasyte Anime's Cast, Staff Revealed

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:03 pm Reply with quote
Oooh, it's Aya Hirano!

Anyways, I'm not sure how I feel about this. The artwork feels a bit different. Hope to see a PV soon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Apollo-kun

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:11 pm Reply with quote
I used to really dislike Aya Hirano, and the insipid fanbase that was painfully active for a while. But her recent roles have taken very interesting risks, showing the makings of a truly great VA, and this is no exception. Despite my aversion to the art style they picked for this adaptation, I'm very excited to see Hirano's acting chops in this.

Here's hoping they keep spoiler[the protagonist's hand getting turned into a giant phallus] in some capacity.
Brand

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:11 pm Reply with quote
I guess I shouldn't be to shocked about an artwork update. The art was always raw and by today's standards it is old.

But I don't know how feel about changing the main character from looking like an average everyday guy to smart nerd (maybe emo-ish) with glasses.

Hopefully, it will work out that he is the same character with a new look and not basically a whole new character.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cyclone1993

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:20 pm Reply with quote
Looks like some nice designs, and a pretty great cast. I'll be watching this despite having no familiarity with the source manga.
danilo07

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:24 pm Reply with quote
I love those designs, it was great that they brought Tadashi Hiramatsu to design them that he didn't stay as a Chief Animation Director.
Quote:
Despite my aversion to the art style they picked for this adaptation, I'm very excited to see Hirano's acting chops in this.

What exactly do you hate about the art style?
Sunny milk

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:30 pm Reply with quote
I think some people hate the art style for being...how to put it? Oh yeah, ugly.
Unique is not always good.
Brand

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:31 pm Reply with quote
Sunny milk wrote:
I think some people hate the art style for being...how to put it? Oh yeah, ugly.

It's not like the original art was beautiful. This is just very different and much more clean looking. An example is that this is what the main character looks like in the manga.
Nadare Xizos

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:32 pm Reply with quote
I'm not sure I like the character designs. The original manga might have had minimal art but it was really detailed. Why the glasses on Izumi? Is it meant to tie into the character's development later on to make it more shocking? Hmm.
kevinx59

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:47 pm Reply with quote
I knew Madhouse was going to be the one animating this. Had a gut feeling. Anyways I think the character designs look fine. That Parasyte thing scares the crap out of me though.
Marzan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:47 pm Reply with quote
Boy do the characters look different to the manga. I knew they would need to update but I didn't quite expect it to be so different. Having said that Aya Hirano is an interesting choice as Migi, I expected it to be a very male voice for some reason.

I wonder how true they will stay to the manga considering it's very violent content.
Araki

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:14 pm Reply with quote
Sunny milk wrote:

This doesn't even look "unique",in fact, i'd say it's bland and generic instead. The art in the manga was actually much more original.
Aynslesa

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:51 pm Reply with quote
To be fair, Shinichi was pretty...clean-cut and bookish pre-Migi, not all that different from how this version looks - minus the glasses. He had his hair combed, his clothes neat, all that. It wasn't until Migi showed up and he started getting heavily involved with the Parasyte incidents, plus his personality started its shift, that he started spiking his hair and looking...not sloppy, but not quite as proper. I'm hoping that what we're seeing here is early-Izumi, and they'll do a similar sort of appearance transition later.

No complaints with the updates to Satomi; although it's a different, somewhat cuter hairstyle, I see a lot of the original character in her expressions. And Migi appears to be properly Migi-ish.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:06 pm Reply with quote
Man took them long enough. Well, I look at like Hollywood. When you run out of stuff you always tap into something you didn't. I know that Parasyte did have a live action film some years later right? Or they're doing one now. But an anime, this is some interesting news. But we can see who they're catering this show to.
KH91

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:12 pm Reply with quote
I guess Aya Hirano changed her mind again. The only way that could have happened is if she went on a date with Shido.
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:41 pm Reply with quote
So they're rectonning older characters and making them emo and moe, too, huh? I have a bad feeling about this, now. That'll it be as terrible as that Guyver tv anime.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2