• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Live-Action Attack on Titan Confirmed for 2 Films

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Oneeyedjacks

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:17 pm Reply with quote
This is one of the few cases where I wish there'd be a big budget Hollywood adaptation of an anime. I don't think anyone really expects these movies to be good.
KH91

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:22 pm Reply with quote
Oneeyedjacks wrote:
This is one of the few cases where I wish there'd be a big budget Hollywood adaptation of an anime. I don't think anyone really expects these movies to be good.

I say the same with Gantz.

2 anime movies and 2 live action movies. Someone's making a lot of money.
infamoustakai

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:52 pm Reply with quote
And the cash cow continues to be milked.
potatochobit

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:57 pm Reply with quote
at least, it's not a taiwanese live action.

I also do not watch michael bay movies and I think he is a moron.

the guys who made the mortal kombat movie, I bet they would make a cool attack on titan show lol. It need not be realistic, just entertaining with catchy music.
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:14 pm Reply with quote
KH91 wrote:
Oneeyedjacks wrote:

Must disagree, the Gantz movies rock, albeit the first one moreso than the second. Just goes to show how much more cautiously optimistic I am, or at least willing to wait and see what they come up with before jumping to early judgment.

Can't help but notice that while film trilogies are a thing here in the west, film duologies are more a thing in Japan. They seem to prefer just splitting their epic stories in clean halves.
Hagaren Viper

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:12 pm Reply with quote
So is anyone else surprised that both movies open next summer? I haven't heard anything released quite like that before.
Dessa

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:31 pm Reply with quote
Huh, Eiji and Escape? Can't say either actor really pinged me in their show, but, at least in Eiji's case, it was probably the writing. OOO was all over the place.
KH91

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:48 pm Reply with quote
pachy_boy wrote:
KH91 wrote:
Oneeyedjacks wrote:

Must disagree, the Gantz movies rock, albeit the first one moreso than the second.

I liked the movies, but considering spoiler[ there are Gantzers in America in the manga] I would like to see an American live action movie with spoiler[a hollywood ending just like Oku gave the manga][/quote]
mdo7

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:15 pm Reply with quote
I laugh at the people that attacked Hollywood for whitewashing Asian character (which well I can understand), yet these same people don't attack this film production for whitewashing European characters. I mean anyone that follow Attack on Titan knows the characters are non-Asians I mean Eren Yeager (a person with a European name) played by a Japanese actor is no different from let say having a non-Asian actors playing "Asian" characters in The last Airbender.

Also I'm going to put my bet the Japanese film production is not going to look good in term of CG and production value (I mean anybody remember the live-action Kiki's delivery service, that was subpar compared to other East Asian cinema). Some people pointed out on a Kotaku article regarding why the Japanese didn't do the Godzilla reboot:

Austin Yap on Kotaku wrote:
The main problem is the budget, FX technology etc. Japan's movies suffered from awful quality and with today movie standard, nearly all movie required CG and Japan's are terrible. Look at the Partlabour movie, the mecha looks like a PS2 generated. Besides, Japanese movie tends to have much lower budget compare to Hollywood. And Hollywood has the guts to throw in shit tons of cash because of English language, it will has great sales compare to Japanese language. I really looking forward to Hollywood 2nd attempt on Godzilla.

Dizzysit on Kotaku wrote:
I love Japanese cinema, but when it comes to films with heavy special effects, the production value looks stale. The Gantz duology I believe is the most expensive Japanese film(s) of all time, but the budget was no higher than, say, American Hustle. One of the reason I'm not looking forward to the adaptation of Attack the Titan.

Yeah I don't have a lot of confidence that the Japanese live-action of this film will look good, it should've been a Hollywood (and maybe with Chinese and South Korean film co-production) doing the live-action Attack on Titan.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Hagaren Viper

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:21 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
I laugh at the people that attacked Hollywood for whitewashing Asian character (which well I can understand), yet these same people don't attack this film production for whitewashing European characters.

While I understand what you mean here, the term 'whitewashing' doesn't exactly make sense in this context.
mdo7

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:38 pm Reply with quote
Hagaren Viper wrote:
mdo7 wrote:
I laugh at the people that attacked Hollywood for whitewashing Asian character (which well I can understand), yet these same people don't attack this film production for whitewashing European characters.

While I understand what you mean here, the term 'whitewashing' doesn't exactly make sense in this context.

Well you know how people complain and bash at Hollywood whenever they adapt anime/manga into live-action and throwing in "Whitewash" because they're changing Asian characters into non-Asian characters, how come these same people never made a big deal when Japanese film does something similar like when Japan did a live-action Thermae Romae, they had Japanese actors playing as Roman:

and I was told there were non-Asian extras in the film. Also remember the live-action Black Butler where Hiro Mizushima played Sebastian (a non-Asian character). I mean nobody complain over these whitewashing (or should I say "yellowwashing"). I mean somebody pointed this out:

Animeking1108 wrote:
RACISM! They casted an Asian for a British man!

In all seriousness, I actually had the thought of a BB movie the other day, with David Tennant as Sebastian.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:51 pm Reply with quote
@mdo7

I thought the same as Hagaren Viper when I read your comment. The point is that it's not "whitewashing" because they're casting Asians as non-Asians whereas "whitewashing" is casting non-Asians as Asians. Your term usage was just incorrect, though we know what you meant.

Also, I think whitewashing is more of an issue with Hollywood movies because there are plenty of Asian actors available. In Japan however, there are not many non-Asian actors available so the choices are very limited. (Btw, I haven't heard of any Kuroshitsuji fans who actually liked the live-action movie.)

mdo7 wrote:
Hagaren Viper wrote:
mdo7 wrote:

Well you know how people complain and bash at Hollywood whenever they adapt anime/manga into live-action and throwing in "Whitewash" because they're changing Asian characters into non-Asian characters, how come these same people never made a big deal when Japanese film does something similar like when Japan did a live-action Thermae Romae, they had Japanese actors playing as Roman:

and I was told there were non-Asian extras in the film. Also remember the live-action Black Butler where Hiro Mizushima played Sebastian (a non-Asian character). I mean nobody complain over these whitewashing (or should I say "yellowwashing"). I mean somebody pointed this out:

Animeking1108 wrote:
RACISM! They casted an Asian for a British man!

In all seriousness, I actually had the thought of a BB movie the other day, with David Tennant as Sebastian.
BakaRocka

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:54 pm Reply with quote
I said the same thing about the cast on another page and people started calling me a racist.
mdo7

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:10 pm Reply with quote
GokuMew2 wrote:
@mdo7

I thought the same as Hagaren Viper when I read your comment. The point is that it's not "whitewashing" because they're casting Asians as non-Asians whereas "whitewashing" is casting non-Asians as Asians. Your term usage was just incorrect, though we know what you meant.

Also, I think whitewashing is more of an issue with Hollywood movies because there are plenty of Asian actors available. In Japan however, there are not many non-Asian actors available so the choices are very limited. (Btw, I haven't heard of any Kuroshitsuji fans who actually liked the live-action movie.)

I know and I'm aware of this, but what bother me is the hypocrisy. I mean of course people will go after Hollywood for whitewashing but these same people never go after Asia for doing something similar.

Also when another Asian countries (Korea or Taiwan) adapt anime/manga into live-action nobody called those whitewash (as in they changed the original manga's character name and their ethnicities), I mean for Boys over Flower are an example of that and nobody made a big deal over that. But if a western country like if Brazil decide to adapt Boys over Flower to Brazilian setting and change the character name and ethnicity but keep the story the same, people will call it whitewash yet ignore the Taiwanese and the Korean adaptation.

BakaRocka wrote:
I said the same thing about the cast on another page and people started calling me a racist.

Are you joking or did this really happen??
meruru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:26 pm Reply with quote
If you don't hear people complaining, it's because it's not really our place to decide what's offensive for Japan. Also, racism is rather different in Japan than in it is in America, so this situation is not the same as if a Hollywood movie casts Asian characters as caucasians instead.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2