• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Anime Production Companies, Manga Publishers Crack Down on Piracy

Goto page   Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:43 am Reply with quote
Yeah good luck with this....

Get rid of one site and more emerges to take its place.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
CallumKeyblade

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:46 am Reply with quote
If they're focusing on titles that are licensed and available for purchase, then fair enough. Scanlations & such have their place for accessing titles that aren't available to buy though.
terran3020

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:50 am Reply with quote
i know this certain site that changes its domain name every 2 weeks.

it is HOPELESS to try and fight this
Veniamin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:54 am Reply with quote
Download files and sharing with others=/= Piracy

If I'm pirating something, it'd be getting OR DOWNLOADING something that isn't mine and making money off of it without the Studio's permission.

If we go by their logic, I guess they should ask me to stop sharing my Hokuto no Ken DVD's with someone. after all, it's PIRATING right? It's not like interest matters at all in a product we enjoy.
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:56 am Reply with quote
terran3020 wrote:

And so the alternative is what, exactly?
Student no.0

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:58 am Reply with quote
As much as I love seeing companies putting effort to combat piracy, I just wish more can be done about the availability issues on content people are interested in. Like Viz comics making it digitally available for Latin American audiences (I still buy physical releases, but some space-saving would really help), less restriction to currently extremely expensive and out-of-print shows I want to watch like R.O.D with its dub, some more Funimation shows available for CR for Latin American watchers, etc. Of course, this isn't something to blame on anyone at all, especially the Western licensors who make a good effort to make this content available to us and the Japanese creators making them in the first place, but I hope with the collected support of anime fans it'll come to this soon in the future. In the meantime, I'll work with what I have legally available to me and enjoy the most out of it as much as I can.
誤称

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:58 am Reply with quote
Joe Mello wrote:
terran3020 wrote:

Build a better service.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:00 pm Reply with quote
Joe Mello wrote:
terran3020 wrote:

Get their content available online, get people to translate it to chinese and english. They would get a fortune in ads. This is no different from the alcohol prohibition in the usa in the early 20th century, restricting a merchandise would not prevent its sale in an open market, these fight can last 50 years and not be won, just like the war on drugs.
rankothefiremage

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:00 pm Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
Yeah good luck with this....

Get rid of one site and more emerges to take its place.

Agreed, also thous "estimates of damages" assume every item pirated is a lost sale, Which i feel are the minority of pirates, most either wouldn't have spent money in the first place or use downloading to see what they want to buy.

Since 2000 when i got into anime only a few manga or anime titles have entered my collection without me seeing at least a bit of them fansubbed/scanned. That is some 259 series of anime, from last count and more manga series than i've bothered to count.

This just seems like a waste of money on the part of the publishers which could be better spent creating better content for us to buy.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:06 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I get trying to protect your copyright, but too often, the alternative is "sucks to.be you" and there's nothing legal to replace it.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:08 pm Reply with quote
rankothefiremage wrote:

...i feel are the minority of pirates, most either wouldn't have spent money in the first place or use downloading to see what they want to buy.

This is very very accurate of every pirate I know.

Also, pirate sites sometimes (often) have better players or quality than legal ones and of course dont make people wait a week. My biggest issue with CR is their player doesnt like to work or has issues, and their bitrate is pretty bad. I found it hilarious when I saw this news on CR since they started off as pirates of the worst kind (they charged for it)
king 47

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:10 pm Reply with quote
There are people who pirate due to the inconvenience and unavailability of legal sources. Like when it used take forever to get shows after they aired in Japan. But now many if those issues are lessened with CR, Hulu, and such.

And there are people who will pirate no matter what, as if they take pride in it, or refuse to get legal stuff. Those are the people who those movement is against, and that's difficult.

Also, good luck in China.
Barbobot

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:10 pm Reply with quote
Veniamin wrote:

If I'm pirating something, it'd be getting OR DOWNLOADING something that isn't mine and making money off of it without the Studio's permission.

You don't have to be making money off what your downloading for it to be piracy.
ZeetherKID77

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:16 pm Reply with quote
CallumKeyblade wrote:
If they're focusing on titles that are licensed and available for purchase, then fair enough. Scanlations & such have their place for accessing titles that aren't available to buy though.

Exactly. Good luck doing this to scanlations when a good chunk of series we see scanlated won't be licensed at all because they won't sell good. And seeing how Japan's attempts to offer legal manga here have fallen flat I don't see any alternative working good. I WANT to support manga here but when I can't read something I want to see in English there's no solution besides importing the tankobon and learning Japanese (which takes years). Either Japan needs to step it up or let someone in this country handle it, or I go to scanlations.
Veniamin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:17 pm Reply with quote
Barbobot wrote:
Veniamin wrote:

You don't have to be making money off what your downloading for it to be piracy.

Uh, yeah you do. why do you think people try to take cameras with them in the movie theaters, place it on a Disc and try to sell for profit for THEMSELVES and not by the Company's permission? Of course that would be naturally illegal.

File-sharing is not piracy, hence why it's called "File-SHARING." not some gimmicky marketing scheme, but me sharing shit for you and it's up to you on how you'll buy it, if you really loved the product.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 14