• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Comic Blade Ceases Publication, Replaced with Comic Garden Magazine

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:04 am Reply with quote
Seems a lot of publications are transitioning into digital format lately...
Hawkmoth

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:53 am Reply with quote
I'll be happy with Amanchu! online at least. Very Happy
mgosdin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:27 am Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:
Seems a lot of publications are transitioning into digital format lately...

Yes, It appears that the online world's assimilation of print media is moving apace even in Japan.

Mark Gosdin
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:31 am Reply with quote
Hawkmoth wrote:

I'm hoping an anime adaptation in the future. But yeah, this seems to be a trend with the latest news.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ali07

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:48 am Reply with quote
I was just wondering if M3 had a manga, and now I know. Laughing

The Elemental Gelade one-shot caught my eye too.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:04 am Reply with quote
I consider the digital transitions to be a double edged sword, yes, it allows for very easy and convenient reading but what if you wanted to read a manga from 10, 15, or 20 years from now or an entire manga magazine, it may not be possible especially if the servers are down.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:43 am Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
Hawkmoth wrote:

I'm hoping an anime adaptation in the future.

Would there be enough incentive for an anime of a free monthy online? Would increased ad clicks and maybe tankoubon sales make up for the production costs? Without physical books, that's something online publications have to hurdle to get an anime.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:55 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Would there be enough incentive for an anime of a free monthy online? Would increased ad clicks and maybe tankoubon sales make up for the production costs? Without physical books, that's something online publications have to hurdle to get an anime.

You answered your own question, with enough tankoubon sales an anime adaption becomes a possibility, whether it originally appeared online or in print should not make a difference. Also, with online magazines publishers can now how many readers are reading what sections, so they also have that statistic now also.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:09 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

You answered your own question, with enough tankoubon sales an anime adaption becomes a possibility, whether it originally appeared online or in print should not make a difference.

With free online though, they're starting from zero. In contrast with previous tankoubon sales, they're already selling books and making profit - the anime is to increase the sales and profit further. It's a greater financial risk to hurdle when starting free online.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:24 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
mangamuscle wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

You answered your own question, with enough tankoubon sales an anime adaption becomes a possibility, whether it originally appeared online or in print should not make a difference.

With free online though, they're starting from zero. In contrast with previous tankoubon sales, they're already selling books and making profit - the anime is to increase the sales and profit further. It's a greater financial risk to hurdle when starting free online.

Unless they were making it up, in the mangirl! anime they stated that new manga magazines start publishing at a loss! they recoup the investment with the sales of tankoubons (the publishing companies gets a share of the sales from those). Also, I remember a reporter friend told me some years ago that the price of newspapers barely covered the paper and printing costs, they revenue came from ads. So if the can sell ads for the online magazine with the lower production costs they might even start on the black or light red. Websites like ANN help people know about these new online magazines, basically it is free publicity.
BonnKansan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:30 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
mangamuscle wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

Watamote, Going-Home Club, Barakamon, and Monthly Shoujo Nozaki-kun are all running in Gangan Online, so clearly there's enough incentive for Square-Enix.
Suena

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:25 pm Reply with quote
Now, if only they'd provide/allow translations of these and make them available through their new MAG portal....
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:21 pm Reply with quote
Suena wrote:
Now, if only they'd provide/allow translations of these and make them available through their new MAG portal....

Hear! Hear!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1