• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Masaaki Yuasa's Studio Shows Off The Animation Technique Behind Ping Pong

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:26 pm Reply with quote
That's awesome. I really like Yuasa's style when this was animated Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
AnimeKnight2034

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:59 pm Reply with quote
I'm completely baffled why this guy is getting any attention. None of his shows have sold. At all. His art looks terrible. Look at those sketches. They look like a high-schooler crapped them out. And then look at the video at 0:30-0:32. LOL. Good job with staying on model there. That barely looks like a human being.

Is this just some hipster thing? That it's cool to like it because it's terrible? Someone please explain this to me. And hipsters need not apply.
EyeOfPain

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:02 pm Reply with quote
AnimeKnight2034 wrote:
I'm completely baffled why this guy is getting any attention. None of his shows have sold. At all. His art looks terrible. Look at those sketches. They look like a high-schooler crapped them out. And then look at the video at 0:30-0:32. LOL. Good job with staying on model there. That barely looks like a human being.
Have you watched any of his shows, or are you just judging based on a couple bits of unfinished animation? Try Tatami Galaxy.
AnimeKnight2034

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:18 pm Reply with quote
EyeOfPain wrote:
Have you watched any of his shows, or are you just judging based on a couple bits of unfinished animation? Try Tatami Galaxy.

I've seen Mind Game (terrible art, terrible character designs, just ugly all around. I turned it off and deleted the file after like 15 minutes.), Kaiba (1 episode, looks a little better, but still way too cheap/cartoony. Also still muddy as hell. Still Hated It.), Tatami Galaxy (1 episode, probably the best looking, like you suggest but still doesn't look like anything special and looks cheap in a lot of places (stuff like this and this), and 1 episode of Ping Pong... which was his usual... terrible. His characters look lerpy half the time and its like he has no idea what perspective is.

I just don't get why people say he's a great artist. Look at the art he's providing in the article. IT IS TERRIBLE. It's seriously kiddie scribbles.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:22 pm Reply with quote
EyeOfPain wrote:
AnimeKnight2034 wrote:

Remember what you said in the other thread?;
EyeOfPain wrote:
rankothefiremage wrote:
Also in the case of shows i can't get state side like Nanoha StrikerS, first i did by seasons 1 and 2, but i've also brought a number of secondary items like figures, since there is no legit release of the 3rd season over here.
StrikerS wasn't very good.

Pot, meet Kettle...
EyeOfPain

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:25 pm Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:
Remember what you said in the other thread?;
EyeOfPain wrote:
rankothefiremage wrote:
Also in the case of shows i can't get state side like Nanoha StrikerS, first i did by seasons 1 and 2, but i've also brought a number of secondary items like figures, since there is no legit release of the 3rd season over here.
StrikerS wasn't very good.

Pot, meet Kettle...
I wasn't talking about the animation, though it's nothing special. I was talking about pretty much everything else.

Also, if that other guy only cares about art, there's apparently no point trying to convince him that there's anything more to Yuasa's works.
AnimeKnight2034

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:32 pm Reply with quote
EyeOfPain wrote:
Also, if that other guy only cares about art

Artists should be judged on their art, no?
EyeOfPain

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:38 pm Reply with quote
AnimeKnight2034 wrote:
EyeOfPain wrote:
Also, if that other guy only cares about art

Artists should be judged on their art, no?
Yuasa is also a director and scriptwriter. Art isn't strictly visual.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:50 pm Reply with quote
EyeOfPain wrote:
No. But art is strictly subjective, and tastes vary between persons...
AnimeKnight2034

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:53 pm Reply with quote
EyeOfPain wrote:

No, but his reputation comes from his art style. If his shows looked like the rest of anime no one would care. Arguably his most popular show is the new Ping Pong. He just adapted it from a manga. So I doubt it's his writing that really does much for people. I just google some more info on the guy. It seems he also publishes artbooks of his drawings. More of the stuff that was shown in the article. And people buy them Rolling Eyes. Clearly he's trying to make his money from being an Artist. Not a writer. Go find me a novel he's written.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:07 pm Reply with quote
I sort of agree with this guy's grievances on Yuasa's art for what are supposed to be humans in a human world, which is why I enjoyed Kaiba for just going full cartoony with the designs. That weird world and his style just mixed well.

But it is kind of telling that it's definitely not a popular aesthetic when they won't even license his stuff, and that we only have Kaiba in HD thanks to it airing on TV as I believe they only released a DVD. Still, I don't just love everything the guy produces because it's his, I have little interest in watching Ping Pong, I think Kick-Heart was nothing special, I haven't seen Kemonozume yet, and I loved Kaiba above all else for the journey of lost memories story and you should be hooked by the third episode. I think there's definitely a hipster element that lends to the attractive quality of the art, but the art alone can't carry a show.
Doodleboy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:01 pm Reply with quote
AnimeKnight2034 wrote:

Is this just some hipster thing? That it's cool to like it because it's terrible? Someone please explain this to me. And hipsters need not apply.

0:30 to 0:32 is showing off a function of Flash that allows for artificial perspective... It's not the finished animation... It's how they do the head rotation when closing in on Smile's eye without redrawing. Look closely.

Shows selling are not an arbiter of quality. If that were the case Transformers will be high-art and Baccano a piece of crap.

Why Masaami Yuasa's stuff gets attention? He's imaginative, he's always experimenting, he's always inventive. The animation is expressive. I love the style used for Tatami Galaxy and Kick-heart. For Ping Pong he was riffing Taiyo Matsumoto's art, and the final match between Smile and Peco was gorgeously animated.

Yuasa's animation breaks proportions and representation in order to convey the emotions of a scene. When Dragon is dominating Wenge he fills up the screen. When Smile is desperately chasing after a ball his drawing becomes looser and choppier.

I like that they're animators like him working in the field. If I want normal anime stuff there's everybody else.

But it's taste, people have different tastes. I don't think there are any hipster anime fans. Anime is the least cool thing ever and that's fine. Let's not take it so seriously.
hav

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:41 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, he has a new artbook coming out in a few weeks and I bought it as soon as I found out. I understand how his art could be pretty divisive, since lines aren't straight and characters go off model if you want to call it that. But I just think it makes everything look more alive. Meanwhile, the animation in his shows is incredible, and the stories are always very interesting. He seems to have a great imagination. I loved his episode of Space Dandy a couple weeks ago. Especially the boat going up the giant spout of water; that looked amazing. His art is different, and I guess that is one of the reasons that I like it so much (it makes it stand out?). But I don't think that's a bad thing.
Juno016

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:16 pm Reply with quote
AnimeKnight2034 wrote:

Tezuka created some really, really ugly, but interesting (and in a way, beautiful) experimental films that never sold. He didn't care that it sold because he didn't make it for money, even. But he still found them to be some of his better works, and when discussed, those who have seen them tend to agree. Still, things like Tetsuwan Atom (Astro Boy) and Black Jack are some of his most famous works because they were better marketed, and his comment to that: "I hate it. I know stuff I prefer to make doesn't sell. I like Astro Boy and Black Jack, but they aren't my favorite things to make and I have to make it for people or I'll lose my job. It's the industry that does this." :/
reanimator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:50 pm Reply with quote
@AnimneKnight2034

When you thought Yuasa's was hipster thing, then there are hardcore western animation fans out there who dislike typical anime/manga look with similar criteria as yours.

Believe it or not, Yuasa was hired to do a storyboard for third Berserk movie despite his "terrible art". Why is that? He has certain artistic qualities that many popular Japanese animators & character designers don't have and his colleagues respect him for what he can do.

You don't like a certain artist's art style? Then there are people who don't like your favorite art style either.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2