• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Streams Cancelled Psycho-Pass Episode

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LaughingElbow

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:40 pm Reply with quote
At least Funimation will stream this!
AsherFischell

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:42 pm Reply with quote
I hope this doesn't effect season 2.
v1cious

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:44 pm Reply with quote
Man, Japan is freaking out over this whole thing. Coicidentally, the last big juvenile crime occurred in the same exact city 10 years ago (Nevada-Tan).

Moving along... Are there any notable differences about this current run of Psycho-Pass? I heard they added they a lot of extra scenes.

Last edited by v1cious on Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:54 pm Reply with quote
Watch as the missing episode will be on BD in Japan as an OVA, the chances that it will see the light of day is high.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:02 pm Reply with quote
The decision to not show the episode makes sense given the circumstances. What I am a bit surprised is that an episode from a late-night anime (that only a tiny portion of the Japanese population would have watched) could be this relevant/important in regards to a real-life murder.
v1cious

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:08 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
The decision to not show the episode makes sense given the circumstances. What I am a bit surprised is that an episode from a late-night anime (that only a tiny portion of the Japanese population would have watched) could be this relevant/important in regards to a real-life murder.

*minor spoilers*
spoiler[The episode is part of a 2 part arc where a schoolgirl kills students, and chops them up to make sculptures.]

So yeah, bad timing.
Seif

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:11 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:

It's not unprecedented
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:19 pm Reply with quote
Wow. I don't know what to say to this; I just (literally, *just*) watched the episode and it was indeed disturbing (fascinating, too). I saw some tweets referring to the real-life crime mentioned in the article a few days ago, and didn't want to look up the details due to its gruesome nature, and my hope that the alleged murderer is truly just *alleged* and a girl that young didn't actually commit such a heinous and horrific crime. I know anything can happen and truth can be stranger and more disturbing than fiction, but something of this nature is better left in the realm of fiction. I didn't connect the story about the murder and Psycho-Pass ep 4 until I saw this article. I really hope its a coincidence, and totally understand their decision.

*On an inappropriately selfish note, I kind of wish Funimation gave us ep 5 this week, instead of waiting 'till next week...
ChibiGoku

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:19 pm Reply with quote
Seif wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:

It's not unprecedented

It's worth noting that an episode of One Piece got edited after a stabbing incident had occured, where Absalom stabs Sanji. In the edited version, Sanji only gets "jabbed", and isn't bleeding all over the place. Sanji discovering his positioning was also changed, as well, where he finds him via the dust on the ground, versus him stepping in Sanji's blooding and it trickling on the floor. However, Toei distributed the original version on DVD and overseas versions.

What happened with Psycho-Pass isn't unique, but it's understandable when situations align up that can cause issues broadcasting when an event of similar nature, occurred.
Shippoyasha

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:20 pm Reply with quote
Freaking stupid. This will only empower the morons who equate real life violence to anime violence.
mdo7

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:26 pm Reply with quote
ANN wrote:
A 16-year-old Japanese high school student from Sasebo in Nagasaki prefecture was arrested on Sunday for murdering and decapitating her classmate.

I think I remember hearing about this news on Japan Today a few days ago, here's several articles if you want to know why the episode of Psycho-Pass got cancelled:

Sasebo girl says she wanted to see what it was like to kill someone

16-year-old girl arrested for beheading classmate in Sasebo
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:28 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
ANN wrote:
A 16-year-old Japanese high school student from Sasebo in Nagasaki prefecture was arrested on Sunday for murdering and decapitating her classmate.

I think I remember hearing about this news on Japan Today a few days ago, here's several articles if you want to know why the episode of Psycho-Pass got cancelled:

Sasebo girl says she wanted to see what it was like to kill someone

16-year-old girl arrested for beheading classmate in Sasebo

She also tried to kill her father and poison her class too. A true cold-blooded killer.
Dop.L

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:36 pm Reply with quote
Thing is, this kind of cancellation is a common thing, and not just in Japan but anywhere with any kind of sensitivity to real-world events.

If something in the TV schedules bears any kind of relation to a tragic event, it gets pulled. TV stations don't show "Airplane!" if there's been a plane crash. That episode of "The Simpsons" where Homer visits the World Trade Centre wasn't shown for YEARS from September 2001.
It's a surprisingly comment event because it's just simple decency.
mdo7

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:44 pm Reply with quote
Hoppy800 wrote:

She also tried to kill her father and poison her class too. A true cold-blooded killer.

Yeah I heard about that too.

The good news: The Japanese media didn't blame video game or anime for the killer's action (because usually when a young kid go on a killing spree, they always blame video game or other popular stuff young kids like for a young kid committing crimes).

Edit: Statement retracted, after somebody on the forum posted the link from Kotaku showing Japanese media pointing blame on anime for the murder, I'm going to withdraw that part of the statement.

Last edited by mdo7 on Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:57 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
I saw some tweets referring to the real-life crime mentioned in the article a few days ago, and didn't want to look up the details due to its gruesome nature, and my hope that the alleged murderer is truly just *alleged* and a girl that young didn't actually commit such a heinous and horrific crime. I know anything can happen and truth can be stranger and more disturbing than fiction, but something of this nature is better left in the realm of fiction.

Younger kids have done things just as terrible. Children aren't quite as innocent as most people like to believe, I'm afraid.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4