• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
General Questions / Identifying Anime.

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Calathan
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:33 am Reply with quote
Hotate, the ending you describe seems to match the Space Warrior Baldios movie. It has the confrontation between the main character and a buff white villain with a cape, the planet turning red, and the main character returning with his dying girlfriend back to the ruined planet. Watching a clip of it on YouTube, it seems to be exactly like what you described.
Sisi21

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:19 am Reply with quote
Hi! Sorry for posting without introducing myself first but this has been bothering me for days and I'm just itching for an answer.

So I don't remember much about it other than a scene, but here's all the points.

1) I came across it in 2011.

2) I think it was a horror anime(I'm also 95% sure it was a manga)...

3) a child has a faithful animal companion who is their only friend and who lives outside. One day they went out and left the animal alone and someone else came across it. They accidentally hurt it and instead of taking it to a vet or something they kill it by chopping its head off.

The child comes back and sees his/her headless companion and the body is being chewed on by another animal(a cat? Or a rat?). The kid blames the animal for the death and from then on has a pathological hatred/fear(?) of it.

And that's unfortunately all I remember. Any help at all would really appreciated! Thank you!
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:57 pm Reply with quote
Do Japanese schools actually not have locked lockers for their shoes? Or is it just an anime thing? I find it completely silly that bullies in anime have free control over people's locker.
MacAttack270

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:50 am Reply with quote
@ dtm42, Key, and Dessa

It looks like the general consensus is to watch F/SN first, so I guess I'll go ahead and hit that one up first. Thanks for the responses and perspectives! I'll check back at a later date and let you know how it went.
skaly

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:41 pm Reply with quote
This seemed like as good a place as any for my question.

Can anyone suggest some good anime podcasts? Looking for some focused, in-depth discussion on various related topics (e.g., storytelling/themes, reviews, industry practices, controversies...).
Ignatz

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 1:13 am Reply with quote
^Have you tried ANNCast?
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:22 pm Reply with quote
Alright I tried other places, but I couldn't get the correct response. Two people thought of Voices of a Distant Star, but when I skimmed the episode it didn't match my description.

I watched an anime/ova/movie about space travel a few years ago. The animation was pretty good so it has to be a recent anime. There was a guy and I believe his lover. The girl is going to space so she is in a rocket/ship with other people. The guy didn't go. The rocket/ship malfunctions during lift off. Now my memory is hazy. Either the guy somehow saves the girl or the ship crashes and everyone dies. Anyone know what anime this is?
jim.diggins.5

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:13 pm Reply with quote
Hi this is my first post, I'm looking for an anime I saw on the sci-fi channel when they used to air their marathons. These students keep disappearing and the world continues to disappear or get smaller, towards the end it's just the building they're at that's left. Someone goes over the edge and sees giant statues of some of the missing people holding up the land they're on, anyone know what anime this is?
pibburns

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:24 pm Reply with quote
jim.diggins.5 wrote:
Hi this is my first post, I'm looking for an anime I saw on the sci-fi channel when they used to air their marathons. These students keep disappearing and the world continues to disappear or get smaller, towards the end it's just the building they're at that's left. Someone goes over the edge and sees giant statues of some of the missing people holding up the land they're on, anyone know what anime this is?

This is probably the second Urusei Yatsura movie Beautiful Dreamer.
jim.diggins.5

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:41 am Reply with quote
That's it, thank you very much.
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 11:54 pm Reply with quote
@WhiteHairGirls

Was it Dragonaut - The Resonance? If I remember correctly, in the first episode, the dude's entire family boards a ship launching into a space but the ship ends up blowing up.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 12:05 am Reply with quote
EmbraceMe wrote:
@WhiteHairGirls

Was it Dragonaut - The Resonance? If I remember correctly, in the first episode, the dude's entire family boards a ship launching into a space but the ship ends up blowing up.

OMG YES thank you. I guess I remembered the details wrong but this is the anime. I was fearing that it was some dream since no one could give me an answer when I asked multiple sites.
Otacon57

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 1:47 am Reply with quote
Wow, I think I've watched this one before
Kimiko_0

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 3:31 am Reply with quote
I'd like to try this question again. (I asked before, six years ago, but didn't find an answer then.)

Back in the mid-'90s, MTV Europe (might be known to some as MTV UK, as that's what it still was back then) broadcast a few anime movies (possibly some longer OVAs).

One of them was certainly Akira, another I'm pretty sure was Patlabor. In total there were I think about 4 or 5 movies. At least 3 in any case. Fitting with the block's timeslot, they were mostly edgier sci-fi/horror/supernatural, no magical girls and other fluffy kids' stuff.

The presenter/introducer was Ingo Schmoll. This places it between '93 and '96. I'm sure I watched it on my own TV, which I bought in '94.

I don't know if this short-running block had a name really. It aired around midnight or so, once a week.

I've searched both ANN and elsewhere, but couldn't find anything. Anything that long ago is almost prehistoric in internet terms.

Does anyone remember what I'm talking about, maybe even remember more?
pibburns

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 2:44 am Reply with quote
WhiteHairGirls wrote:
I am trying to remember an anime I watched last year. I am not sure if these characters were mains or just side characters for one specific episode. There is a kid that wants to be a hero so at night he would sneak out to "beat" the bad guys. The bad guys were actually thugs paid by his father. The thugs would pretend to lose the kid. Later on the thugs wanted more money but the dad couldn't pay. I think the dad gets saved by the main character.

This plot sequence occurs in the Yu-Gi-Oh! manga. See the details at:

http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Yu-Gi-Oh!_-_Duel_022
http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Yu-Gi-Oh!_-_Duel_023

I have never watched the Yu-Gi-Oh! anime series so I can't say which episodes might have adapted these manga chapters. I'd suggest though that Yu-Gi-Oh! is your best bet as the source of the episode you watched.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 486 of 569