• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
House of 1000 Manga - Danza and Tesoro

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
albanian

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:03 pm Reply with quote
It may take a while to get used to Ono's style and ambience, but once she has you hooked there's no getting enough of her fascinating and quirky output. I have not yet been anything less than completely captivated by any of her work.
Tenbyakugon

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:08 pm Reply with quote
Her works are quiet, warm, and beautiful. She makes it easy to get sentimental when reading them and you just feel a sense of comfort when doing so. She is probably one of my favorite authors, so thank you for writing an article that brought justice to these two.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:39 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
She lives in Berkeley with two birds, a cat, and a man.

Ms. Garrity may want to update this. Smile
katscradle

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:45 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
To be honest, though, my favorite piece may be the three-page wordless comic about a bear ordering doughnuts that opens the anthology. Because they have honey doughnuts! Obviously a bear would go to the bakery that makes honey doughnuts.

Quote:
Viz also scores some bonus points by printing Tesoro in snazzy sepia-toned ink, with the bear story and bonus sketches in full color; it's a particularly nice-looking edition.

Shocked
I have a digital edition of Tesoro and there is neither a story about a bear with donuts, or color beyond the cover in it. I just went and looked at Kindle's preview since I haven't seen the print edition. For some reason there are several more pages (like 7) in the Kindle edition than my NOOk Comics version apparently as well. I'm glad I read this article or I wouldn't have had a clue. I guess I’ll have to get a paper copy.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:25 pm Reply with quote
I remember seeing both "Not Simple" and "Danza." They're both fairly interesting. "Not Simple's" set in England,Australia,and New York. It's an odd manga but a decent read. As for "Danza,"someone not familiar with this or manga in general might think it's about the actor Tony Danza.
Well,it's not. About the section with the guy meeting his father-in-law for the first time,I have to correct you,Ms. Garrity. The guy's American,albeit of German descent.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1