• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Comic Artist and His Assistants Episodes 1-12 Streaming

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
configspace

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:46 pm Reply with quote
It's on my queue, but I dunno, Carl's review now makes want to watch it even more Twisted Evil

And I seriously don't think recommending potential fans watch Monthly Girls' Nozaki-kun instead is good advice at all. Two completely different audiences and different demographic publications.

I'll still watch Monthly Girls' Nozaki-kun and I'll likely enjoy both, but that's because I'm not expecting one to be like the other.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:52 pm Reply with quote
Wow, ANN killed an anime with a D grade! That in itself is a little miracle. I have routinely seen worst series get C grades. Bravo Carl, for defying ANN's myopic stance of apparently only giving grades between A and C.
thekingsdinner

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 1:01 pm Reply with quote
I haven't watched this show but the first impression I got from it was the usual "guy-does-something-and-girl-punches/kicks-him" routine... but this time as a whole show.

After reading the review it sounds to me like every character in this show is also very annoying. Yeeeah I think I'd rather avoid it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
IZFSLE

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 1:02 pm Reply with quote
Wow, what do you know? Another review of an ecchi show that criticizes it for being ecchi.

Attack on Titan had too much action.

Another had too much blood.

Every ecchi show in existence has too many sexual elements. Yet another reviewer who is unknowingly making himself seem stupid for criticizing the genre instead of the show.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 1:07 pm Reply with quote
IMO this is a comedy no different from Hoozuki no Reitetsu in the sense that if you like this kind comedy it will be amusing, otherwise you will want to throw the disc into the nearest garbage bin.

If Aito was like the main character in Aesthetica of a Rogue Hero I would have dropped this, but he is a goofy pervert (not a seasoned womanizer) who is drop dead sincere about what he says, you can clearly see what he is thinking a mile away. If anything what this show lacks is more interaction between the characters AND more of "awakened" Ashisu (she was HOT!).

I will disagree with the review that the animating studio has no love for this series, what is clear as the light of day is that it was done on the cheap, but at the very least I do not remember they recycling any scene like in better known shows.

Last edited by mangamuscle on Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:52 pm; edited 2 times in total
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 1:34 pm Reply with quote
the review was almost spot on butI disagree with two things.

Quote:
He works with a team of assistants, all of whom, through some strange and inexplicable twist of fate, are beautiful women.

it's never said or implied that they are beautiful, it gets really tiring when anime watchers assume the characters are beautiful wehn most of the time they are just average, a character is not beautiful unless stated otherwise and going by interactions most of the time they are average looking.

I also disagree wiht the C's they should have been Ds too, I have not seena show this cheap since chocosister, and unlike other cheap shows this one makes no effort to hide it, chocosister had very clever use of still shots and reuse of frames, the best this show does is the shinbo-static images parodies.

and I am not against the echi genre at all, I always watch at least one echi show per season, I find aito to be even more abusive than the guy from aesthetica, at least teh guy from aesthetica has the guts to do what he wants and puts up with the consequences and most of the time what he does is dandelyon, though love that hurts even if it has the intention to heal, aito is just a poor excuse of a coward who extorts the girls to do what he wants, it's horrible how he abuses his assistant becase otehrwise she would be without a job and it's horrible how he physically abuses the weak little girl because she is the only one weaker than him.

about teh jokes being gross/sexual, that's also not a problem, shows like hen semi have far more gross jokes (eating pubic hair) , mitsudomoe has grade schoolers doing sex jokes and somehow this shows feels even more ackward and offensive than those two. it's also the fact that most of the jokes are not eve funny, for me it was like an episode was good if one of the jokes was a hit.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 1:42 pm Reply with quote
I get the feeling they made this like that on purpose to try and poison the genre with the this-is-getting-old, we-need-to-move-on infection. I hope it works. Wink
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 1:46 pm Reply with quote
maximilianjenus wrote:
it's also the fact that most of the jokes are not even funny, for me it was like an episode was good if one of the jokes was a hit.

Like I said before, if you do not think it is funny you will not like it, but you have to watch at least one episode to know for sure, there is NO way you can gauge it by reading other peoples comment (unless your tastes are the same, like a twin brother or something).
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 1:54 pm Reply with quote
IZFSLE wrote:
Wow, what do you know? Another review of an ecchi show that criticizes it for being ecchi.

Attack on Titan had too much action.

Another had too much blood.

Every ecchi show in existence has too many sexual elements. Yet another reviewer who is unknowingly making himself seem stupid for criticizing the genre instead of the show.

No. It's criticized for being "stupid" ecchi. Using a common overly perverted protagonist that has CERTAINLY never been done before but trying to justify his obnoxious behavior with him having a heart of gold underneath. It doesn't help that his assistant doesn't have much self respect. She punches him for saying stupid crap but when he asks if he can watch her groping herself because it's for his work she agrees? Yeah...........good quality stuff right there. Totally deserving of at the very least a A- right?

The show is good on a it's so stupid it's funny level but there really isn't anything beyond that to praise it for. This is low brow ecchi at it's best. It's work for the demographic but if the specific demographic is the only thing your show appeals too how does it deserve to be called anything more than medicore? At least shows like Highschool DxD have decent story and characters to offset the fanservice.

Last edited by leatherhead333 on Wed Aug 06, 2014 1:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 1:55 pm Reply with quote
I watched the whole series, it could be implied by my comments about the cheap animation or about what was uncomfortable to watch, the only anime I have ever dropped is virus.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 2:10 pm Reply with quote
leatherhead333 wrote:
No. It's criticized for being "stupid" ecchi.

I would not label this show "ecchi" unless we call it "ecchi comedy". It can't be a pure ecchi show since the levels of fan service aren't up to squat (compare it with whatever other series with the label ecchi), it does not has the budget to have nice animations or even suggestive character designs nor it goes deep into any borderline hentai fetishes for people to think this show is all about ecchi.
Shikiari

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 2:11 pm Reply with quote
I actually loved this show a lot. It was 12 minutes a week of fun and stupidity, so in my opinion a D was harsh. There is definitely something mentally wrong with Aito though, I really don't know why Ashisu puts up with him. Laughing

But I guess it's one of those "marmite" shows - You either love it or you hate it.
Larg

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 2:13 pm Reply with quote
I'd strongly disagree with the review of this anime given that the reviewer confused the anime with a human resources' mandatory sexual harassment video. I'm not arguing that the sexual harassment portrayed in 'Comic Artist' is at all appropriate. However, to me, the humor and fan service demonstrated between the comic artist and his adult assistants is far more appropriate than the 90% of anime fan service that usually depicts high school girls in various forms of nudity.

'Comic Artist...' isn't a 24 minute episode show, but a 12 minute episode. Such series are usually gag series that involve lewd humor- reminiscent of 'Yondemazu yo Azazel-san'. To compare 'Comic Artist' to 'Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun' is akin to comparing 'Kimi ni Todoke' to 'Hen Semi'. Furthermore, 'Comic Artist' is a show that's made for a male audience, while 'Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun' is geared to a shoujo audience. To my knowledge, Japan's anime and manga industry doesn't usually produce mangas that pander to a 'trans' gender neutrality genre, and even if there were, I've yet to see them animated.

'Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun' is an excellent show, but it's a 24 minute shoujo adaptation involving a young girl chasing her love. It's the classic 'love comedy' that's a staple of every Anime season, reminiscent of 'Bokura wa Minna Kawaisou', and arguably comparable to 'Love Stage!'. Which I'd mention because if the reviewer was taking this show as an accurate reflection of a manga's production, he'd notice the fact that an adult male ecchi author would have four female assistants, all dedicated to manga, and none of them would be fujoshi to begin with. How realistic is that?! Though that, admittedly, may be a stereotype that the reviewer may condemn, as it isn't progressive or liberal, nor accurately reflects on current moral standards.

Frankly, I'm surprised that from a 12 minute episode show the reviewer expected a human resources documentary on sexual conduct in the workplace, from a story of an ecchi mangaka and his harem. If you're looking for an entertaining comedy of manga production, might I suggest 'Mangirl!', an enjoyable anime in it's own right, much shorter than 'Comic Artist...', and avoids the fan service that is characteristic of a Seinen title involving an ecchi producing mangaka. At least the reviewer showed off his vocabulary to remind us how intellectually superior and politically correct his views are on the subject. Hillary Clinton would be proud. It reminds us that such shows as 'Comic Artist...' should be shunned by society or viewed solely by lesser beings, as harems and fan service should only be portrayed using underage high school girls.

In summary, I'd give Comic Artist a B+. It's derivative, it follows tried and true 'cookie cutter' characters, but you're watching this show for crude humor, which it delivers. The audience is supposed to relate to the pathetic mangaka who is reflective of the audience watching the show. It's a self depreciating humor that mocks the author who wrote this and the industry itself- as mangakas often put in long hours without much of a social life. It cast features adults, which automatically boosts the grade up a letter. There's not enough shows involving adult casts. Meanwhile, the reviewer would do well to contrast 'Kenzen Robo Daimidaler' to Dostoevsky, as it would allow him to demonstrate his intellectual prowess while showing off his refined, cultured, politically correct tastes.
Stretch2424

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 2:16 pm Reply with quote
There's one episode in which Aito finds the ratings of his strip slumping because he's been relying on pantsu too much at the expense of the characters. I wonder if the makers realized just how true that criticism is about comedy anime in general. I don't know, because the topic quickly shifts elsewhere, as if they had stumbled upon this point by accident and quickly ran away from it once they realized what had happened. If they had just gone a little farther, and made a little more fun of themselves (with halfway decent jokes), this show might have broken out of the pack and become genuinely exceptional. But for the most part it is just as guilty of taking the easy way out and refusing to stretch the envelope as is the average series. It is modestly amusing but nothing to write home about.

Actually, while one character seems to be nothing more than the obligatory childlike girl for lolicons, and another is the obligatory ditzy big-boobed girl for guys who are into that, maybe the others slowly grew modest personalities which makes them more attractive. There's Sena, the original assistant, who hopes to become a mangaka herself someday, but hasn't had much luck. There's the editor who has known the artist since childhood, and almost fell in love with him. He himself doesn't seem to have much of a personality beyond his perversion, unfortunately. At least he is too much of a wimp to try to force himself onto any of the girls. If a show cannot be LOL funny, does it take all that much effort to inject a little personality into the characters? What if the show had dared to make a little fun of perversion? And depicted Aito as a clueless guy who is losing whatever chance of romance he ever had due to his simple-minded perversion? And perhaps the girls realize this, and try to re-train him because they pity him? That, at a stroke, might have revolutionized the show. Endless possibilities leap to mind, but in reality it is what it is, and at least I don't actively dislike anyone in the cast.
jmfsilenthill

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 2:31 pm Reply with quote
I dropped this show like a bad habit. It's just the same shit over and over again.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8