• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Wake Up, Girls! Anime Gets Animal Mascot Spinoff Shorts

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:31 am Reply with quote
This looks so freaking cute. No joke.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:37 am Reply with quote
Glad to see that they will continue to push for more WUG CDs to be made and a series of animated shorts won't be nearly as much a risk so even a minor boost in CD sales would be acceptable. It's a cute idea for the shorts too, so here's hoping they'll be entertaining.
Michael Nathanael T.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 2:57 am Reply with quote
Oh! Cute!
誤称

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 2:58 am Reply with quote
Hey! Let's rip off Idolm@ster more! ANIME IS SAVED!
kevinx59

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 3:16 am Reply with quote
Shame it's not a second season, but more WUG is always welcome, and the designs look real cute. It's pretty funny that sweet Manami and timid Airi are a tiger and shark, two of the most fearsome animals.

Also is the studio that is doing this called Order? Or is it a misspelling and it is really Ordet like the TV series?

Last edited by kevinx59 on Sun Aug 10, 2014 3:22 am; edited 1 time in total
Takamachi Ryoko

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 3:20 am Reply with quote
^Um just because it's an idol show and they put a chibi version of it doesn't mean it's rip off. Beyond the Boundary has an idol SD as well. Even if it's a rip off, if it's good, I'll watch anyway.

As for the show, never understood why they associate the girls with predators so they save it just for this one part. Too bad it's not a 2nd season, I enjoyed WUG for what it's worth. It looks cute though, I like how Airi shark's eyes look sleepy. And if it's good enough to spin a 2nd season then good.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 4:40 am Reply with quote
誤称 wrote:
Hey! Let's rip off Idolm@ster more! ANIME IS SAVED!

Not only did Idolmaster rip off Evangelion with with Xenoglossia, it also ripped off Petit Eva! This comment is made purely to make fun of the quoted comment above, it is not meant to be taken seriously

This might shock you, but Idolm@ster (and Evangelion) was not the first to have super deformed/chibi shorts.
Kyofu

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 4:55 am Reply with quote
Takamachi Ryoko wrote:
As for the show, never understood why they associate the girls with predators so they save it just for this one part.

When WUG was at Anime Central this past May I attended one of their panels and someone from the crowd asked about this. The director Yamamoto simply stated that the girls were given animals that were more on the ferocious side to contrast from the typical 'cute' animals like cats, dogs, rabbits, etc that one would expect. Funnily enough, when asked about their thoughts on the animals they were given Yoshino Aoyama said that she finds polar bears cute!
Michael Nathanael T.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 5:25 am Reply with quote
kevinx59 wrote:
Shame it's not a second season, but more WUG is always welcome, and the designs look real cute. It's pretty funny that sweet Manami and timid Airi are a tiger and shark, two of the most fearsome animals.

Also is the studio that is doing this called Order? Or is it a misspelling and it is really Ordet like the TV series?

Shark is afraid of big sea turtles (this is true). Tiger is afraid of lions (of course, lion is the king of jungle). And a lion is afraid of some bisons or big bulls. And bulls are afraid of humans. And humans are afraid of super little viruses.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 6:17 am Reply with quote
Good to know the well-regarded, sensitive, and more "realistic" idol anime is keeping it real.

Wait, what?
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 6:19 am Reply with quote
Kyofu wrote:
The director Yamamoto simply stated that the girls were given animals that were more on the ferocious side to contrast from the typical 'cute' animals like cats, dogs, rabbits, etc that one would expect.
I see Yamanakan is still saving anime as usual
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:15 am Reply with quote
SquadmemberRitsu wrote:
Kyofu wrote:
The director Yamamoto simply stated that the girls were given animals that were more on the ferocious side to contrast from the typical 'cute' animals like cats, dogs, rabbits, etc that one would expect.

Can someone give me a concise explanation of why Yamamoto is so widely and deeply hated within US anime fandom, and why he deserves this endless sarcastic "saving anime" joke? I went to his WUG! panels at Anime Central and liked what the guy had to say. Surely he did or said something to deserve this level of shit from anime fans, right?
Takamachi Ryoko

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:56 am Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
SquadmemberRitsu wrote:
Kyofu wrote:

Can someone give me a concise explanation of why Yamamoto is so widely and deeply hated within US anime fandom, and why he deserves this endless sarcastic "saving anime" joke? I went to his WUG! panels at Anime Central and liked what the guy had to say. Surely he did or said something to deserve this level of shit from anime fans, right?

Hmm, first time hearing this "Yamamoto saving anime" joke, got me curious and googled and it actually in one of the searching recommendations. I've seen some of his works like Fractale, WUG!, Kannagi, while some of them are flawed, they aren't that bad, just worth watching. I don't see what to hate the guy, he's a decent director compare to Seiji Kishi. Dude sucks at everything aside from comedy. That guy is like the Michael Bay of anime.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:33 am Reply with quote
WUG done outstaged my favorite Cinderella Girl, I've wanted a crocodile kigurumi for Nina in the series for the longest and an raptor one as well step it up Idolm@ster and get Nina some sort of raptor kigurumi, Yamanakan is taking her thunder away.

The shorts should be quite the adorable watch.
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:04 am Reply with quote
Well let just hope that the short will be better then the anime
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2