• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Crowdsourcing - Anime/Manga/Merch.

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:33 am Reply with quote
Yeah, and that was 30 years ago. It doesn't matter today how well Robotech did back then, it's kind of easy to fall in the red when your revenue streams dry up. If that 80s success and profit were eternal, they wouldn't be needing to beg for so much money. What an inane comment.
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:44 pm Reply with quote
walw: They make money off their DVDs, that 'sequel' from FUNimation, and that movie deal.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:33 pm Reply with quote
And yet they still have to beg for a large chunk of money and I imagine this will be their MO from now on.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:40 am Reply with quote
You, too, can fund Kindaichi on DVD or support the legal subbing and streaming of Dororo and Gordian.

Edit: Also, this status update:
Quote:
Mami 2 is waiting for Pierrot to get the goods, DVDs are ready. Dear Brother 3 and Black Jack 2 are in progress.

Edit 2: Oh, and Animeigo's currently checking and correcting the BGC discs, and had this to say:
Quote:
I will be running a panel at Otakon talking about CrowdProduction and will be showing some of the BGC content. If you are going to be there, I can deliver your patch -- and maybe, if the shipping gods smile upon us, coins and keychains -- at the con.
F-Man

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 3:37 pm Reply with quote
For the love of all that is good and holy, please let Dororo be funded as fast as possible. I have waited so many years...
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 11:38 pm Reply with quote
F-Man: If you want it funded, tell your friends.
F-Man

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:19 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
F-Man: If you want it funded, tell your friends.

Oh, I have.

As well as using my admin access privileges on the Tezuka.fanpage on Facebook.

And my blogs (including an Anime Sols fanblog on Tumblr).

And Tezuka forums.

And the Blu-ray.com forums.

And nagging people with popular blogs.

C'mon everyone. 5 bucks. I'm going to contribute this amount to Gordian as well, even though I don't care about it. These goals are so low that it's almost criminal to not contribute even the smallest amount. 500 people contributing a tiny amount each could make this happen in just a couple days. Millions of people contributing nothing won't.
HyugaHinata

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:29 am Reply with quote
Please, please, PLEASE tell Vertical to license the Kaze to Ki no Uta manga! Very Happy

The anime's way too short and un-dramatic. The manga, on the other hand, is closer to Monster in feel and impact.
zawa113

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:52 am Reply with quote
^I dunno, seems more like a Fantagraphics title first off, and second, I don't think Vertical has a desire to license old manga that only the cool people would buy. Because there simply aren't enough cool people. I don't blame them, they need to make a profit to stay in business after all. I'd buy it, and you'd buy it, and the coolest people here would buy it, and we'd all try to make other people cool by convincing them to buy it, but that's still not enough.
Fronzel

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:01 am Reply with quote
Wasn't Anime Sols supposed to put up episodes 1-3 of a bunch of series under the idea that the ones that people actually liked would survive? Are more coming?

The funding drives for subbing the series are only for ten more episodes (1-13). Does that mean it would take five or six of these drives (~$14,000?) just to get Gordian's 73 episodes fully subbed?

I suppose it's worth noting that Anime Sols has only ever successfully funded series that have been fully fansubbed in the past. Wouldn't this new system make further such examples impossible? Who's going to put up with thousands of dollars having to be being paid just to re-sub a series before paying more to get the DVDs?
F-Man

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:50 pm Reply with quote
Fronzel wrote:
Wasn't Anime Sols supposed to put up episodes 1-3 of a bunch of series under the idea that the ones that people actually liked would survive? Are more coming?

Yeah, 9 such series were supposed to be coming. No idea when we'll see the other 7.

Fronzel wrote:
The funding drives for subbing the series are only for ten more episodes (1-13). Does that mean it would take five or six of these drives (~$14,000?) just to get Gordian's 73 episodes fully subbed?

Seems to be the plan.

Fronzel wrote:
I suppose it's worth noting that Anime Sols has only ever successfully funded series that have been fully fansubbed in the past.

And now they're going to get these shows some subs of their own. Though admittedly, Dororo was getting fansubbed, but only at the rate of one episode per year. I welcome Anime Sols's interference with open arms.

Fronzel wrote:
Wouldn't this new system make further such examples impossible? Who's going to put up with thousands of dollars having to be being paid just to re-sub a series before paying more to get the DVDs?

A lot of people seem really displeased with the idea to fund subs before having to fund DVDs, but I don't really see it. These goals are so small that they could be reached with only $5 pledges. What's so bad about paying $5 to support the series we want to see on DVD as soon as possible? Meanwhile contributing nothing is not going to help make those DVD runs come any sooner.

It sucks, but it's a direct result of anime fans lack of support toward Anime Sols. They gotta get out of the red somehow.
zawa113

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:51 am Reply with quote
I just got an email from AnimeSols, answering some of these very questions!

First off, they aren't going to have deadlines for the streaming pledges, they're just going to keep them up until they get enough to stream more episodes. To quote them: "These goals don't have any deadlines either... We'll keep them going until we get enough pledges to sub the next episodes!"

And secondly is when the other shows are coming.

AnimeSols wrote:
We've got 7 more shows lined up for streaming support goals! Every 2 weeks we'll put up 3 episodes of another 2 shows for support!

7/26
Goku no Daibouken (directed by Gisabur? Sugii !)
Space Ace (The first show ever produced by Tatsunoko Productions, right before Speed Racer)

8/9
Time Bokan (the first in what became the Time Bokan series, which only really became a hit in Japan with the release of Yatterman)
Temple the Balloonist (Honestly even I've never heard of this one... It was popular in Europe I guess? Check it out!)

8/30
Wonder 3 (Just ask Mike Toole)
Kerokko Dematan (One of the "cute anthropomorphic animals' lives are filled with terrible childhood trauma inducing death and destruction" series of shows from Tatsunoko, which also includes Hutch the Honeybee. Just try and get through these 3 episodes without shedding a tear.)

9/13
Belfy and Lil'bit (This was dubbed and shown on TV as "The Lil'bits" back in the early 90s by Saban. Check out the original Japanese version for the first time!)
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:45 pm Reply with quote
Animeigo's pushing BGC back to September due to sub bandwidth issues. Crying or Very sad
F-Man

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 3:04 pm Reply with quote
Under the Dog Kickstarter

I think the original post could use an update.
publicenemy333

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 2:35 pm Reply with quote
F-Man wrote:
Under the Dog Kickstarter

I think the original post could use an update.

Looks like it could be cool, but asking for 580K is probably gonna be a bit difficult, most anime kickstarters, besides Little Witch Acadamia 2 dont get that close to that much. Unless 4chan starts swarming over this like LWA2, Im a lil skeptical over whether this can make it or not.

I'll show my support though, I'd like to see it made
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 13 of 30