Importing Aniplex Titles.

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:26 pm Reply with quote
Nico87 wrote:
UK licenses stuff from USA, not from Japan.

That is only the case when a US company already holds the UK rights (as it the case for a number of FUNimation shows and some Sentai shows). A lot of licenses are done directly with Japan, and the English materials are often provided by the Japanese licensor as well.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Leland Lee

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:30 pm Reply with quote
I was always under the impression that the original rights had to be obtained from Japan, then the English materials have to be licensed from the US companies.

Too much confusion in the air about the subject. But, either way, the process is still very similar all around, so I think "sub-licensor" is a good word for it. :3
Polycell
Thread KillerThread Killer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 3:29 am Reply with quote
That's how it often works, but it's not unheard of for a company in another part of the Anglosphere to grab their local rights; this is how Madman got Nichijou. Unfortunately shipping from Oz is expensive, and it's not much cheaper to import from Australia.
Leland Lee

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 5:50 pm Reply with quote
Looks like as of the Gurren Lagann news, this thread's relevance got an upgrade!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/​Gurren-​Lagann-​Ultimate-​Edition-​Blu-​Ray/​dp/​B00HSHDGHW/​ref=​sr_1_1?​ie=​UTF8&​qid=​1410735017&​sr=​8-​1&​keywords=​gurren+​lagann

It's still that not cheap, but at least you're paying roughly $100 less. And getting a quality box set to boot. :3
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2