• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Interview: May'n [2014-08-11]

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
omiya

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:18 am Reply with quote
Thanks for the interview and photo gallery.

I've seen May'n 4 times now (Animelo Summer Live 2011/2012/2013 and Animax Musix 2013 day 2), and she has always been professional and engaging with her audience (and I might add that each performance has had both Macross Frontier and other songs in it).

She does seem to show more of her capabilities as a collaborator than just as a solo singer (listing just collaborations here):

Animelo Summer Live 2011:

Butter-fly / Hironobu Kageyama + May'n (Digimon OP)

Animelo Summer Live 2012:

Oshiete A to Z ~ Ready Go! / Yukari Tamura + May'n (B Gata H Kei OP) & (Ookami-san to Shichinin no Nakama-tachi OP)

Animax Musix 2014 day 2:

夢光年 / May'n&LiSA (影山ヒロノブ 「宇宙船サジタリウス」ED)
紅蓮の弓矢 / May'n&FLOW (Linked Horizon 「進撃の巨人」前期OP)

Interesting points about the distinction of anison from J-Pop in general, being able to cover a wider range of emotions. To me, the best of the anison that one hears at the live events conveys more intensity that listening to general J-pop.

Please do a few more interviews/articles if any opportunities come up!
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:50 am Reply with quote
That was a cool read.

In addition to the other OP songs mentioned and ofcourse the great Macross Frontier ones, I also really liked her Shangri-La anime OP, it was a great and catchy song.
Dfens

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:11 pm Reply with quote
May'n is one of the only Japanese acts I would like to see in concert but unfortunately like last time she appeared in SF it was too much of a effort to make it.

I really wish she would perform early in the day instead of late at night, hell maybe even a little closer. It always seems to be either SF or LA why not somewhere else?

Driving 60 plus miles each way and getting home around 2-3 AM in the morning, no real parking, and the fact public transportation doesn't run that late at night doesn't help.
Saphiro01

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:33 pm Reply with quote
<3 <3 L O V E May'N !!!! Very Happy Cool

I was lucky enough to get to see her, Megumi Nakajima and Yoko Kanno in concert at Anime Expo. If I ever ran into her again I would thank her for one of the best moments of my life Anime smile.

I had to sit through the entire concert because I'm so tall so I hope she understood that I was trying not to block the view of the short girls behind me (it was the first time I ever got front row seats at a concert O_O).
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:04 pm Reply with quote
Whenever I hear May'n do an anime OP, I just pretend it's Sheryl. That actually made Shangri-La slightly more tolerable.
omiya

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:41 pm Reply with quote
It was sad that Megumi Nakajima put her singing career on hold, having performed on a different day of Animelo Summer Live 2013 to May'n - it would have been great to hear some Macross Frontier songs as duets.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:26 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Do you feel that there is a distinct difference between standard J-Pop and anison?

Great question, and I love her response. A lot of people wont understand because of the language of course but I did notice that awhile ago when I was getting into J-music. I do love standard Jpop/rock still though...There's still lots of great musicians who write songs about things similar to anisong.
mdo7

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:49 pm Reply with quote
This was a interesting interview, thanks ANN for talking with May'n. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
belvadeer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:51 pm Reply with quote
I finished watching Macross Frontier a month or so ago. Absolutely loved the music! :)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1