• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:28 pm Reply with quote
Mai really robbing the cradle! Laughing

DBZ shows it can still pack the theaters after all these years like no other TV anime can. Showtimes were sold-out.

PurpleWarrior13 wrote:

According to FUNi's website, Kyle Hebert also returned as the narrator, but I can't remember a time when he spoke.

To ruin the mood? Wink

rizuchan wrote:

but I could have sworn Bra was older than Pan? But she's nowhere to be found in this movie... and with Bulma's copious drinking in this movie we better hope she's not secretly pregnant!

It is because she's heavily drinking that it happens afterwards! My Bulma! Laughing
Tsukento

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:29 pm Reply with quote
casualfan wrote:
Great movie overall. The only downside for me is the Super Saiyan God design feels too simple and bland. I actually prefer the fan version over it. Well it is Toriyama's preference I guess so can't really complain.
I'm also hoping that the next movie takes a darker feel kind of like in Broly or Cooler's movies.

That's the thing, though. The point to Beerus, Super Saiyan God Goku and spoiler[Whis] was to show that just because an enemy is incredibly strong doesn't mean they have to always look it. Heck, Majin Boo was living proof this.

As for the darker movies, this was needed. It was needed to bring in older fans, ones who got into the series more recently and just an overall general audience. It was a nice change of pace from what most seem to think DBZ is all about, nothing but fighting.

(And please, no more Broli. Dear god, no.)
thelastgogeta

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:54 pm Reply with quote
Yo! Son Goku and His Friends Return!! was a much better watch which avoided feeling like a cheap attempt to continue the series riding on Toriyama's name despite most of his contributions both later in Dragon Ball (talking about all 42 volumes in the manga) and after it being nonsensical and poorly written.

I wasn't too concerned with the timeline mix up (though if that is a problem that is another point), but the absolute disregard of power balance through out the movie. It may be a movie and be today's Toriyama but I expect things like Super Saiyan 3 Goku being one shotted while other characters do much better (spoiler[including Super Saiyan 2 Vegeta who literally puts up the best and most overwhelming fight in the movie in a rage - despite how his rage moments never ended well against the likes of Cell and others])...

The biggest thing is the requirement for Super Saiyan God. I was considering quoting the post about Tarble to say how "he isn't a Super Saiyan" but remembered that this movie didn't care whether the five Super Saiyans were:

1) Around the same power in general, the likes of Gohan, Vegeta, Goten, Trunks and unborn Pan helped.
2) Actual Super Saiyans, again... Unborn Pan.
3) Actually born prior to helping out, Unborn Pan.

Nope, I can accept the design despite whatever my feelings were at the initial teasing ("at least it isn't validating many fan forms or SSJ4 >_>") but how this seems to ignore common sense in the action, fails to give the other characters a chance of a shot (Do moments of everyone else failing before waiting for or giving their energy to Goku to do it, count?).

I do like comedic romps than the usual Z Movie fare more on paper, but with the expectations of being a good successor to the original tale, this fell fall for me...

Oh and that was a lot of words before I mention that I haven't seen the extended version and perhaps there will be more to please me but the other things seem pretty core to the story even if they could be mostly remedied by requiring four Super Saiyans (and me to suspend my disbelief of how convenient that is) and adjusting some fights.

On that note, I'll quote VegettoEX from another thread on Kanzenshuu:

Quote:
They're not concerned with defining an official canon. They're concerned with producing new things and taking your money in the least offensive way possible.

Perhaps I'm thinking and getting annoyed by it too much as it was never explicitly tied to canon in more than loose answers in interviews and the general "Toriyama is involved more than usual" sense, but I still expect a DBZ movie to not be this dumb.
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:29 pm Reply with quote
I've never seem anything in the Dragonball franchise before, but I was at the movie theater the other day and saw an ad for it! It really surprised me because they never screen anime films there, especially one that's only a limited showing. I guess that's just a testament to the popularity of the series? I'd probably pay to see it just to support more wide release anime screenings in the west if for nothing else.
casualfan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:50 pm Reply with quote
As a longtime fan I just want to say that Power level has always been inconsistent in DBZ universe. It's pointless trying to make sense of it. Basically power level is just a plot device used to advance the story. DBZ is just about stronger and stronger enemies threatening to ruin the Earth/universe and the Z fighters somehow defeating them. What DBZ excels though is how it can make such a simple formula to be entertaining which I think this movie does it well. It's not supposed to be taken seriously with plot or power analysis.
rizuchan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:17 am Reply with quote
casualfan wrote:
As a longtime fan I just want to say that Power level has always been inconsistent in DBZ universe. It's pointless trying to make sense of it. Basically power level is just a plot device used to advance the story. DBZ is just about stronger and stronger enemies threatening to ruin the Earth/universe and the Z fighters somehow defeating them. What DBZ excels though is how it can make such a simple formula to be entertaining which I think this movie does it well. It's not supposed to be taken seriously with plot or power analysis.

When I was a kid watching DBZ this drove me crazy. "How is Piccolo able to be a match for this guy when the SUPER SAIYANS are getting their butts kicked??" but watching the show when I was older this was something I liked. Super powered characters get their butts kicked when they're being too cocky and otherwise underpowered characters still have their day when conditions favor them.
...That said, I wish DBZ would do a little MORE of that, it was always sad watching formerly strong characters get their butts kicked time after time while waiting for Goku to save them.

enurtsol wrote:

rizuchan wrote:
but I could have sworn Bra was older than Pan? But she's nowhere to be found in this movie... and with Bulma's copious drinking in this movie we better hope she's not secretly pregnant!

It is because she's heavily drinking that it happens afterwards! My Bulma! Laughing

I actually had this thought too. Math be damned, this is my new head canon!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:59 pm Reply with quote
I thought this movie was great. Very Happy It was just a fun entertaining experience, and nostalgic too. Beerus made for a great enemy, and I liked his quirky disposition combined with his not-really-evil persona. I also loved the comedy aspect of it, and I'll also claim to be in the camp of people who liked the light-hearted Dragon Ball a bit ways more than the action-oriented DBZ (though I still really like DBZ too, just maybe not as much), so I warmed up to the movie very quickly. Probably my only gripe would be that they maybe went a little overboard with all the series references, it was nostalgic and I appreciated it for that, but it got to a point where it started to ruin the immersion because it was so noticeable. Otherwise spoken, a great night out at the movies --- I think any fan of the Dragon Ball universe would walk away having had a good time.
thelastgogeta

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:03 am Reply with quote
casualfan wrote:

Yeah, there is a lot of nonsense that I've tolerated and ignored in the past, with the one which harms my recent experience most being Gohan (how half breeds were deliberately written to have all of the benefits of being a Saiyan AND grow in strength much faster) so I'm more fond of the first 16 volumes which experiments more in fights.

I don't see why that is a reason for me to overlook writing which disregards fundamental logic.
nhat

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:48 pm Reply with quote
Second Fire Shadow wrote:
gedata wrote:
Key wrote:
shadow2039 wrote:
I love the movie. I have been a DBZ fan since I was a kid. What's even more awesome is this movie completely retcons GT, which is a HUGE plus for me.

Perhaps you could elaborate on this? Because I didn't see anything in the movie that would retcon GT.

don't you find it odd that Super Saiyan God mode is completely forgotten in place of Super Saiyan 4? Not saying that alone retcons GT instantly, but it's enough to further cast doubts over whether or not it is canon.

The retcon that Battle Of Gods provides against GT is that in the movie the Pilaf Gang are children, yet in Dragon Ball GT, which would have supposedly took place ten years after Battle Of Gods, they are all very old and there age is actually a minor plot point in the beginning of GT. So unless the Pilaf Gang aged dramatically in ten years, GT really can't exist, or at least the beginning portion of the show never happened.

Oh, and Battle Of Gods kicked ass! Smile

Well let's say they're about 7 or 8, about 10 yrs time they'll be around 17 or 18 which seems reasonable... and wish to be kids again lol
nhat

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:54 pm Reply with quote
My only issue with the voice is with Chris Sabat. Sheron sounds too much like Piccolo, they should have someone else voiced him
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:41 pm Reply with quote
I went to see this in the theater and enjoyed myself thoroughly. I'd already seen and liked the movie to begin with, but I was itching to see it on the big screen with other fans of the franchise and I wasn't disappointed. It's not only a great experience but very likely Funimation's crowning achievement in DB-related English dubs, with a good script and the cast firing on all cylinders. Schemmel, Sabat, and especially Rial really solidified themselves as the English dub voices of those characters. It was also nice hearing Hebert and Edwards again, too.

Of course, it being DBZ, it's nothing groundbreaking, but just a fun, somewhat exciting entry into the vast ocean of the franchise, and Funimation deserves the victory lap it's having. I only hope Toei's 2015 effort turns out as well as this one did.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3