• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods Earns US$2.2 Million in N. America, Adds Tuesday Screenings

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Яeverse

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:31 pm Reply with quote
What about Saturday earnings?

Is this even good, how much did it cost Funi?
Running Wild

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:32 pm Reply with quote
I already saw Vegeta sing about bingo on Youtube, so I don't need to see the movie now.
ivanchoFAA

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:03 pm Reply with quote
2.2 millon is a lot money for a movie of Dragon Ball Z, screening in the USA.
With this numbers coming right now, FUNimation won't hesitate to keep the movie in theaters a little longer.
illmatic19

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:11 pm Reply with quote
Would it be safe to assume it's over 3 million taking in weekend numbers? Not bad.
mdo7

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:47 pm Reply with quote
Wow this is very good for DBZ, nice job Funimation!!! Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
gravediggernalk
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:52 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad to see that this movie has done very well in theaters. The local theater that showed the movie only did so because it's management thought that the local anime club was big enough to warrant showing it if we could get enough people to come . . . not only did it sell out every day, the first night, they extended the showing first to its largest screen-room, and then to include a second screen-room because of the amount of people that showed up. They told us that, if we pre-ordered enough tickets, they're more than willing to bring Ghost in the Shell: Arise around when it comes out. Thanks to Dragon Ball Z, I can exchange those two and three hour drives (one way) to see anime screenings for forty-five minute trips.
skafreak51

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:06 pm Reply with quote
Man, imagine if that movie was actually great and had a lot of word of mouth. Myself and my group of friends are giant Dragon Ball fans but had no desire to see it. I could imagine the movie doing several times as well if it had gotten good press after its Japanese release.
Primus

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:15 pm Reply with quote
skafreak51 wrote:
Man, imagine if that movie was actually great and had a lot of word of mouth. Myself and my group of friends are giant Dragon Ball fans but had no desire to see it. I could imagine the movie doing several times as well if it had gotten good press after its Japanese release.

If you're Dragon Ball fans, I don't see how this movie could let you down. Now, if you're Dragon Ball Z fans ...
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:28 pm Reply with quote
Even for select screenings, this is good! Hope it can go past $10 million.
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:40 pm Reply with quote
Well that cool I wished I could of watch it but there was only one showing a day and that was late at night
KH91

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:14 pm Reply with quote
Announce the Blu-Ray/DVD release Funi.
Mr. slicer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:20 pm Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
skafreak51 wrote:

If you're Dragon Ball fans, I don't see how this movie could let you down. Now, if you're Dragon Ball Z fans ...

I am curious by that statement. Are you suggesting that this is more like the original Dragon Ball than DBZ or am I misinterpreting your statement?
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:29 pm Reply with quote
ivancho wrote:
2.2 millon is a lot money for a movie of Dragon Ball Z, screening in the USA.
With this numbers coming right now, FUNimation won't hesitate to keep the movie in theaters a little longer.

really? I guess Dragon Ball Z is not pokemon or yugioh.
taster of pork

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:44 pm Reply with quote
This sucks. Funimation finally shows a anime film close to where I live and I won't be able to make it. Sad Glad it's doing well for them.
nhat

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:49 pm Reply with quote
gravediggernalk wrote:
I'm glad to see that this movie has done very well in theaters. The local theater that showed the movie only did so because it's management thought that the local anime club was big enough to warrant showing it if we could get enough people to come . . . not only did it sell out every day, the first night, they extended the showing first to its largest screen-room, and then to include a second screen-room because of the amount of people that showed up. They told us that, if we pre-ordered enough tickets, they're more than willing to bring Ghost in the Shell: Arise around when it comes out. Thanks to Dragon Ball Z, I can exchange those two and three hour drives (one way) to see anime screenings for forty-five minute trips.

DBZ is pretty mainstream and luckily it's mainstream enough that it did this well but something like GitS, I'm not sure about but would like to see nonetheless
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2